Shoe rules just don't make sense.

Danjo

Barefooters
Sep 6, 2010
I'm not allowed to be barefoot at school because "Its dangerous" and "I could hurt myself", or really just because it says so in the handbook, and these are teachers excuses for the rule. Flip-flops, though, are perfectly fine. Does a quarter inch of foam and a single strap over my foot really make that much of a difference? Obviously not, because today I cut my foot on a desk, even while wearing my "safe", "protective", "acceptable" flips flops. This is not a case in which I would have avoided the injury if I was barefoot, though the slight difference in foot hight caused by being barefoot might have kept me from cuttin myself, but really the point is that it doesn't make any difference! And also I did not die from cutting my foot. My bare skin thats used to being out in the open probably offers more protection than a flip flop does to someone with shoe feet. So why are people who have no idea what their feet are really for or how to use them allowed to wear flip-flops? No one knows. Its just some deep seated irrational fear of completely bare feet. Since my school handbook only says "Shoes must be worn." and no description is given, I'm half temped to just paint my feet or something and claim its a "shoe". I bet I could get away with just putting some plastic shopping bags on my feet, but thats a little to ridiculous for me even.

Yes I have to agree, the

Yes I have to agree, the rules about shoes are stupid. I think a lot of it is caused by our society becoming so used to wearing shoes, and so everyone has started developing bias, ignorance, and distortion of what is actually true. Yeah, that thing about flip flops is almost dumber too, lol.

The school says it is not safe. Why can't we just sign a waiver saying we won't sue them if we get hurt, if they don't want to be sued or something? Oh yes, I forgot about the "health regulations" XD. Well anyway, if they say it's not safe to be barefoot, can I at least wear socks only? That's basically using the same logic as flip flops?.. NO they say. Wearing flip flops is not the same as barefoot, even though your foot is actually bare, it is sitting on top of a little foam. So it counts as a shoe.

Whatever. I guess that's part of being a barefoot enthusiast in a shod society. Maybe it's kind of like being a monk who is a UFC fighter.. you just can't do it in the monastery, lol

Yeah, that doesn't make any

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Flip flops are pretty worthless protection, and if they are allowed, than why not bare feet?

Although... I'm a microbiology professor. I insist that my students wear close-toed shoes in lab, not flip flops or sandals, which they think is hilarious because they all see me running barefoot around campus. Basically, broken microscope slides (covered in bacteria) end up accumulating in the "kick" area underneath the benches. They can give a person a nasty cut that quickly gets infected. I know this because it happened to me.

TJ - I totally need to get me some paperfeet for casual wear, and I'm gonna rock them. We're having a shoe revolution at the house here. My 7 year old was left unattended with Google and discovered that there has been some deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon for cattle ranching for the shoe industry. Now everyone in the family has to get vegan shoes so that we can save the rainforest. Minimalist and Vegan.

Hmm... those paper feet may

Hmm... those paper feet may be worth looking into. Though if they're actually paper they wouldn't handle winter so well.

I think socks are more protective than flip flops are, at least for the top of the foot, and our soles can take care of themselves.

I can't argue with that, pretty much the only time I've worn shoes since July is for our Chemistry Labs. Labs actually do have broken glass, bacteria, and harmful chemicals sometimes. Maybe normal society has the entire world confused with a lab?

Check into the Paper Feet,

Check into the Paper Feet, Danjo. They're not made of paper really. They are made of recycled billboard. Very durable stuff.

Paper feet are very durable

Paper feet are very durable (I have a pair). However, if your school has hard floors and no carpet, you'll find Paper Feet to be quite slippery. When I wear them on my tile floors I have to be very careful!

Wish I'd gone to this

Wish I'd gone to this school:

http://www.barefooters.org/best-of/school-th.txt

...I feel ya. I've gotten a talking to at the mall, surrounded by people wearing flip-flops whose soles haven't been cleaned EVER, while my natural soles are cleaned each and every day in the shower.

Also had a librarian approach me once for kicking off my shoes and exposing my SOCKS. Seriously, it must be purely cultural, because barefoot criticism is almost never, ever practical. Except where I work, at a cafe, where I regularly drop mayo and blades on my shoes :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7