Shod or Unshod...that is the question...

ewheeldrive

Barefooters
Jun 7, 2010
So I'll be running the Richmond Half this Saturday and still not sure if I'm barefooting it or not. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the course and not too sure what I might encounter. To prepare myself, I've done 15 plus at an easy pace barefoot. Yesterday I did a 10 miler at goal pace around town, the first and last two miles were the roughest chip and seal I could find. I'm shooting for a 7:40 pace barefoot, 7:30 with the zems. The 7:40 pace is a breeze over decent terrain but probably couldn't keep that pace if things get really bad, especially toward the end. Should I throw caution to the wind and go bare, go bare and carry the zems, or just wear them from the start and shoot for a better time? Also, if anyone know the course from a barefoot perspective, do tell. Thanks!

I always bring a pair of

I always bring a pair of shoes to an unfamiliar race course. It's better to be safe then sorry.

I also think about what my ultimate goal is in a race when I decide whether to shoe up. If it's a PR, then I put my shoes on. If my goal is just to finish the distance, then I usually just go barefoot.

Is this a road race or trail

Is this a road race or trail race? How do the Zems (or other footwear) make you faster? I can't imagine any kind of shoes that would make me faster for a road race.

It's road race.  In terms of

It's road race. In terms of speed, if I'm run paved pea gravel or really worn chip and seal, I'll slow down a little. Maybe I just don't have the pads for it yet, but I'll proceed more cautiously than if I had something really minimal on my feet. I've got chip n seal near my house that's rougher on my feet than any technical trail run and most gravel roads I've barefooted. Ironically, my town has some of the highest taxes in the state, but road maintnence is not very high on thier priority's list. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7