Share with me your favorite barefoot, running, etc related books

barefoot.zumba.runner

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
Or just great running, health fitness resource books

I'm creating a google doc, as per TJ ;) and it'll be stickied for all to see.

So far here's the list

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Atyb-evOnbYFdElvYzh2WmZXSlduU3hIM01uODBJV1E&hl=en

Besides Born to Run, which

Besides Born to Run, which I'm sure will be on everyone's list, here are my favorites:

1) Ultramarathon Man, Dean Karnazes (wow...just...wow)

2) 50/50, 50 Marathons in 50 Days, Dean Karnazes (double wow)

3) Once a Runner, John Parker (best running fiction book ever)

4) Run Fast, Runner's World (this is a great training book that started my running addiction)

Running Brave (Story of Billy

Running Brave (Story of Billy Mills)

On the Edge (about Dipsea trail race)

Run Fast: How to Race Your Fastest 5k or 10K - Hal Higdon

Those are some of my favorites. The Higdon book is masterful.

"The Perfect Mile"  by Neal

"The Perfect Mile" by Neal Bascomb - Really good book about Roger Bannister breaking the 4 minute mile.

I painstakingly got through Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karneze a few weeks ago. Worse book I have ever read about running. That dude needs to get over himself, reading about him describing his perfect body, his glistening muscles, and his God-like persona, I was going to puke. Never was a fan of his, and this book just proves how much of a moron he really is.

adam james

adam james said:
I painstakingly got through Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karneze a few weeks ago. Worse book I have ever read about running. That dude needs to get over himself, reading about him describing his perfect body, his glistening muscles, and his God-like persona, I was going to puke. Never was a fan of this, and this book just proves how much of a moron he really is.

I saw an interview with him not too long ago. He's just not the type of guy I'd want to hang around, but I have to respect his ability to make a living as a runner-- not many people get to do that.

Haha, I recently tried to

Haha, I recently tried to read 50/50 and got about a chapter into it and then skimmed a bit and never opened it again. That is the second book in my life that I started and didn't finish. I can't even pinpoint what it was about it, but it felt like I was reading a long magazine article.

Sorry Saypay, not trying to knock you or anything. I'm just more of a "For Whom the Bell Tolls" type of guy. So far the only running book that I have read and kind of liked was "Born to Run", but I didn't really enjoy it the second time I read it either.

I haven't read any barefoot

I haven't read any barefoot running books as of yet. I do plan to get Born to Run since it's the rave, and The Barefoot Book mentioned on here by Longboard. I have alot of books on many different things like The Fair Tax book and so on. Fascinating stuff. I like educational, and learning books too.

"Where the Wild Things

"Where the Wild Things Are", that is if footie PJ's count as minimal footwear.

My kids just watched that

My kids just watched that movie the other night, Ram. We have the book as well. Very sweet.

I heard alot the stuff about

I heard alot the stuff about Dean K. and then saw the movie and was surprised by his goodnaturedness. Hi kid is pudgy, too, and I thought that was interesting considering his running "cause".

Norm Deplume wrote:adam

Norm Deplume said:
adam james said:
I painstakingly got through Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karneze a few weeks ago. Worse book I have ever read about running. That dude needs to get over himself, reading about him describing his perfect body, his glistening muscles, and his God-like persona, I was going to puke. Never was a fan of this, and this book just proves how much of a moron he really is.

I saw an interview with him not too long ago. He's just not the type of guy I'd want to hang around, but I have to respect his ability to make a living as a runner-- not many people get to do that.
I ran about 5 miles with him, and 8 others, last Fall
and couldn't believe that the pleasant guy I'd spent 45 minutes chatting with in the morning was the same person I watched on a stage that evening being a self-righteous prat!

He's a nice guy when dealing with a small group.

I agree- "Ultramarathon Man"

I agree- "Ultramarathon Man" is not a great writing, but it was enough to inspire me to start running ultras. It's better than "Checken Soup for the Ultramarathoner's Soul". :)

As far as Dean the person- I just met him last night. I was a bit shocked he was as humble and self-depreciating as he was... that definitely does not come through in his books. One thing to remember- he does a lot of self-promotion. He's basically making a living running ultras... which is unheard of. I listened to Jurek talk last fall... the most he ever won in a race was $400... and that was the Copper Canyon ultra in BTR. It's a part-time sport at best, and Dean does what he has to do to make it work for him.

We heart Where the Wild

We heart Where the Wild Things Are. It was my Max's favorite book for the longest time and when the movie came out we were thrilled! Missed it in the theaters though, but whipped up our own "theater" for when it came to dvd.

Footie wolf suit pjs may just count as minimalist Ram...think you're on to something. Do you think that would work for winter running here in MN??

It's funny, I love Born To

It's funny, I love Born To Run, but I find Chris McDougall highly irritating n interviews, like a frat boy philosopher. I am sure he is much easier to take in an intimate setting. It's so hard to have to relentlessly promote yourself whether it's writing, art, music. But that is what it takes and it's usually irritating to everyone else involved in the same activities.

Some I enjoyedArthur Lydiard

Some I enjoyed

Arthur Lydiard - Master coach (biography)

Lore of Running - Tim Noakes

Runners world - The Runners body

The 2nd 2 are sports scientists..interesting if you're into how stuff works.

I enjoyed Ultramarathon man too, but possibly that was because I read it soon after reading Running Hot. The story of Lisa Tamati's Death Valley run. Remember the stories about holidays we had to write at school, and our kids did/do now...and then we did this, and then we did that!!! erck!

Can't go past BTR though as my favourite.

Marc

Zum, I've unstickied this

Zum, I've unstickied this thread. I hope you got a lot of good suggestions.

TOTALLY off topic...Can't

TOTALLY off topic...

Can't believe this is my first post on BRS, but...

I'm not surprised to read such different impressions. There are people who seem to be total douche-bags in online forums, but who turn out to be quite pleasant in real life. And, vice versa. And, everywhere in between.

I'm learning to give everyone at least two first impressions - each in different venues.

(I still suspect that great disparities in personas deserve extra consideration!)

That is all. Carry on.

Thanks TJ, do we have a

Thanks TJ, do we have a section somewhere on the site for recommended reading, books, online resources etc?

Welcome aboard Buz, most of us on BRS are real douchebags..online and off :p We're passionate, open minded, friendly, resourceful, compassionate, loving douches though

How about create a

How about create a spreadsheet and upload it to Google Docs. Later, we can try to incorporate it in some type of BFR library. I want to add links to research as well.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon