Seasonal/temperature changes question.

nethead

Barefooters
Jun 30, 2010
Hey guys, I was hoping some of you more experienced runners may have some answers to my questions. I have been running since last June, barefoot or in VFF since July, I have built my mileage up to just over seven and a half miles so far and I usually run three times a week.

In the past week in SouthCentral PA we seem to have gone straight from Winter to Spring, with temps in the 80s with high humidity, and I find I'm dying around mile 4 and having to take a walk break. My body feels fine, but my breathing/lungs seem to be the problem, I'm wondering if I should cut back on miles and work my way back up while acclimatizing? I was also thinking it could be high the pollen count? Is it 'normal' to be so effected by the change in seasonal temperatures?

hey Annette ....might be

hey Annette :-D....might be pollen...most likely it's the humidity though that affects the breath...air is "heavier" with water vapor and more difficult to get that full oxygen exchange in dryer times...I think it's supposed to cool back off a little tomorrow :). Other than that, listen to your body, and do what you can do...it will adapt with time.

If it's in the 80's, it could

If it's in the 80's, it could be temperature too. Last summer runner's world did an interesting feature about the efficiency of running based on temperature, and the effect of going from the 60's to the 80's was big.

We are having temps in the

We are having temps in the 80s here too, and at first it was kicking my hiney. Like you, I had to walk more often than when it was colder. But since I've pushed through and kept going, I'm getting used to the heat and the sweat again, and it's getting easier; I'm hardly walking at all anymore if at all. It just takes time for the body to adjust to the change in temperature, humidity, and season. I go through this every year, and within a couple of weeks or so, I'm fine again. Give it a couple more weeks at these temps. Keep at it. Work through it. You'll be stronger for it.

And make sure you drink ample

And make sure you drink ample water before and after to allow your body to cool itself appropriately. I never do this but should...

having just come out of

having just come out of summer here in Australia I can tell you for sure that high temps and high humidity will kill your speed/distance and you will feel more tired. Don't despair. I found running in the morning was the best before the heat of the day and hopefully before the humidity kicks into high gear. Yay for autumn so I'm not drenched in sweat before walking out of the house:)

That makes me feel a bit

That makes me feel a bit better then, I was getting worried it was just me! Tomorrow it is supposed to be back in the 60s so I'll see how my run goes in lower temps. Thank you all for your help.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7