Running on the Beach

Mark Wilkinson

Barefooters
Jun 2, 2012
Ypsilanti, MI
Are there any tips or special considerations that should be made for BFR on the beach? I am heading out to NC soon for a vacation and am looking to do some beach running. I am just concerned about hurting myself doing TMTS on the beach. In my mind transitioning to beach running would be akin to transitioning to BFR from shod. Is it that dramatic?

I am not looking to adjust to anything new, as I will only be there a week, so if it does take time to adjust I will likely just stick to the roads/sidewalks.

Thanks!

Are there any tips or special considerations that should be made for BFR on the beach? I am heading out to NC soon for a vacation and am looking to do some beach running. I am just concerned about hurting myself doing TMTS on the beach. In my mind transitioning to beach running would be akin to transitioning to BFR from shod. Is it that dramatic?

I am not looking to adjust to anything new, as I will only be there a week, so if it does take time to adjust I will likely just stick to the roads/sidewalks.

Thanks!
I would stay on the hard wet sand close to the waves. The softer dry stuff probably does involve a slight different gait. Or run knee-deep in the water for extra resistance.

When running on the beach it really depends on where on the beach you run. If you run closer to the water where the ground is firmer it's not to bad, but running farther away from the water in the deeper sand is harder work. I personally don't think you should have any problems other than muscle fatigue because it is harder to run on sand. You may want to shorten your runs to compensate for that.

I would just say that once you increase the mileage the constant slant of the sand may get to you.
Here on Lake MI the sand tends to slop quite steeply especially the wet packed sand. But I wouldn't say that its any different in this regard to a slopped or sagging road....

have fun....beach running is great for all three of your soles =)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7