Running in Possession (RIP)

Art

Barefooters
Jun 24, 2010
I wanted to try an old native american (apache) training ritual i'd heard about because my 3-miler tonight was in danger of being boring. So I decided I would take a mouthful of water out the door with me and try to keep it in my mouth for the whole three miles.

However, as I was getting ready to head out the door, my housemate was pouring a glass of (hard) cider, so I took a big swig of that and out the door I went! About halfway through my run, I started wondering if my mouthful of cider constituted an "open container." I decided no, since my mouth was decidedly not open! And besides, I could always swallow the evidence if confronted...(where have I heard that one before? But I digress...)

Anyway, three miles later, my housemate was not super-impressed as I spat about half a mouthful of nasty, backwashed cider back out into a glass in an attempt to prove my awesomeness. Still, I think there is some potential here. It would be interesting to try with harder alcohols...a truly mobile pub!

Be my guest!

Be my guest!

I haven't tried holding

I haven't tried holding alcohol in my mouth whilst running (seems like a shame to me).

I have taken a 7oz flask of alcohol-iskiate mixture on my last 2 half marathons. Really helps with the cramping at mile 11.

wink.png

I think a small flask is a

I think a small flask is a great idea. That way, if someone asks a question or I want to say hello to another runner or really say anything more than "hnn-uhhh", I can at least replenish after.

I realize that if someone asked about what I was doing (if they noticed anything awry), I was going to have a *very* hard time explaining and still completing the task at hand!

Would you swallow it if

Would you swallow it if someone asked you a question or spit it out? I mean that alone would look funny enough, forget the being barefoot part.

It is the big question,

It is the big question, though, isn't it :evil:

I tried to be a bit more mindful of my breathing on today's run (with less huffing and puffing), with limited success. I don't think I'll be able to RIP for a loooong time, though.
moz-screenshot.png

Back in the day the Apaches

Back in the day the Apaches dreamed-up this training technique, they probably didn't have anyone passing by to strike up a conversation with. Bears and elk aren't known for being chatty. They wouldn't have had as many choices for "hard cider" either.

If you are stopped by the authorities, It might be difficult convincing them that your barefootedness isn't directly related to the drink on hand - or in mouth, as it were.

And are there any RWI laws on the books?

Alcohol or not.... what is

Alcohol or not.... what is the point of holding a mouthful of anything and running three miles?

It reminds me of a bad tasteless joke about a girlfriend and a certain type of bank.

I think the point is to do

I think the point is to do the entire run while nose-breathing. If you try to cheat and breathe through your mouth, you either have to swallow or spit. {insert filthy joke here}

Or maybe the Apaches just really couldn't agree on whether the Nathan hand-helds or waist-packs were better, and this was the only other way they could think of to carry a mid-run drink.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts