Running form video - feedback welcome

I just cobbled together a video of me running to get an impression of how I am moving, and I thought you might be kind enough to give this newbie some feedback and tips :)

All constructive comment welcome - and I'll try to get closer shots next time!

Thanks in advance,

Footsie

Hai Footsie :)

Day 8? That's it? How do you feel so far? Also, how much do you run? Have you been running a while in shoes or did you just start running, period?

To your form - you look relaxed and comfortable, but you're overstriding (foot landing out in front of the center of gravity, leg outstretched). This is a habit that we develop from running in shoes with built-up heels, and really something to work on.

Do you generally run on grass as in the video? I'd suggest at least short bits of running on harder surfaces. Roads, basically. Doing this alone should really self-correct the overstriding (because landing on the heels on a hard surface hurts).

Contrary to the subject line of a popular thread, you might want to look into increasing your stride rate (at a given pace, ie, not runnig fast, just using shorter, quicker strides). That technique helps a LOT of people get a lot of problems with their form fixed very quickly.

Knee-bending is also going to be in your future, but I personally think it's a mistake to do that too early in the transition/learning phases - it can be pretty strenuous, especially if you're doing it inefficiently or too much.

In your video, you mention that you think you're leaning at the waist. Did you write that because it's something you're trying to do intentionally? It looks to me as though you could actually raise your head a little (and look where you're headed, lol).

But, really, if you feel good and have no problems at all, then don't go fiddling too much with form techniques. Allow yourself (your body and mind) to adapt to this great activity. Enjoy every minute of it! :D

Hi Willie, thanks for the tips. This is my 8th fully barefoot run; before that, there were a couple of weeks in VFFs, but I stopped that when I realised I was liable to TMTS. I've run off and on for years (more off than on), have done a couple 10k and a half marathon, and was training for a marathon when injury struck. At the moment I am only running barefoot, so 6-12km per week at the moment.

For this, I have been mainly running on pavement or packed dirt trails (more of the former than the latter), I ended up on grass this time for the shooting as it was possible to prop my iPod up on a bench :)

I think this - and the consciousness of trying to be "in frame" threw me off a bit, but I do think I tend to overstride. I'd always thought that I wasn't a heel lander but watching some footage of me in shoes showed me with a very slight heel landing, and a slight overstride causing this, so that's my homework at the moment. From ChiRunning, I got the idea of trying to maintain a straight line shoulder-hip-ankle, and I know I tend to hunch forward, so I would like to avoid this.

I've been playing with a metronome and left to my own devices I'm at about 160spm. going above that is a bit tricky at lower speeds, which is what I am trying for at the moment. My cadence on grass in this video wasn't really representative, I suspect.

I feel basically OK so far. I started with 1-2km runs, day on, day off. I just moved up to 3km over the weekend, and I think I will go back to 2-2.5 for a while, as my feet are feeling a bit pounded (this is probably also a consequence of doing more on pavement than trail, which is where I had started). I certainly enjoy the runs while they are happening; after the last couple I've felt like I may have overdone it a bit though. I suspect I am pushing off too much, which is straining my big toe, ball, and little toe ball area.

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

Hi Footsie, looks like you are doing ok for just starting into your barefoot transition. The biggest thing I notice is how you seem to be reaching in front of yourself with your feet. Work on shortening your stride and increasing cadence a little will help you learn to come down more underneath your center of gravity like Willie said. Other than that you seem to look pretty comfortable and will just need to learn how to listen to your body to make the fine adjustments needed in your form. Good luck and welcome to barefoot running!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon