Running form on hills

ajb422

Barefooters
Sep 28, 2010
So I noticed that when I run uphills its far easier bf/min than with shoes. Then I realized I'm not actually using a midfoot strike on bigger hills (like around a 6% ish grade is when I notice it) I go into more of a forefoot strike. This this a problem? I mean I can force a more midfoot strike but it seems to take alot more effort and isn't as...hmm lets call it springy. Am I better off forcing a midfoot strike since eventually it'll feel natural or just trusting my feet to do what is best for them?

Trust your feet. Always. As

Trust your feet. Always. As long as your feet are relaxed they'll tell you what's best. Besides, your foot is probably at the same angle going uphill as it is normally in relation to your body, it's just the ground that's changed.

ajb422 wrote: So I noticed

ajb422 said:
So I noticed that when I run uphills its far easier bf/min than with shoes.

ajb, I noticed this too when I was first doing barefoot running more seriously. In fact going up hills was positively springy and pleasant. It was a revelation!

At the time I was on the chirunning forums and I mentioned this; I was like, wow this is so great! but I can tell what I'm doing isn't quite the chirunning ideal. There was a bit too much spring in my calf.

I got a stern response from a doctrinaire chirunner, who said: 1) you're probably imagining it because you want barefoot to be better. 2) [implied] you aren't putting enough effort into learning the true chirunning form.

And, to make a long story short, that was my last day on that forum. :)

Anyway, the moral of the story is, if it feels good, you're probably doing something right. Don't go out of your way to meet some preconceived ideal. Stick it to the Man!

stomper wrote:At the time I

stomper said:
At the time I was on the chirunning forums and I mentioned this; I was like, wow this is so great! but I can tell what I'm doing isn't quite the chirunning ideal. There was a bit too much spring in my calf.

I got a stern response from a doctrinaire chirunner, who said: 1) you're probably imagining it because you want barefoot to be better. 2) [implied] you aren't putting enough effort into learning the true chirunning form.

And, to make a long story short, that was my last day on that forum. :)

Anyway, the moral of the story is, if it feels good, you're probably doing something right. Don't go out of your way to meet some preconceived ideal. Stick it to the Man!

I think I made it a day of lurking in the chi running forums before I decided they were crazy. Something about the idea of leaning forward so gravity could pull you or something like that was mentioned. I felt like going on a rant about how earth curvature works. Then decided it was smarter to leave and never come back. I really just wanted my shin splints to go away and was looking for something that would work. This seemed like the much more biologically sound (not to mention fun) method to me.

Oh, chi running is okay.  The

Oh, chi running is okay. The book in particular really does a good job of promoting the idea of listening to your body.

As an activity it's really pretty similar to barefoot running and to POSE running in the way it looks -- they just explain it differently. And few years ago, before VFF's were widespread, chi running was one of the only options out there if you wanted to learn HOW to run better. Most running training programs were just about workouts.

Back then I got some chirunning lessons, read the book, and was trying to improve my technique so I took off my shoes. Then (slowly) I came to the realization that with the shoes off I didn't really need to worry so much about the technique... it was getting better on its own.

The problem with chi-running, IMHO, is it's a guru-run system, built on the martial arts model of disciple-ship. So there is only one "true" way to do it, and it flows from the instructor. This model of doing things only allows "listen to your body" to go so far. Eventually I listened my way right out of the style!

I was just telling Marie in

I was just telling Marie in another thread, for someone wanting to follow POSE (or Chi) it's best to just take what works for you and leave the rest behind. Don't try to fit into their mold. Follow your own form, really. That's what's great about barefoot running...it will help you to find that form that is only unique to you.

The Chi running book is a

The Chi running book is a little irritating sometimes but it gave me a lot of pointers to improve my barefoot running form. For people inclined to reading how-to guides I would recommand checking the book from the library, read the whole thing and pick and choose what makes senses and feels good.

In my case, I was focussing on how to lift my foot and how to put it down, trying to apply some of Ken Bob advices. My calves hurt after each run because I was holding too much tension in my feet and ankles. After reading Chi Running I just relaxed, kept my spine straight, forgot about my feet and never had to worry about tight calves again.

I need to read/hear the same thing many times, expressed in many different ways before it sinks in. Chi Running was a useful read and i recommand it.

I didnt try the forum and I suspect I would not last very long there...

As for running uphill, he recommands running sideways. I don't have hills around here so I didn't get a chance to try. It sounds crazy enough that I'm curious to give it a shot but I don't expect much from it.

I actually do run uphill

I actually do run uphill sideways on occasion. At some point it was suggested somewhere to do that on very steep hills while trail running. I have no idea where I heard it though. Probably on one of the introductory stickies on a trail running site. Intor stickied threads are my favorite reads. It works different muscles thats for sure. I haven't done it alot, but it was sorta fun and all my normal hill muscles were killing me so it made for a nice little break for them. I've never done it barefoot though. Well unless you count zems on a treadmill but I feel like that combination really doesn't count. Some day I'll be cool enough to go far enough to make it to the hills barefoot.

Maybe I'll have to give the pose or chi running another shot and just go to the books and go into with I'll probably want to ignore alot of it attitude. I do love getting suggestions on how to get better.

sloutre wrote:As for running

sloutre said:
As for running uphill, he recommands running sideways. I don't have hills around here so I didn't get a chance to try. It sounds crazy enough that I'm curious to give it a shot but I don't expect much from it.

The sideways trick from chirunning is a GREAT TRICK for steep uphills when you're fatigued. It's a bit hard to explain, wonder if there's a video there.

It's like 2-step dancing,

It's like 2-step dancing, except you stay on one side a little longer.

I'll try next time I find a

I'll try next time I find a hill then. It may take a few hours of driving before I find a hill, NJ is pretty flat!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7