Run with my first blister?

runnergirl16

Barefooters
Jul 23, 2011
Hi: I am just transitioning from my Merrell barefoot shoes to running barefoot. Did 3.2 miles in around 25 minutes...and got a blister only on my right foot. No other pain anywhere. I don't run everyday...as I crosstrain alot with weights and yoga...so..I was wondering. Should I run barefoot even though I have this blister, or should I put my merrells back on? I'm also ramping up for a 13.1 race in the MOUNTAINS in less than six weeks...so what's the reality I can do this mileage totally barefoot????

First off welcome!When I got

First off welcome!

When I got blisters I would wait about 12 hours and then drain them with a needle keeping the skin intact and then hold off until the blister was mostly healed before running barefoot again. And with that I would determine the cause for the blister and adjust accordingly (heat, friction, terrain, tmts). Sounds like you went to far to soon and got the blister. Next time I would not go as far if I were you. Just because you dont feel pain now doesn't mean that down the road you wont have any problems going to far to soon.

Before recommending running that distance barefoot or even in minimalist shoes, what is your background (ex. how long have you been barefoot running/distances, how long have you been running in minimalist shoes, how long running period etc..)

13.1 in six weeks?  What was

13.1 in six weeks? What was your longest minfootwear run? How long have you been running minimal? If you have that part under control, then you would just need to try to get your plantar skin conditioned. Still six weeks isn't much time. Try some gravel bucket training.

About the blister, as long as it's not deep and has popped or you pop it, I would run on it. I do it all the time. It's not a big deal. Now the proper advice for me to give you is, let it heal, let it fully close up, you don't want an infection, all that. I'm just telling you what I do. I have never had an infection due to an open blister or a cut on my foot, and I have never lost a day of running due to an open blister or a cut on my foot.

Welcome, Girl!

Girl (since TJ has done the

Girl (since TJ has done the honors of short-naming you):

Welcome to the family. TJ and Eric have both given you good direction. I'm an old soldier, so I can tell you that you could do that race barefoot. The dark side of that truth is that the price you and your feet would pay would be both immense and unecessary. I'm guessing it will take you 2-3 months to condition the plantar skin (your soles) to be ready to cover sustained distance barefoot. If you're already running good distances in your True Gloves, then you've probably already started building a good foundation of strong foot muscles and connecting tissues. And if you are 16 years old (although I guess from your name you could have been born in 1916), you've got a tremendous advantage over those of us who are a bit older. You're starting off right and avoiding the damaging heel-striking that has led many of us here after many years.

Take it slowly, focus on relaxing your feet and getting your form correct (which means lifting and gently placing your feet down mid-foot first while leaning slightly forward from your ankeles), and enjoy!

Phil

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7