Run Amoc Lite or Smooth

Barefoot Cassie

Barefooters
Sep 10, 2010
I have decided to go with the Run Amoc shoes for winter running wear. Chicago is just too cold for me. I can't decided between the Lite or the Smooth.

http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=107&CFID=48477720&CFTOKEN=12264323

Will my feet get too hot in the smooth?

Too cold in the Lite?

Will the Lite let in too much moisture?

Will the smooth be too much?

Does anyone here have any experiance with these? Or just your opinion would help too.

Cassie, I dont envy your

Cassie, I dont envy your position regarding the cold weather. I dont have much to offer in the way of advice but I hope you find something cozy! the run amocs look ok but my concern is they will turn into a big wet sponge and they are super duper ventialated.. It almost seems as though KSO's would be a better option if they fit your feet. No?

Barefoot Burt wrote:Cassie,

Barefoot Burt said:
Cassie, I dont envy your position regarding the cold weather. I dont have much to offer in the way of advice but I hope you find something cozy! the run amocs look ok but my concern is they will turn into a big wet sponge and they are super duper ventialated.. It almost seems as though KSO's would be a better option if they fit your feet. No?

Well, I was hoping to wear some socks with the run amoc's. I have not found anywhere to try the KSO's on so I'm not sure how that would work for me. I was thinking along the lines of warmth and keeping the toes together to help keep them warm (you know, the glove vs. mitten debate).

My run this morning was at 34 degrees and I think that is a bit too cold for me for BF, my toes would not warm up and they were on the numb side...I cut my run short to be safe. It might have been okay if I ran in the afternoon (sun warming pavement all day), but I go out at 5:30...before the sun is up. Actually it is 66 here now...perfect BFR weather. Wish I had a babysitter.

I don't know. I keep going in circles in my head with pro's and con's to each shoe. I hate to be getting any shoes at all.

I don't know anything about

I don't know anything about the Run Amocs specifically but I wouldn't worry too much about moisture myself. I believe waterproof shoes are overrated since once you get water in there it won't come out again so it's better to have a shoe with good drainage. What I'd do is focus on socks instead, my plan for the winter is a thin liner sock, I might use toe socks for this to keep my toes dry, and a wool sock with it. This'll keep your feet warm and dry since wool is even better at insulation when wet for some reason and the liner will wick away any moisture that reaches your feet.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Cassie,

Barefoot TJ said:
Cassie, check out our 2010 Minimalist Footwear Review & Buyer's Guide at http://www.barefootrunners.org/images/barefoottj/Run%20Free/MinimalistFootwearReview.pdf. There is a review in there on the RunAmocs, as well as other options you could try.

I have read the guide 2 times now. The review on the run amocs does not compare the smooth and the lites and it does not say anything about winter running...only trail. There are a couple of other shoes that interested me but the didn't have my size.

I think I may buy the KSO's first, just because they have a better return policy and they are a bit cheaper. Then if those don't work I will go with the run amoc lites.

Sometimes you can find other

Sometimes you can find other reviews online too.

You could always try to get

You could always try to get in touch with Donald. He seemed to be pretty involved in their design. His blog is running and rambling or somethign like that.

I would go kso..I think they

I would go kso..I think they will keep you warmer. I also have an Ultra friend who runs in huarches and BF and he DID NOT like the run amocs at all. He said they were stiff and had poor road feel

There's no way that *for me*,

There's no way that *for me*, KSOs will be warm enough for Illinois winter, even with socks. I'm exploring other options for winter. I might be a special case though, because I have an issue with numbness in parts of my feet, even in temps as high as 55 degrees until my feet get good and warmed up, which took over a mile the other day, when it was 60+ out.

Well, I went ahead and

Well, I went ahead and ordered the KSO's. I hope they don't suck for me and keep my toes warm enough...If they don't work well enough I will get the run amoc's and use the KSO's for other stuff.

Keeping your toes together

Keeping your toes together will keep them the warmest.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7