Recovering from Herniated Disk

Catchowder1

Barefooters
May 12, 2010
I discovered a herniated disc in early Dec 2011. I initially thought I pulled a glute so I RICED, when recovery halted I saw a doctor. I've been having it treated since February. Oral medications didn't seem to affect my pain and inflammation so I opted for the steroid epidural. I have significantly improved but will be getting another shortly.

Currently I am consistently doing my PT exercises, eating healthy, drinking plenty of fluids, haven't gained any weight, and am staying reasonably active (within my limits). I still can't fully extend my leg when sitting, yet.

What can I expect during the next few months of recovery?

That's really dependent on your health. If you "discovered" a herniated disc and it didn't get better on it's own (you needed an epidural - and you're getting another) - then something is hindering your health.

In early December while on a normal run my left glute suddenly was very painful; I thought I pulled something. The herniated L5/S1 was subsequently found on an MRI by a doctor in February. If something is hindering my health then what types of things should I be looking for - musculoskeletal imbalance, etc?

I understand that you can't and aren't treating, diagnosing me or my ailment. Just looking for general information.

Thanks.