Recommendation - winter & trails?

hi,

Currently, Im transitioning to MR using VFF Spyridon LS, which Im actually quite liking,
except the left foot is getting sore, because its a bit small...
So, Im considering getting some more, but the next size up, which I think will solve the problem, (its only 6mm, but that will make all the difference!)

Anyway, If Im getting some new shoes, I guessed I should review the idea, and see if anyone had a better thoughts...

Where I am in Spain, its all hills, and running on trails, which are dirt tracks which both large and small stones/rock (which is why I chose the Spyridon as they have the rock plate), also off trail - grasses can be very 'sharp' in summer.
Its gets hot in the summer (40C), and cold/snow in the Winter.

I think my options are:
a) another set of VFF Spyridon LS
b) Sandals - something like Invisible shoes.
c) Barefoot ;)
d) something else ?

(a) - easy option, only thing im dont really like is, that taking them on/off is a tricky (perhaps because they are a size too small?) ... this means carrying them whilst BF and then putting on if necessary is a pain... im also not sure if they are good in the winter.

(b) attractive option, as perhaps a backup to barefoot, seem easy to get on/off, presumably sizing not as critical as (a)... Snow... arghh, makes me shiver already, no protection against sharp grasses in summer.

(c) i think best used as a combo with something else, when the trail gets too rough... and for the snow/chilly weather.

(d) perhaps the perfect option, if i just knew what it was !

As an aside, does anyone know where I can order MR shoes from in Spain, or Europe or with international shipping....

Thanks for your thoughts, now im off for a run :)

Mark

As far as where to order in Spain, I've no idea. Running sandals are great, and are probably the closest to barefoot for feel. The problem is the mud, and if you're running trails when it rains the sandals may not be good (sandals tend to get slippy on top on the footbed). I personally don't like the vff's because they don't fit my funky feet, but if you like them then get another set in the other size, that way you can have them fit BOTH feet. One thing I've learned in the last 21-22 months of barefoot and minimalist, shoe fit is very very very important. If you're digging the vff's that you're currently using I don't see a reason to mess with that and get something else. Good luck Mark!

Thanks, yeah the vff seem like a good option - though a bit pricey.

Did a 2.2k run today, which included my first barefoot run (1.2k)
trail was actually not too bad (perhaps due to being muddy from rain), seems the bigger problem was the last 500m of road, as this seem to have bits of gravel on it - i assume my feet could get used to this ?!

I purchased a set of Merrells a little while back and have a review somewhere on here too. I think the Merrell Sonic Gloves would be the perfect winter trail shoe if they fit me better. They are just too narrow. They have thier trail rock plate in them like their more popular Trail Gloves, but instead of mesh uppers they have a very tough material, almost like some kind of canvas. I think its even water resistant IIRC. They are very hot to wear out when its warm. But for a more dedicated winter tail shoe, and if you have narrower feet, then maybe they would work out pretty slick:
IMG_4169_800.jpg

I find the best shoes for cold-wet winter are actually ones with plenty of ventilation in the upper. If you wear a wool sock, your foot will stay warm even when wet and the ventilated upper allows the water to evaporate.

I also use the Merrill Trail Glove for winter running. The sole is a quite hard compared to the VFFs and protects from icy points of frozen mud and slush well. Over the first couple of weeks of using them I kept loosening the laces until now I wear them untied and the laces completely slack (I guess I should take them out.) Winter is almost back to Ohio, gonna be wearing them soon.

Sorry, MR, i meant minalmist running, opposed to BF for barefoot - id seen this a few times here, and thought it was a common abbreviation. Perhaps not after all.

Im reading ken bobs book now, so now thinking i should be upping my barefoot miles ... So, think best option is something i can easily slip on for my short run ( on tarmac) to/from trail, then barefoot it.
Merrel look like a good optoion, but think i need to go somewhere to try on, to get the right fit, perhaps when i visit uk next , if nothing in Spain.

So have to decide if i bite the bullet on some more vff in meantime - ho hum.

I agree with the Merrell option. The Sonic Gloves work well for winter. I also use Lock Laces with mine instead of regular shoe laces

http://www.locklaces.com/

You might also check out the Vivobarefoot Neo Trail shoes, although I think you will only be able to find them in the UK and Germany in your part of the world.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon