Ragnar Relay and frustrated at a "barefoot runner"

prajna101

Barefooters
Oct 3, 2011
So I am coming here because you all will understand. So the short version of the story is that I got a last minute invite to be a runner for a Ragnar Relay NW passage race. I did not know anyone on the team nor did they know me. (for the long version you can check out my race repot on my blog at http://staggerforwardrejoicing.com )

I run most of the time totally barefoot. I have a pair of VFFs that I use when it is too hot or too cold. I also have a pair of NB Minimus that I use for speed or unpredictable terrain or really long distances.

Anyway, I show up for this relay with other people depending on me. I had about a week of time knowing that I was even doing this race and I had just finished an Ironman so I decided the best thing to do was run in my minimus shoes. Some of the running would be at night. All would be on roads I did not know. In the end, it was a great choice of footwear.

On my team, there was a "barefoot runner". But the kind I hate. He wore shoes all the time, full running shoes. He had a pair of VFFs that he races in. But the only time he wears them is running and racing. He is poorly trained. Anyway. He toed the line and ran some pretty amazing speeds during his relay legs.

The road surfaces where horrible. I have run full marathons totally BF but would not even attempt a mile on these roads. They were like cobblestones covered in chip seal with random crushed concrete chunks around. The night runs would be horrible BF or VFFs. But he did it.

After the second leg he was hurting. He still ran well (max pace was 5:32 amazing). The third leg he was really limping but would not stop. In the end, he has a full fracture of the bones in his foot. I write about everything in my blog, but I decided not to mention that he was in VFFs because I figured people would use it as fodder against minimalist running. I am kind of irked that he was unprepared and made some dumb TMTS choices and caused a stupid injury that will reflect on BF running.

Ok. I am done venting. I just needed to chat with people who think like I do.

BTW the Ragnar race is amazingly well run. I would highly recommend it.

Todd

Check out the whole race report here http://staggerforwardrejoicing.com

OMG! I freaked the hell out when I read this! I know him, sorta. He is a friend of a friends and I friended him on Facebook awhile ago cuz my friend said he was minimalist.

I lectured him on FB when he posted his "prize" -his broken foot. It is obvious from his comments on there that he thinks this is "no big deal" and that he may even think it's "kinda cool".

I told him this injury is going to set up a chain reaction in his body that will probably detrimentally affect him to some extent the rest of his life. I also told him that it is up to him how well he recovers and that when he gets his "cast" off in a month that he had better plan on spending a couple of months rebuilding his atrophied muscles and not run at all. But he and a buddy were already talking on his post about if he would be getting his cast off in time for another upcoming race. And it's obvious that he has no plans to postpone and/or cancel any upcoming race.

I added on to my comments, "but the important part is what lesson you have learned from this." Apparently, none.

My friend who is good friends with him told me that he definitely did not train at those paces he ran. He it a TOTAL dumb#%@ in this particular area. He went from running 18 miles ONCE to running a marathon last year, and hurt himself in that as well.

It is unfortunate that he will probably learn the hard way. It really aggravates me when people don't pay the respect to their bodies that they should.

Perhaps I will have to send him a personal email.

Reactions: Sid
Isn't that interesting though? There are people who don't take care of their bodies by being couch potatoes and eating a horrible diet. Then there are others like this who don't take care of their bodies by totally overdoing it and pushing themselves way beyond their limits physically. People need to find that medium of not too little, not too much.

Reactions: jldeleon
Hopefully he's a young guy so there's a chance he'll grow out of it. I'm so glad I didn't do too many dumbass things when I was younger. It's great growing old relatively intact.

I guess 34 is young these days. ;)

jen, leave the guy alone unless he asks for help. i know it's not good to see someone hurt themselves.

there are three ways people learn.

those who learn from others mistakes.
those who learn from their own mistakes.
those who never learn.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
...I decided not to mention that he was in VFFs because I figured people would use it as fodder against minimalist running.

When I transitioned to minimalist and then barefoot, I appreciated all of the different opinions. Some were clearly useless from those with an agenda. However, most were thoughtful and full of great tips to help me find my own way.

I don't think that there would be any problem posting all of the details of the story on your blog. Those who hate, will hate. Others might be able to learn from that guy's mistakes. I'm still relatively new, so bring on all the gory stories. If it saves me some pain, I'll be thankful!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Oh, and by the way, it ended up being broken, not just fractured.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7