*PUT* gravel in your shoes?

TheRealRandy

Barefooters
May 31, 2011
Ok i hope this thread brings a lot of suggestions.

So the road crew just recently paved our nasty roads out here in idaho (3 weeks ago), but they seemed to do it so bad they did them with loose gravel/ paved road.

So i was walking to the store and was getting gravel in my shoes (a week ago), i had an idea, barefoot running and gravel training.

At first it seemed just stupid, but you know what i gave it a shot anyway, i strapped on my vibrams, walked outside picked up some gravel rocks, and placed some in different areas of my vff's.

Went for a 4 mile run, not being able to kick the gravel around just having it stationary, not taking it out....Very irritating, i run barefoot in gravel every week (3xs), and thats not so bad.

2 weeks later i have still been doing the gravel in the shoe, i took off the VFF's, and ran on the road by itself for 3 miles. I have to say, IT MADE A DIFFERENCE, i not only improved with my time, the toughness of my feet, it just felt 100% better!

It was a little experiment based on some gravel workers working on a road, and it worked for me. Simple dumb and brilliant, i dont know what it will be like for the rest of the pack, but i want to see what you guys all think, try it, dont just post a response with some rude comments please, try it first for 2 weeks log your progress BF and with your Shoes or VFF's. tell me what you think.

Could it be just somthing so simple and inovating that it worked, or is it something that you just hated the most.

Either way, i will tell you this was a success story for me, and i will keep posting on the progress. well worth it.

Of course get ready for the pain the callises, and yes i had a couple bruises because of it, but now im running just fine, ease into it, just like any BFR and let me know what you think. :)

Kind of reminds me of Dustin

Kind of reminds me of Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy where he put pebbles in his shoe so Ratso would have a proper, realistic limp. Not sure I'll be joining the movement ;-) on this one other than to recreate the experiment unwillingly by picking up loose gravel in my shoes through running. This may well happen once or twice since I prefer open top classics to run in when barefoot becomes minimalist.

John T.

I have tried the massaging

I have tried the massaging insoles before but found them not rough enough. Good luck with the gravel filled shoes I am sure your feet will be able to handle the roughest surfaces at the end of summer.

I've told people to put

I've told people to put sandpaper on their treadmills during winter to keep their feet conditioned as a joke, but hey, maybe putting sandpaper in the shoes and running could work too! Good stuff, Randy. This wouldn't work for me, since I can't wear any shoes that have an enclosed toebox due to my having Morton's Neuroma, and I'm not sure it will work for everyone, but it might work for some. There's a story on our home page about Todd Ragsdale who set the Guinness record for the longest barefoot run at 102.65 miles. http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/102-mile-barefoot-ultra-no-simple-feat.5549/ Within just a few short months, he was able to condition his feet for the event with gravel bucket training. It worked for him! Good luck to you, and I can't wait to hear more.

I am so down with this!!!  I

I am so down with this!!! I may go get a big bucket and some different grades of gravel tonight! I may set up the treadmill with a bucket at the end and have my wife dump rocks on the front of it for winter runs! haha! JK...but I'm all over this bucket thing!

-Jonny

The bucket gravel seems like

The bucket gravel seems like a good idea... the sandpaper scares me a little but maybe i am crazy enough to try this as well.

Ha!  You could always start

Ha! You could always start with a low grit and work your way up. :)

i don't know guys.if you're

i don't know guys.if you're crazy enough to bf then that should be good enough. no need to be so extreme. no matter what you do you still need time to allow the skin to heal. sounds like more pain than is necessary. patience there young ones.

Mike

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7