Progressive Lenses?

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Anyone have the new progressive lenses? I just got mine a few hours ago, and I have a terrible headache. I can't deal with the blurry peripheral vision, and I don't like having to point my nose at everything I want to look at. If I don't have them on my nose just right, the close-up part makes my vision blurry, so I have to hold my head either just right or the book or computer screen on my laptop just right. Argh!

I understand it takes some getting used to, and I think I can be patient with most things, but this headache bites!

Anyone else have them and like them...or not?

I've been using progressives over my contacts for years. My wife hates hers.
Now that my neck is f$%#ed u% the limited range of proper vision is really noticable.
Having to hold your head just right for that 1/12 of the lense exactly correct sweet spot for the moment does pretty much $uck.

I have them and I will say this. They are not barefoot friendly if you have any correction at all. You have to cant your head to see in front of you (I'm into the distance vision part of the lens by the time I'm looking eight feet away). I leave them home when I run (which is in a pretty controlled place, usually) or wear my sunglasses.

You will probably become more used to them. I'd give it a couple of days.

Walking down stairs can be a problem since you are looking thru the reading part of the lens. I don't like mine for trail running and running in poor light. I have my older fixed focus glasses which are better for running as long as I don't have to read something. The optician can have the focal line moved up or down if they are not right. I used to have to keep my chin down to focus on the TV. I had the lenses re made so the reading area is lower, so now I can look straight ahead.

Getting old $ucks.
Why when I was a kid, we all used single vision lenses.....and we LIKED it!
Bi-focals were for old people...tri focals? Those users were WAY over the hill.
Now here we are with modern progressives, which seem to be infinitly variable but really are TWELVE focals.
TJ, you'll get used to them, just as my wife did eventually. The alternative after all is hardly ever having things in focus.

Thank you, all. I will give them a few more days' trial, although I am not liking having to get used to them. I have 60 days to make up my mind and return them for the plain ones.

Any more stories please, positive or negative.

I used to work in eyeglass labs and I would guess we exchanged about 5% of them back to regular bifocals. They don't like to do it unless you give it a week or two of actual use. Are these your first multi-focal lenses? Switching back and forth between prog. and regular bifocals can make the transistion take longer. If you only use them at the desk you can have the distance vision area (looking straight ahead) made to focus at an intermediate distance.
You could have the glasses checked, even by someone else, to see if the lenses are placed correctly.
I've never had to wear them except when I tried on a pair came through that was close to my (slightly nearsighted) perscription. Yuck! I'm now starting to approach that time when I won't be able to focus close up and I'm fighting it--doing (probably too few) exercises to keep from losing it. Focusing closeup, then far away, and repeating several times.

I have used bifocals before with the line. Don't they make bifocals without the line?

These are trifocals, I guess. They have far, middle distance, and near.

I never thought of eye exercises to keep my vision strong. It seems like I may be doing that without having to think about it. I type a ton on my laptop watch TV at the same time. I glance back and forth at the TV and the laptop screen. I've become quite the addict since the surgeries in January, because my feet hurt so much of the time when I am on them.

Thanks for the info about the progressives too. I am not liking having to hold my eyes and head a certain way (using my nose to point) in order to read a line of text, then if I look away and come back to it, I have to focus my nose again to the next line and so forth. It's hurting my neck, my shoulders, and most of all, my eyes.

Try taking them off when you start to get the the aches and putting them back on after they're gone. You're using muscles in different ways than you're used to. Make it a gradual transition, you don't want stress fractures in your eye-bones!

For me, close up is 6 inches, so I focus on my fingers for a few seconds then far off. You can get eyestrain from that too. They say it's inevitable, if you're going to need reading glasses, just give up and start using them. But it's muscles that focus your eye, maybe they just need exercise to stay in shape.

Hmm, do I sense a Natural Seeing movement in the future? That shuns the use of "eye coffins", promotes minimalist eyewear, glasses as tools. Will the bare-eyed have to fight to be allowed in stores? There's already contacts ("Invisible Glasses", better than bare-eyed).

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Were your arms not long enough for you to resort to progressive lenses? :confused:

Hmm, do I sense a Natural Seeing movement in the future? That shuns the use of "eye coffins", promotes minimalist eyewear, glasses as tools. Will the bare-eyed have to fight to be allowed in stores? There's already contacts ("Invisible Glasses", better than bare-eyed).

Hee.

Shorty, are you asking me or Randi? 'Cuz I would think with your short arms you would need them too! :D

Oh, I definitely need progressives! But, not because of my short arms TJ.

I shoulda' listened to my mother when she told me to stop doing "that" or I might go blind.

TMI. TMI.

Reactions: Rusinque

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon