Product Reviews coming: (suggestions/requests?)

Hey guys, Over the next couple of months I'll be doing a series of product reviews on my blog to celebrate this 2011 running 'season'. I'll also post each review here in the BRS forums as well. So far I have products lined up from:
  • CEP (compression gear)
  • Zensah (compression gear)
  • Polar Bottles (bottles
    tounge_smile.gif
    )
  • Opedix (New "Knee saving" compression tights)
  • Stem Footwear (Casual minimalist 'barefoot' shoes)
  • Recofit (compression gear)
  • VIVOBAREFOOT (Terra Plana) (Neo - their newest minimalist running shoe)
  • Altra (Adam - their newest ultra minimalist running 'shoe')
  • Asics (Piranha III racing flat)
  • Vibram (VFF) (KSO, KSO Trek, and Bikila)
  • Nike (Running shorts and dri-fit tops - NO shoes!)
  • Merrell (Trail Glove minimalist running shoe)
  • iMapMyRun (GPS run tracking app)

Each review will provide pictures, thoughts, pros and cons, how they stack up for barefoot/minimalist specific, etc. If anyone thinks of any more brands/products they would like to see reviewed, please let me know and I'll see what we can do!

I just ran in my new Merrell

I just ran in my new Merrell trail gloves courtesy of planetshoes.com. they were nice. had a lot of traction. wasn't used to that. i just have to give a review but i doubt it will be as well written as yours or any other bloggers. i'm such a laymen.

Mike

I have some requests for each

I have some requests for each shoe review:
1. While wearing both shoes, take a photo while standing, with the camera at head-height and the lens pointed straight down at your feet.
2. Roll the shoe under, starting with the toe. People often show a shoe rolled up to "prove how flexible it is". Well I want to see it rolled the other way so that the sole is on the inside of the roll.

when reviewing shoes, keep in

when reviewing shoes, keep in mind that not everyone is a barefoot purist. Those of us that prefer minimal shoes to BF tend to be a bit more forgiving when it comes to certain features. So don't condemn a shoe for not being as close to BF as BF is. Rather, compare its features, comfort, and durability to others like it.

LPJ, a true barefooter, does a great job of reviewing shoes for those of us who haven't made the commitment to go completely BF.

Cold weather gear: beanies,

Cold weather gear: beanies, softshells, vests, tights, pants, etc. It's really tought to find good reviews on lots of that stuff - especially comparison-based reviews (three or more at once with comparable features). Oh, add shorts to that list.

I love the Brooks and Mizuno stuff, but would love to see what else is out there.

All great suggestions

All great suggestions guys!

I'll start posting the initial reviews next week and appreciate the feedback.

@Chad: I'll do my best, and agree with you on the lack of reviews out there. Unfortunately we're already hitting 80+ (one day of 90 already) here in east TN so it might be a while on those ;)

@Dirtdemon: I will certainly keep that in mine - as I myself am with you. Though I do run barefoot, I am usually a VFF (Gasp!) guy myself. So I will certainly be reviewing the shoes from a minimalist perspective - running as well as casual wear.

@Nyah: good idea, I'll try to oblige when I do shoe reviews

@Migangelo: I'm sure everyone would love to hear your thoughts (quite the popular shoe right now isn't it? I haven't tried them yet myself, but they are on my radar for a review sometime during this process)

Thanks, Second Wind. Also,

Thanks, Second Wind. Also, VFF (especially the VFF Sprint) is a great baseline to measure other shoes with. That gives me more photo ideas: 1.With the VFF and the reviewed shoe placed sole-to-sole, take a photo which shows the top of the reviewed shoe, straight-on, from at least 4 feet away. 2.With the VFF and the reviewed shoe placed sole-to-sole, take a photo which shows the arch-side of the shoes, straight-on, from at least 4 feet away. Any other photo which acurately compares a shoe with the VFF would be helpful as well.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7