Problem with rubber soled huarches?

Abide

Barefooters
May 13, 2010
I have a pair of huaraches I made from 4mm Vibram cherry. I use them for my bike rides and occasionally walk from the bus to work etc... in them. Recently I have noticed that my soles are more sensitive and it feels like they get worn down faster than before the huaraches. I don't run in them.

Does anyone else notice this? Or is it just colder winter weather that is toying with me?

I have the same 4mm Vibram

I have the same 4mm Vibram Cherry rubber, and I can say that they indeed are a bit abrasive, and yes, the cold will make every little thing feel sharper than it would if it were warm.

You all talking about the

You all talking about the invisible shoe build your own kit material ?

I ordered this kit. I should be getting it soon. I want to trail run, but found my local area has lots of small crushed rock as top layer of trail. It sucks to be on these crushed rocks in bare feet. So I ordered kit to run trails minimal. I do BF on beach.

I wanted to do the alternative tying method in this video. To discuss the original topic here. I was going to do the same thing as in that video. Add ultra suede for the sole skin to rest on. This would eliminate your above problem. Has anyone experimented with actual running with the above alternative tying method ? Does foot stay in place OK ?

Could any ladies suggest what would be a proper glue product to adhere vibram cherry, and ultra suede together ?

Humboldt-explorer wrote:I

Humboldt-explorer said:
I wanted to do the alternative tying method in this video. To discuss the original topic here. I was going to do the same thing as in that video. Add ultra suede for the sole skin to rest on. This would eliminate your above problem. Has anyone experimented with actual running with the above alternative tying method ? Does foot stay in place OK ?
I used this method on my huaraches and never had a problem. But I run mostly on roads. I think on road, if the sandal doesn't stay in place it's due to poor technique. It may be different on trails.
Humboldt-explorer said:
Could any ladies suggest what would be a proper glue product to adhere vibram cherry, and ultra suede together ?

Fiebing glue

http://www.lunasandals.com/sandals/7-fiebing-s-glue

I didn't try it yet but that's what I would use.

The tying method is

The tying method is OUTSTANDING! Perfect way to have shoes attach to the feet. Very freeing. You even forget you are wearing them this way. They float around your feet. No rubbing, no friction, no problems.

Thanks for the two

Thanks for the two responses. I'm glad the alternative tying method works for running.

I'm not sure yet if I will do the ultra suede. I figure I'll probably get them wet at times. As I may use them sometimes for hiking as well. So I'll just see how the cherry feels first. I'm not in a super cold area so I won't have to concern myself with that element.

It seems I'm not smart enough

It seems I'm not smart enough to paste in the traditional method of tying huaraches, but this is what I use with no problems. Try the huaraches without the ultra suede first, you might find you don't need it. Part of what makes them great is my feet don't move around in them at all. The suede might change that. I run on some pretty rough surfaces - huaraches rock!

I think the slight

I think the slight abrasivness of the rubber is something you can get used to, just like getting used to running on concrete or asphalt. I don't run in the often enough to adapt to that though. It's just that there is some slight shearing that takes place when running in them, that makes them feel a little bit abrasive. I think they are well worth the $25 to find out how you will like them though.

Got my invisble shoes, and

Got my invisble shoes, and did the build your own. Using them for trail running cause trails are kind of gravel like on top. I was amazed with the invisble shoe ! I was surprised how much ground feel I still had, but happy to have some protection to go at whatever speed I want. These will also be my hiking shoe. Afterall skin is natiural gore tex. I'll be doing a review after I spend more time with the product, but they left a great first impression.

Hello guys!   I have

Hello guys!

I have been using flat bungee cords as my laces and they really do a great job for running. It is a cheap alternative for the Equus laces that Barefoot ted sells.

Another good alternative. 

Another good alternative. Thanks, Mr. Sandals. How many miles can you get out of a pair?

barefoot tj,  I'm actually

barefoot tj, I'm actually not sure yet because I put ample amount of adhesive glue on the flatten knot underneath. I came up with this idea when after a week of walking around town using my luna sandals with elasticized laces the knot underneath was already wearing out. I didn't want to wait until my knot is totally worn out so I bought an adhesive glue to protect and prevent more damage to the knot. Then I decided to make my own sandals, that is when I stumbled upon the bungee cord laces. ($4.50/pair). I recommend buying at least the 40 inch cord so you'll have enough laces if you make a mistake.

Good deal.  Did you get the

Good deal. Did you get the laces at a craft store?

Abide wrote:I have a pair of

Abide said:
I have a pair of huaraches I made from 4mm Vibram cherry. I use them for my bike rides and occasionally walk from the bus to work etc... in them. Recently I have noticed that my soles are more sensitive and it feels like they get worn down faster than before the huaraches. I don't run in them. Does anyone else notice this? Or is it just colder winter weather that is toying with me?

Glue a slab of leather on top

mr.sandals wrote: Then I

mr.sandals said:
Then I decided to make my own sandals, that is when I stumbled upon the bungee cord laces. ($4.50/pair). I recommend buying at least the 40 inch cord so you'll have enough laces if you make a mistake.

I just bought a pair of SofSole Performance Lace ($5 at Sport Authority). You can probably find a similar bungee cord cheaper, sold by the foot, but I didn't want to wait and search.

I use the alternative tying method and those laces feel more comfortable than my old polyethylene laces. I will report how long they last.
My huaraches are made from 2mm leather with 2 or 3 coats of Plastidip on the bottom. I've been using them on and off since the Fall and they are comfortable. But of course, since they offer no traction at all on snow or ice, I've been using my water shoes since early January.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7