Pregnant Runners

I have patients who have successfully run into the fourth or 5th month, but gave up when the load on their mid section became too great or their breasts had become larger causing discomfort. I am not aware of any barefoot specific issues.

Reactions: mandytheartist
I would just say that there should never be pressure to feel you are being lazy if not running while pregnant. I was never able to exercise during any of my 7 pregnancies and I am plenty fit now. I was too sick the first 3 months each time, then just too exhausted after that. Some people seem to do fine, but there is no sense in denying that there is an extra load on the body.

I just wanted to make sure she realized that if she felt good, than there is no reason to stop. I went 42 weeks with my second and was stuck working well the time and no time to run... I just did what I could.

Reactions: happysongbird
I just wanted to make sure she realized that if she felt good, than there is no reason to stop. I went 42 weeks with my second and was stuck working well the time and no time to run... I just did what I could.
I was pretty sure that is what you meant, but I always like to make sure moms know it is okay to rest when they feel like it. :)

Reactions: OdiarAmor
I was told by my OB/GYN that if you were a runner before you got pregnant, then you can continue to run while pregnant; if you were not a runner before getting pregnant, then don't pick it up during your pregnancy. So, if you are pregnant, and a barefoot runner, then it's okay to fit the stereotype "barefoot and pregnant." :barefoot:

When I was pregnant with my first child I ran up until I was about 8 months pregnant. I was a runner before that though. I also did a lot of hiking while pregnant - we did a National Park tour when I was 7 months along - but I had to stay at the top of Bryce Canyon (I think it was around 10,000ft) instead of hiking down into the hoodoos. I knew it would be taxing on my/the baby's oxygen levels so I chose stay at the top. I REALLY wanted to hike down into the canyon so that was a hard decision, but a primer for being a parent in general. :) I ended up miscarrying my second baby and was pretty anxious with my third so I chose not to run or exercise too much with my third child. It was a bit of a roller coaster ride for me.
The most important thing is to take it easy and not let your heart rate get above your max. Barefoot running is perfect for this since it's super important to listen to your body while you are running. If you experience any cramping or discomfort you should probably back off.

Basically, if you were in pretty decent shape before getting pregnant then you can keep doing whatever it is you love doing while you're pregnant, just remember there's a little one in there who needs mama to listen if things aren't right.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon