Poll: What do you do for cross-training?

5t3ph4n13

Barefooters
Jan 29, 2012
Just curious... sorry if this has been asked recently, I haven't been around for awhile!

I am currently practicing Bikram yoga as my cross-training. Actually, I was doing only Bikram and no running for a few months after I got burned out after my Half-Marathon last year. I am hoping it will complement my running as I begin to build miles again. It's kind of an odd turn for me as I used to be one of those "never-stretchers". I definitely think Bikram will help out with hip and foot strengthening.

So... what are you doing for cross-training?

Reactions: happysongbird
I've never done cross training in the past, I only ran. But this year I've been tryig to get into a routine of cross training. I currently just to some kettlebell workouts a few time a week.
I'm working on increasing milage by a lot this year, so I want to make sure I have the core to support the extra miles.
Plus, I turn thirty-ten this year, I wanna look good!

If we define cross-training as something we do to specifically support our running, then I don't do much of it. I alternate strength training with running, or anaerobic with aerobic, every other day, six times a week (ideally). Of the strength training I do, probably about 30-40 percent directly benefits my running, mostly the lower-body stuff--squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, etc. But some of the upper body and 'core' stuff undoubtedly benefits my running indirectly as well.

However, to support my running further, over the last six months or so, I have been doing a lot more stretching, both static and dynamic, some plyometrics, and self-massage with rollers, sticks, and a softball.

The static stretches I like to do are: hamstring and calf stretches with my leg up high on something, pulling my foot back; a quad stretch; an ITB stretch--touching the floor while standing with my legs crossed; sitting on the floor with legs spread wide and bending forward and sideways; and a piriformis stretch.

For the dynamic stretching I like to do the following with 10-lb ankle weights: Leg swings--side-to-side & front-to-back; Leg lifts; Reverse leg lifts; Lateral leg lifts; Climber plank; Spiderman plank; Dirty Dog; Donkey kick; Donkey whip; Iron cross; Knee tuck; Bridge; Crunches; Brazilian Crunches; and Bicycle sit-ups.

I used to row, but that was too boring.

I'd like to bike, but I don't like riding in the city.

I mostly do a lot of strength training, 6 days a week but only 2 of those days are specifically on the legs. I also ride the bike in the gym about 3 days a week which seems to really help my legs feel better on my 3 running days.

Bicycling, hiking and I added some upper body strength training since my legs really get the bulk of the exercise

I cross-train on the spin bike on non-running days. Weight training, plyometric core training, swimming. And yoga, but not Bikram (I get plenty warm w Ashtanga; Bikram would have me in a coma!). And I count my meditation practice as "cross-training" as well, because after a few miles, my runs are primarily mental exercises and I find that meditation helps with that.

I guess I think of cross-training as anything I do fitness-wise that's not running; is that how others see it? In other words, I do it to either fill in the gaps in what running can't do for me, or to get exercise on days when I'm not running or need a day off.
So I do abs, freeweights, balance and strength stuff on my balance balls, try to do at least some of that type of stuff on most days.
When I get frustrated with life or I have to wait for something to print I do a few pushups.
I ride my bike in the summer, 10-20 mile loops hither and yon in the countryside, whenever I can/feel like it.
I just started trying to learn to swim laps, but it is still at a stage where I flail more than workout. I also take my kids to free swim about once or twice a week and spend a good hour or more goofing off/treading water/swimming/moving as much as I can, so I think that ought to count as something.
On days when I don't have many other choices for aerobic workout, I'll force myself to get on an elliptical at the gym, but that happens more and more rarely, as indoor aerobic workouts on machines bore me to tears and I'm not in good "monotony tolerance" shape.
I fidget; does that count?
I do leg/calf raises whenever I have to wait for a long time in a line, or when I'm teaching.

Don't forget scratching your butt, Mike.

I do water exercises.

Reactions: Sid
Hi Stephanie

It's Bikram yoga twice a week for me too, plus two barefoot PT sessions (which include everything from boxing to skipping to plyometrics to running up and down fire escapes). I suppose I also cross-train within running too, ie whilst primary focus is long flat distance running I incorporate sprint training and/or racing twice a week. I also consider distance running in shoes on hilly trails to be a form of cross training too (once every other week). The cross training here for me meaning putting differing loads on my muscles and/or running with a different gait to my primary running form.

Bikram is certainly good for foot strength, (eg Awkward Pose and all the balancing poses) and a whole host of other things from improved breathing to training the mind to tolerate discomfort. Like you I was a "never stretcher", but yoga felt more like an activity than a boring old stretching session. That said I have started to stretch/roll/self massage now in addition to the yoga because I am upping both my barefoot speed and distance (Achilles, calves and hip flexors get the most attention) but yoga twice a week does a fair job of countering build up of tension and tightness from running.

I suppose I also cross-train within running too, ie whilst primary focus is long flat distance running I incorporate sprint training and/or racing twice a week. I also consider distance running in shoes on hilly trails to be a form of cross training too (once every other week). The cross training here for me meaning putting differing loads on my muscles and/or running with a different gait to my primary running form.
Interesting point about cross-training within running DR. Maybe it should be called criss-training? I started doing that last year, after reading up on pro-style training protocols. I now categorize runs as speed/power (intervals or fartleks, hills), stamina (tempo runs or cruise intervals), or endurance (long, steady runs). Ideally I would do one kind of run per week. I like the mix.

I've also started doing micro-runs (.3 mi /.5 km to 1 mi / 1.6 km) on my strength-training days to keep my legs loose. I guess that could be a form of criss-/cross-training too. Oh also, I forgot to mention that I was doing some skipping and backwards running down at the track before it got snowed over. That seems beneficial as well.

I guess I think of cross-training as anything I do fitness-wise that's not running; is that how others see it? In other words, I do it to either fill in the gaps in what running can't do for me, or to get exercise on days when I'm not running or need a day off.
Maybe we could make a distinction (not that it really matters) between cross-training for general fitness and cross-training for a specific activity. Almost any upper-body workout, for example, will fill in the gaps of what running can't do for us in fitness terms, but I doubt something like bench pressing has much benefit for running. Even something like cycling probably has less run-specific, cross-training benefit than we assume, because although it's aerobic, the leg muscles are used in very different ways, and aerobic fitness isn't just about heart and lungs, but about the ability of muscle to utilize oxygen for a specific activity (although the heart and lungs part is the most important for general fitness).

Anyway, I run for fitness, although running is my favorite fitness activity. So I fit Scedastic's definition of cross-training, doing weights because I think it's important to be anaerobically fit (strength, power) as well as aerobically fit (stamina, endurance).

Upper body weights 2x a week (on running days)
Leg strength (lunges, squats, etc.) and core/abs 2x a week (on non-running days)

Interesting point about cross-training within running DR. Maybe it should be called criss-training? I started doing that last year, after reading up on pro-style training protocols. I now categorize runs as speed (intervals or fartleks), stamina (tempo runs or cruise intervals), or endurance runs (long, steady runs). Ideally I would do one kind of run per week. I like the mix.

"Criss training", I like it! This year I've signed up with an online running coach to better help me do this. He coaches Australian Olympians and some National squads, in addition to amateurs like me, and for races from 400m through to 240k so was an ideal choice for the combined sprint, middle and ulltra goals I've got this year. He writes me a training schedule each month built around my target races (and incorporating the yoga and PT sessions) and he has me doing all those protocols you mention, ie Fartlek, Intervals, Tempo. Plus hill sprints, 30m sprint starts out of the blocks, sprint "surges", long hilly bush runs and long flat track runs. A complete contrast to what i was doing last year, which was all medium to long runs at much the same speed, and I have to say I not only enjoy the variety but I have noticed notable improvement after about 8 weeks on this programme, eg ive taken a minute off of my 5km PB time already.

The funny thing is he actually pulled me up for not doing enough of my runs barefoot (I had started out doing the Fartlek and interval runs in shoes, my feet weren't used to the prolonged running at pace). He is an advocate of barefoot training and all his PBs were done barefoot when younger, so it was interesting to see this extent of pro-barefootedness in someone who coaches at his level. Anyway now I do all my runs barefoot except for the bush trail ones, and my feet feel stronger/more resilient than ever.

"Criss training", I like it! This year I've signed up with an online running coach to better help me do this. He coaches Australian Olympians and some National squads, in addition to amateurs like me, and for races from 400m through to 240k so was an ideal choice for the combined sprint, middle and ulltra goals I've got this year. He writes me a training schedule each month built around my target races (and incorporating the yoga and PT sessions) and he has me doing all those protocols you mention, ie Fartlek, Intervals, Tempo. Plus hill sprints, 30m sprint starts out of the blocks, sprint "surges", long hilly bush runs and long flat track runs. A complete contrast to what i was doing last year, which was all medium to long runs at much the same speed, and I have to say I not only enjoy the variety but I have noticed notable improvement after about 8 weeks on this programme, eg ive taken a minute off of my 5km PB time already.

The funny thing is he actually pulled me up for not doing enough of my runs barefoot (I had started out doing the Fartlek and interval runs in shoes, my feet weren't used to the prolonged running at pace). He is an advocate of barefoot training and all his PBs were done barefoot when younger, so it was interesting to see this extent of pro-barefootedness in someone who coaches at his level. Anyway now I do all my runs barefoot except for the bush trail ones, and my feet feel stronger/more resilient than ever.
Totally cool!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7