Philosophical? Me?

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Yesterday I went to Ikea for the first time. My wife and I spent over an hour and a half walking around the store until it closed, both of us in blue jeans and bare feet

Exciting Saturday night for LB & Mrs.!

We spoke with several employees during the visit, and all pretended not to notice our feet.

As we were approaching the checkout a worker was trying to catch us from behind and finaly got my attention.

Turned out she only wanted to inform us that we would have to be careful, that there could be debris on the floor.

She said that she noticed we were both barefoot and was concerned that we might not realize that we would have to be careful.

I smiled and told her that we go everywhere barefoot and that it was'nt really all that much of a challenge on their clean smooth floors.

She smiled in an approving manner and said " Wow, is it a philosphical thing?"

I replied " No, just a health and fitness thing".

She reverted to puzzlement once again. I think she wanted more of a Gandhiesque answer , and could not equate shopping in a crowded store barefoot on a chilly windy night with health or fitness.

That's funny LB.  My wife now

That's funny LB. My wife now understands why I barefoot, but she still asks why my feet can't do what they need to do, but in shoes. She says in this day and age it seems weird that they can't design shoes to "help" facilitate this. She sounds much like the lady you encountered in IKEA. I think some just can't comprehend this simple concept, like it's much to simple an idea.

Many many people think going

Many many people think going barefoot is fun or enjoyable but have been brainwashed by their parents that it is unhealthy.

They really believe you will catch cold if it's cold or wet out and you are barefoot (they never heard of the germ theory of disease).

They also think shards of glass will kill you, and that dirt is germy rather than just plane dirty.

It will take some time before people can accept going barefoot as a healthier option than shoes.

The varying floor surfaces in Ikea were a real treat, and due to the heavy traffic and warehouse nature our soles became black as can be within minutes.

No big deal, but I did expect comments when Diane was trying out the different foam matresses!

Not a word was said even though we asked the clerk a ton of questions, but then again the other customers were lying on them in their shoes which just LOOKED cleaner.

I've learned over the years that for each person grossed out by her dirty soles there is another that thinks it looks great as kind of a throwback to hippie days, but of course us guys are subject to mostly negative takes if our dirty soles are visible to the public.

Just walk around with your

Just walk around with your hand held up, two-fingers into a peace sign, wherever you go.
shades_smile.gif

Sure those floors are germy

Sure those floors are germy and filthy. What most people don't realize is how coverd in germs everything is, actually, including our shoes, sox and feet.

You could wear a toga or a

You could wear a toga or a turban or a long robe or maybe a black cape. That should get them really wondering.

Cheers

Jamie