Persistent Achilles Pain

Andy Tomlin

Barefooters
Oct 15, 2011
Newmarket, UK
Hi All, Sorry if you read this anywhere else... Cross-posting because I need all the help I can get! I noticed that I'd injured my achilles about 3 weeks ago now, so I stopped running completely. I tried to keep my weight off it entirely for a couple of days, then slowly used it more and more, whilst keeping it strapped up. Over the last week, I've been stretching and doing calf raises on the stairs and it's felt like it's been getting better. So I went out for a test run today. I stretched and run up and down the stairs a bit to get my blood flowing then headed out with my HRM and stuck to my Maffetone HR to keep myself in check. I got less than 1km from my house before my left achilles became uncomfortable, then painful. I turned around and walked home, still in discomfort. Now I thought I had a handle on this. Simple case of achilles tendonitis = rest, then stretch and start again slowly. Is three weeks really not enough rest? How will I know when I'm ready if the pain had already subsided when walking before? Have I just set myself back by starting again too soon? Thanks for any help you might have. I'm feeling pretty bummed right now =(

THIS IS A POST FROM SMELPH

THIS IS A POST FROM SMELPH just prior to the move, copied here:

What exactly do you mean by stretching to get blood flowing? If you're doing static stretches, that may be part of the problem as the muscles aren't warmed up yet.

I suffered with achilles tendonitis for a good year and a half. Went to physical therapy, had ASTYM, and switched over to minimalist running. It still bothered me.

The answer for me was to quit stretching, and to use the foam roller on my calves both before and after running, and anytime my calves felt particularly tight. If you haven't seen it already, check out this Scott Hadley video:

I just tried this out!

I had my Mrs push down on the back of my thigh and she got it down to the floor pretty easily without leaving her seat. Then I rolled for about 60 seconds and lay down again and she could put her entire body weight on my leg without it hitting the ground! I'm absolutely convinced and will head off to buy myself a proper roller!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7