Pain while walking barefoot

Smelph

Barefooters
Nov 5, 2010
First, thanks to the Docs for what they're doing here! This is great!

on to the problem: lately I have been having pain/soreness at the base of the big toe on my right foot after walking barefoot. Running doesn't seem to cause any discomfort, but after walking around for a few minutes the base of my big toe gets really sore and then it spreads across my forefoot as the rest of my foot compensates (or at least this is my interpretation of what happens). the end result is most of my forefoot winds up sore, with a particuarly sore spot at the big toe.

some details:

- the pain feels like it is on the top of my foot

- taking advil seems to relieve the pain/soreness in the rest of the forefoot, but walking around still causes pain at the big toe and eventually makes the entire forefoot sore.

- I did stub my toe pretty bad July 31st on a tree root. I have lowered my running mileage but haven't gone to "complete" rest (I've still been running a couple times a week, usually around 3 miles per session). The forefoot has been slightly sore since a weekend I wore my VFFs around a lot (they don't fit properly and squeeze my toes/forefoot badly), but it seems to be worse since the stubbing.

- the area does not hurt to the touch and there is no apparent swelling.

- the pain at the big toe and across the forefoot is gone or reduced when walking in my trail gloves at work. I have gone an entire day with no pain, but once I take my shoes off when i get home the toe starts hurting again.

- if I squeeze my foot by putting pressure on the sides of the foot right behind the ball I get some pain all the way across the forefoot (this isn't the case with my left foot)

- there is no pain in the area while running.

- soreness at the base of toes 2-4 tends to flare up when lifting my toes (dorsiflexing I think its called?)

- the whole ball of my foot feels like it needs to be stretched and gets stiff when rested (sitting for morethan 5 minutes or while sleeping), which leads to a few minutes of soreness when i get up.

- I've been barefoot for almsot a year now and haven't worn anything more built up than my trail glvoes since february

It's frustrating because I can go out and run and have no discomfort whatsoever, but then after a half hour of walking around the house my foot gets super sore. My marathon training cycle starts up in December, so I am hoping to catch/fix this before the cycle starts. I hope that's enough info to get a picture of my next step. Thank you so much for your time!

EDIT: I tried to resize the photos to a more manageable size but no dice.

I considered myself a

I considered myself a barefoot rookie during my first two years of that daily lifestyle. During that time I held onto my simple sneakers just in case. If I ever got minor injuries that required my feet to rest.

Walking BF can take a much greater toll on your feet particularly if you are on your feet a lot.

Back in the day I had some minor TMTS issues. I would rest from running, and wear my simple sneakers as long as I felt needed when walking. Could be a few days, or weeks depending on the injury level. The more conventional sneakers take the stress off your feet. Kind of like your shoe is a cast.

I would imagine your forefoot/midfoot is getting zero rest since you wear min shoes. Then you run of course. Why don't you wear a much more padded shoe in a effort to aide in recovery ? Also change your walking gait slightly to get even pressure off the area in question. Move your weight to a diffrent part of foot, be more gentle, etc.

Whatever it is you realize it probably won't heal completely until you give it the rest it deserves, right ? If you have a Dec goal wouldn't allowing the foot rest be a good thing to do now ?

The simple shoes were always my solution during minor injuries. To still walk as usual, but allow the foot to rest at the same time with the extra padding. Assuming your feet are otherwise normal it won't kill your feet to wear some extra padding for a few weeks. Otherwise you could continue with your current pattern, and maybe not heal for a much longer time.

In a minor injury like this my paln would be rest it as I described for a few weeks. If it does not get better then consider other options. Sometimes we just have to listen to what our bodies tell us.

Or you could go to a doctor, and have them tell you virtually the same thing as I did. Time is your friend if you rest it properly. I think you have a minor injury that needs proper rest. Not a doctor visit type of injury. Though if you don't change your current attack plan it may not heal very timely.

you know, I have a pair of

you know, I have a pair of nikes in the closet that I've hung on to for just what you're describing, but for some reason it never occurred to me to wear them with the sore foot. (der!) Might haul them out of there tomorrow and wear those to work for a while instead of my trail gloves. I've been wearing some flip flops around the house the last couple days which has felt a bit better, so maybe a combination of those 2 things will give it the "rest" it needs.

I did reduce my mileage considerably when it started, taking about a week and a half off completely right away. Then I did one 3 mile run and took another week off. The last week or so though I have brought my mileage back up since running doesn't hurt at all. With a couple months before the training cycle kicks in now is the time to take more time off if I need to so that is a very good point. In fact, I have nothing planned for the entire month of October and late into November, and that may be what I need.

spent a few days in the old

spent a few days in the old nikes and man did those things hurt my feet! They were easier on the forefoot, so mission accomplished there, but my arches started hurting and my knees and ankles started giving me problems as I found myself putting all my weight on my heels. apparently after all the time I've spend BF or Min my body can tell when i'm standing on a foam wedge and I was compensating for the feeling of falling forward by leaning back on my heels a lot!

It was pretty unpleasant and I can't imagine doing that every day. Plus I can't imagine how that ever felt "normal" to me before!

No one ever said a cast is

No one ever said a cast is comfortable.

Back in the day I got lucky with the simple sneakers. They are not like nikes, and the like. It does have a lot of cushion, but the outsole is same thickness front to back. Certainly a bad toe box on those suckers. Mostly when I put a shoe like that on it feels like I'm a mile off the ground.

Having to put something like this on back in the day to rest a injury. Only reminded me to not injure myself, and it has been a very long time since I have.

Not surprised bt your nike results. At the time back in the day the simple shoes were a blessing to stay on my feet, but recover from minor injuries. Though getting beyond the rookie barefot stages I no longer have any conventional shoes. So the lesson should be be smart, and not injury yourself.

So your foot feels like it is healing with added rest ?

Smelph, I'm glad you are

Smelph, I'm glad you are resting. One thing I notice when walking around my house barefoot, is that I tend to really flex my toes up as I step, and I am usually landing on my heel. If I am having any problems, I just try and alter my step so I am landing mid-foot as it tends to not cause me to bring my toes up as high. It certainly sounds like you are dealing with some tendinosis of the extensor tendons of your toes (turf toe!) just in more than one area. If and when you are flexing them up a lot you will continue to irritate the area. On my running stride, my foot stays a lot more flat and I'm wondering if that is the case with you, allowing you to run pain free but have pain when walking. Just a thought.

Keep on the rest a little longer, and possibly find a barefoot-friendly Chiropractor or PT in your area who is a Kinesio Taping practitioner. The taping usually helps turf toe pretty quickly.

Thanks Doc!I've been trying

Thanks Doc!

I've been trying to pay attention to what my foot is doing when I walk and I think if I'm not doing exactly what you're describing it's pretty close. ;) I tend to lift my toes a lot when I walk and I actually seem to push off a bit with the right foot, so that sounds like half my problem right there. I think you're right on about the running stride vs. walking stride too. I consciously try to relax my feet when I run and these days I don't lift my toes as much as I used to, so that could be why it hurts less to run than it does to walk (never thought I would say that!).

Things do seem to be improving, as I've been icing and watching how I walk very closely in addition to using a little more cushion in my footwear. I'll continue with the RICE and see what happens, and look into a PT if it goes on for much longer.

Thanks again!

How many times a day are you

How many times a day are you icing? It has been over a week since your initial post so if you aren't having any sharp pain or don't see any swelling it is probably time to stop. Icing will start to slow healing if you are doing it too much. If you are just icing once at the end of the day to take the aching from the day away it is probably ok.

things have been going pretty

things have been going pretty well! been taking plenty of time off and have been paying attention to keeping my foot relaxed while walking (instead of a tense foot, lifting my toes). there isn't nearly as much pain when squeezing the foot as there used to be, and the flare ups are getting more and more rare! yay!

Yeah!  Glad to know you're

Yeah! Glad to know you're getting better, Smelph!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts