Pain on th outside bottom edge of Heel

pdxagogo

Barefooters
Nov 3, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I have been running BF for 3.5 years and started to reboot my running in September to build my aerobic base up to the max before Boston 2014. I've been running in zone2 for the last 5 weeks and slowly building mileage back up to where I was prior. Nothing new in footwear(barefeet) or terrain, (flat) just running along consistent and easy when my heel started to hurt. It's located along the bottom, outside edge of the heel and hurts when my heel touches down or if I'm sitting in the car on a long drive with my resting on the floor at a 90 degree angle. I didn't notice any trauma event but at this time I am having a hard time running and even walking. I've researched and fat pad syndrome sounds most like what I have unfortunately the treatments described are heel cups and orthodics after a long lay off and NSAID's. None of those sound appealing to me. Any insights here?

I doubt that that is a fat pad issue, however, do you have a callous formation built up where the achillies meets the heel? If so, you may have developed tightness in the calf which means tightness in the glut on that side which means a possible core issue. The worst possibility can be a stress fracture, although this is one of the less likely locations. I only mention this because you are ramping up the mileage in your training right now. Without personally evaluating you, I cannot be more specific. I would recommend finding a good sports chiropractor. Ted Forcum DC is one from Oregon that I know of who is known for his work with extremities and runners.

Reactions: Sid
Thanks for your assistance. I don't have a callous formation. I should also add that my mileage build up has been very gradual. Less than 10% increase per week and very low intensity. I appreciate the recommendation.

-Todd

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7