Orthotics Work! (as Placebos Anyways)

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Certainly orthotics worked for me to remove pain and prevent a slight bunion from getting worse. They just didn't make it get any better, and after six years or so I got fed up with that and decided to look for another way.

.... orthotics worked for me to ........ prevent a slight bunion from getting worse. .
But you can't know if it really did work to prevent it from getting worse. It may have been the switch to a different shoe type to accomodate the device that did the trick. Typically elevated heels and/or cramped toe boxes are what causes the genetically pre-disposed to develop hallux valgus. Is that the type you had? Did you switch to a more "sensible" shoe when using the orthotic?

No, I already wore what I considered 'sensible' comfortable shoes (mostly Hotter) quite a lot of the time although a size smaller than I should have been wearing. I could never understand how the advice to have a space between the front of your toes and the front of your shoes was supposed to work, as my shoe-shaped feet just slid forward into the gap. In fact the flat shoes that broke my feet, I realise now, did it by being slip-ons half a size bigger than I was used to with a slightly narrower toe - walking up and down hilly streets on holiday basically just kept ramming my toes forward into the narrow toe. My first instinct to fix it was actually good - I stuffed cotton wool between my toes to keep them spread out - but when I got back a chiropractor and everything I read on the Internet recommended Orthotics. I dont know if Correct Toes were around then, but i certainly didnt come across them, unfortunately. The scholl orthotics tilted my foot so that my big toe didn't really take any weight - I wore them in my normal shoes and they stopped the pain and the bend in my joint didn't get any worse. But I couldn't go without them for a couple of days without the pain started again.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts