Orthotics for healing? Long term?

Mamyohmamy

Barefooters
Aug 10, 2011
So I have been having problems with metatarsalgia etc. (outlined in this forum post: http://barefootrunners.org/forum-topic/self-diagnosed-metatarsalgia-pain-mortons-toe )

I went to a barefoot-friendly podiatrist and I have been prescribed some orthotics. I picked them up today and the assistant helped check the fit. I asked "any idea how long I'll have to wear these?" and she gave me a funny look and said "Long term- like for years maybe" and I thought I was going to cry.

The doctor did give me the impression that it will take a "few years" to be barefoot-running ready again, but I don't know if I can stand wearing these. Orthotics go against everything i believe in - from the complete lack of ground feel to the obnoxious effect on shoe fit- but I DO have bad posture, a bad gait and weak ankles, even after 8+ years of wearing minimalist shoes and 2 years of barefoot running. And now I have severe pain, so I agreed to trying these orthotics.

I'm thinking I will wear them until the metatarsalgia subsides (hopefully) then go back to my regular every day footwear, using the orthotics only to run... I also have a bfr friendly physical therapy appointment coming up and a follow up appointment with the bfr friendly podiatrist.

I guess my question here is: has ANYONE used orthotics to treat an issue and then gone back to regular minimal/bf walking and running? These things are a crutch and I don't want to be on crutches for the rest of my life.

Right about now I am wallowing in self-pity a bit. I hate my skeleton! lol.

Me too Just got back from

Me too :-(

Just got back from the podiatrist with inserts in my trail gloves. Currently hating them so much. They contradict everything I think I know about running.

What say you, BRS? Wear them to heal? Or try just ice and ibuprofin?

I'm wearing mine in my Stems.

I'm wearing mine in my Stems. Of course, after posting here, I went and re-read everything I have read about the problems with orthotics, and I am now pissed. I agreed to try them because frankly, I am desperate to run and walk pain free and I want to get better. Grr!

As you know, I'm in a similar

As you know, I'm in a similar boat. My podiatrist gave me the impression that orthotic inserts were going to be a part of my life from now on. Frankly, i can't see it happening. I began questioning orthotics when I broke my wrist a few years back (yeah, it's a weird connection). The cast made my arm so atrophied and weakened to the point i still have wrist issues. It got me thinking about my inserts and what it was doing to my feet. That's when I dropped them. I didn't go minimalist/barefoot until about 18 months later.

Can they help? sure. The Over the Counter ones I used right after my doc visit did take some pressure off my metatarsal area, but the only shoes they would fit in were high drop and pushed me back toward the balls of my feet, so they offset each other. That's when I went to the minimal shoes with the met pads and began really working on foot exercises.

I don't know anything; I'm just a dude with my own experiences. But, i am putting my trust in foot/ankle strengthening and flexibility exercises along with overall body conditioning for strength gain/fat loss. I think that if I focus diligently on reforming my structure the correct way I can begin to use that structure effectively. That and getting the best running form I can.

I don't know if it will work, or what my running future is right now. I'm still making peace with that, but for now I'm giving it my best effort to heal and get back into it. I know it's hard not to get discouraged and see things in a bleak light. Focus yourself on the possibilities and find what works for you to get you back on your feet as soon as possible

Thanks for the reply Lomad! I

Thanks for the reply Lomad! I am also trying those big toe activation exercises, in addition to the custom orthotics I now have. Maybe I have them becuase a barefoot friendly doc prescribed them to me.... idk. Like, because he was wearing Vivo Barefoot and his staff was wearing Stems, and he writes about barefoot running, then if he prescribes orthotics he must know what he's talking about more than the average podiatrist who prescribes orthotics.... stupid me. I don't mean that as a critique of the doc- I liked him and he seems to know what he's doing. Still, I am just mad at my biology and the thought that anyone would expect me to wear these full time, foregoing all sense of groundfeel or correct proprioception. Maybe at the follow up I will let him know that I don't like them and don't want to wear them long term, for the reasons already mentioned. Then see what he says. I just tried jogging around the hallways at work with them in my shoes and it felt SO wrong, lol.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts