operation on my neck

BFwillie_g

Barefooters
May 17, 2010
Kulmbach, Germany
ok, things were going well with my neck problems - until last Saturday (the 9th) afternoon. I don't know exactly what happned (but I have an idea, and don't want to cast blame) but I ended up in terrible pain. I somehow managed to sleep through the night but Sunday morning, "terrible" had gone to excruciating. My right arm, from neck to elbow was absolutely killing me. I couldn't find a position, standing, sitting, lying, anything, that would relieve even a smidgen of the horror.

I was crying like a little girl.

And humping ariound like Quasimodo.

And my wife took me to the emergency room.

I got an infusion with pain medication right away, x-rayed, checked-in (pay 40 Euro a day for a private room). The paind killer only took the edge off and I kept demanding more and stronger stuff... ended up with morphine injections in the stomach, and even that only dulled the pain. I basically suffered through Monday and Tuesday, and early Wednesday morning was wheeled into the operating room. The one thought that kept me from jumping out the window was dark bliss full-anesthetic that I knew was coming.

After the OP, all the pain in my arm was gone. A little residual ouchiness along the nerve and some numbness in my fingertips, but I was basically new-born. Yay :)

The OP is very straightforward, and has an excellent track record of success. They went into my neck from the front (moved the esophagus and other tube-y squishy things in the to the side), pried the vertebrae (C6/C7) apart, took out the ruptured disk, cleaned up the bone surfaces with dentistry utensils, and inserted a heavy-duty, toothed, U-shaped, spring-titanium implant between the vertebrae (I'd asked for adamantium but apparently that stuff isn't real, so I got the titanium model). It stays in place through the sheer force of the ligaments in the neck (plus the teeth), no screws, no adjustments, no movable parts to wear or break. After 4-6 weeks, bone should grow over it and it'll be a permanaent part of my body, forever. Better than new. That's the plan, anyway.

I'm about half an inch taller than I was before. Healing up great, feel really good, am being very active and only have a little residual neck/shoulder stiffness to remind me of what I went through.

I have to be careful to avoid extreme movements with my head, but only for a few weeks. Once the bone grows over the implant, I'll have 100% mobility again - better than I have for a few years, I think.

I'll post before/after pics here. The before pic is a C/T that was taken lying on my back. The after pic is an x-ray taking standing.

ok, well, there's a problem with the image upload, will have to get to it later... (ok, figured it out - got booted from the hospital wifi, maybe after 5 minutes of inactivity or something you have to re-login?)

edit: Just had a visit from a Doc - going home tomorrow! :D

Attachments

• my-neck-post-operation.jpg
    my-neck-post-operation.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 17
  • my-neck-pre-operation.jpg
    my-neck-pre-operation.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: Footsie
Sorry you had to go through that Willie - but glad it turned out well.
I know someone who had a similar procedure a few years ago - and she's now running a whole lot more than she ever used to.

Heal well!

Without asking you to divulge too much personal information, can you say what caused the neck injury? Is it something that can potentially happen to the rest of us? Or was there some sort of discreet incident (e.g. car wreck, motorcycle jump gone bad, tragic blimp accident, bar fight, tripped and fell while running from a spider, boot to the head delivered by a Girl Scout with a nasty disposition) that caused this?

Reactions: pitbullmamaliz
I had no idea you were going through all this, Willie. I am so sorry. You sound positive, your pain has lessened substantially, things are looking up. I will be hoping and praying for your complete healing.

And do tell us how this happen. You CAN say without laying blame.

Oh, and I have a scar in the front of my neck too from a parathyroidectomy, one of my four parathyroids had a tumor that was causing calcium problems and led to osteoporosis...long story, but I am so much better now after having it removed, and I have osteopenia instead of osteoporosis, which is a whole lot better.

Willie,
That implant functions as an "artificial disc" as opposed to fusion?
I had already been looking into going to Europe for a procedure that would possibly not necessarily
speed up the wreck going on at my levels other than C5-C6.
In the States it's rarely done, pretty much only at the experimental level due to the type of surgery that would be required if the implant failed and had to come out.
I'm definitly going to have to find out more about your particular device.
Feel better soon!
Yeah, I've got some of those tools, maybe I could save some $ and have one of my sons install it for me!

Dude, you sound quite up beat despite your "adventure," good for you! It must be at least somewhat relieving that they found the problem and fixed it quickly, I know some people go years trying to get a diagnosis.
Just be prepared for many full body cavity searches in airports now.

Here's to a speedy recovery, Cheers!

Ah, me loves Ram. He funny.

Board, maybe if this works out for Willie, you would consider going to his doctor and all that?

Hey guys - got let home this morning and already mowed the lawn and showered (and have to head out in a min to pick the kid up from school). Answers to some of the Q's:

The cause: someone fiddled with my neck, meaning to help me, but (I think) ended up pushing one of the vertebrae out of alignment. In hindight this was a blessing in disguise! The OP was great, I'm overwhelmed and actually hugged my doctor and had tears of joy in my eyes (absolutely spontaneous reactions, I'm really quite introverted).

Yes, this is my new disk. A replacement disk. My hospital has done this OP hundreds of times and they have a virtually 100% success record. My Doc told me of the one woman who had a problem at the 3-month check-up, the prosthetic had moved from its correct position. Re-doing is no problem at all.

Mobility - I can do everything, literally, except an extreme rear extension of the neck (Doc said "don't go paiting any cieliings for a while). So, I'll start running again soon, but my shoulder muscles/ligaments are still kind of sore from the procedure... shouldn't take long before I'm back in form, though.

Body cavity searches: lol. I got a document identifying me as a metal prosthetic wearer, and I'm going to get something stamped in my passport...

Quick anecdote before I go: During rounds, I asked a Doc if I'd be able to run marathons after this OP. He answered (you see it coming), "I don't know, did you run them before?"

" ... "

"Then you can run them again"

:D

Wow.....crazy story Willie.
Thats sweet that you were able to operate and heal so quickly (Im sure you are still healing, but mowing the lawn....Id say thats pretty good).
Ruptured disks used to be a HUGE problem and usually did not result in such quick recoveries. Good news and keep us posted!

WOW! what a great device.
Your going to totaly recover and are already cutting the lawn!
TJ:, I have too much bone growth posterior to each vertebral joint close to or already impinging on my spinal cord at every level to consider devices other than fusion, but I'm still going to pursue all options.
The only thing all of my docs do agree on is that IF surgery will be done it will definitly be fusion.
But I can fly standby for tax and pennies per mile (it still won't pay me back for all of my son's training $ though) so I'm not ruling out a Western European consult.

Reactions: BFwillie_g
side effects: only one: there's a slight clicking sound when I walk, lol. True. The implant slaps together just a tiny bit sometimes and I can hear it internally ... had me concerned at first but the Doc says it's normal and either goes away or not. It's really just the tiniest sound and I have to kind of concentrate to hear it, so no biggie. Actually, I found myself adjusting my (walking) stride in order to keep it silent, so maybe it'll be a good form training tool for me ;)

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Actually, I found myself adjusting my (walking) stride in order to keep it silent, so maybe it'll be a good form training tool for me ;)

An eternal optimist.....love it!!
Hey, maybe we can sell these on BFRS website?? TJ??
We could market them as form enhancers/indicators....lol
:D

I'm not ruling out a Western European consult.

Let me know when you're ready. The hospital in my town built up the orthopedic surgery department and is now one of the best in the country (and hence, Western Europe, lol). No, srsly, they're on the cutting edge of surgical procedures, using 3D modelling computer equipment for more complex procedures. Patients from all over are being sent to Kulmbach these days.

So, Board, you're saying you would have to have several of these vertebra replacement implants...and they would have to shave down all the extra bone growth...and do it in a way so you don't get paralyzed...in order to make this work for you? sigh.

I'm sure Willie will put you up in his home. He has a sweet doggie and kitty too.

I wonder what they cost, Zetti? Do you suppose we could get a break on the implants and the surgery? Of course, we would only recommend these for the very worst offenders to the barefoot-natural running form. ;)

And Willie, how is this whole experience a blessing in disguise?

My spinal canal is very narrow to begin with for the diameter of my cord. All cervical discs are fully degenerated, and bone has grown all around in compensation, just like how heel spurs develope. The osteophytes growing posterior towards the canal are close to or already compressing the cord.
Additionaly, all of the facet joints are shot, with bony growth encroaching on the nerve roots, most likely what is causing my right arm/shoulder weakness, numbness, and atrophy.
No room for devices that would maintain motion, and fusion makes the other levels deteriorate even more rapidly.
You can see why I'm taking the procrastination approach and pretending to myself that exercise will cure all!
Jim Fix couldn't have been ENTIRELY wrong......could he?

I want so bad for you to not have this happening to you. :(

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts