One month of barefoot running!

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
Tomorrow will mark a month since I started BFR. Here's the blog post I have set up to publish in the morning:

Today is the first "monthiversary" of the day I started barefoot running! That's right, I declared my independence from running shoes on the fourth of July. In the last month, I've logged 26 barefoot miles outside. That's a barefoot marathon...spread out over 31 days!

The bottoms of my feet are doing quite well. They are getting less sensitive, and I have yet to step on anything that has actually cut my foot. I keep my eyes open! I've got a couple little places with callouses that hurt if I run wrong, but overall, my soles are pretty happy.

I can feel that my feet, ankles, calves, and Achilles tendons are getting the strength and flexibility they need for barefoot running. I know they still need to develop further, but I can tell the difference between now and a month ago.

I'm enjoying running barefoot, but I'm going to be honest with you--it's also frustrating. I've cut my mileage back by a lot. To do otherwise would be to invite injury, and I sure don't want a stress fracture or tendonitis waylaying me! I have a detailed plan to help me hopefully run my first half marathon on December 5, four months from now. But the mileage increases are gradual. For now, my runs are shorter than two miles each, and I miss my long runs. It'll be several more weeks before my longest weekly run hits five miles. And I'll have to be flexible enough to reduce my training if my body tells me it's too much.

It's also hard, suddenly having lots of little aches and pains as my body adjusts to a new style of running. The good part is, they all go away quickly, so I think they're all just part of getting stronger and learning how to have a proper, relaxed running form. These aren't injuries; I'm just experiencing what athletes experience when they learn a new sport.

I guess that's the frustration of it. After eight months of running with shoes on, I felt like I was really getting the hang of it. Sure, I was having some issues with IT band tightness, and my knees sometimes bothered me...but I was doing long runs and loving it, overall handling it well. Suddenly I'm still running, but I'm a beginner again. I took my shoes off, and all the rules changed!

Are you asking by now, "Beth, [style="font-style: italic;"]why don't you just put your shoes back on?![/style]"

Well, the fact is, I really think barefoot running makes sense. Even as I have aches here and there, I can tell that my knees and upper legs--the parts that gave me the most trouble with shoes on--are so much happier with this lower-impact style of running. The "growing pains" I'm having now are things I'm pretty sure will subside before long, leaving me feeling better overall than I did when I wore running shoes.

To be honest, I also love the novelty of running barefoot. I don't want to do it just because it's different, but if something unique also makes sense to me, I want to embrace it! And the freedom of it is so appealing to me. Not having to put on shoes and socks is awesome. Depending on the feet God gave me to support me, instead of cushioned shoes--that's such an appealing concept to me!

It comes down to this--I think in the long run, this is going to be a good thing for me as a runner. It's worth the frustration of relearning my sport. But it [style="font-style: italic;"]is[/style] sometimes a difficult transition. I hope that, like so many things in life, the difficult climb up the mountain will be worth the view from the top!

I think this sums up how a

I think this sums up how a lot of us felt at first, and how I still feel sometimes. Running barefoot is a commitment. It's not always easy or enjoyable. But most of the time, it is easier. It is more fun. And it really does make sense. For me, that makes the fact that I can't necessarily go as far or as fast worth it.

Excellent post. I've always appreciated your enthusiasm C.Beth. Well, the whole month of it that I've experienced anyway.

C. Beth, I can definetly

C. Beth, I can definetly relate in so many ways, congrats on the 1st month. I been doing it for 8 months and I have a long way to go. My transition isn't easy, but I love it and yes it makes perfect sense. I will eventually get there like the little train that could lol!

Thank you all for your

Thank you all for your encouragement!

I did have a really cool (though scary) BF running experience tonight. For National Night Out we went to a picnic at the neighborhood park. I was trying to keep an eagle eye on my kids, especially my 2-year-old, who is in that "explorer" phase. Sure enough, I got distracted, and suddenly realized he wasn't on the playground. Hubby ran one direction, and I ran the other, to try to find him. I had worn flip flops, and clearly they aren't the best for fast, panicked running, so I kicked them off and ran across, grass, mulch, and sidewalks to find my boy. Thankfully I found him quickly...and I thought it was pretty cool that my barefoot running had prepared me to easily run after him even though I hadn't come to the park in running shoes!

Whew!  That last post made me

Whew! That last post made me nearly cry and ended with a ginormous smile. Whew again!

I respect that you plan to stay smart in your barefoot journey, Beth. And that view? As far as the eye can see.

I think about that sometimes,

I think about that sometimes, how if I ever needed to just run, I didn't need shoes to do it. It's a practical, maybe even lifesaving, skill for an emergency.

I love your post - it's really well-written and mirrors so much of how I feel. Barefoot running is alot like natural childbirth. If you allow yourself to fully experience it all, the pain on the other side is so much less.

jschwab--Oh wow, I don't know

jschwab--Oh wow, I don't know if I'd thought of the connection between natural childbirth and barefoot running. But yeah, so similar. With my first, I had an epidural. I was afraid of the pain. But I was shocked how incredibly meaningful the childbirth experience was. That took away so much of the fear, and for #2 I had a natural waterbirth at a birthing center. Being able to completely experience what was happening, being able to do what my body was meant to do...it was truly one of the most meaningful, beautiful experiences of my life.

I did love my first childbirth experience! But my out-of-hospital natural childbirth was even BETTER than the "mainstream" childbirth experience I had. And I did love running in shoes! But I do hope that BFR transcends that shod running experience, just as natural childbirth transcended my medicated childbirth experience.

Congrats on your great

Congrats on your great births! I wonder how many of us chose that route and if there is a correlation? I think Angie B. did homebirth. I had three home waterbirths. I feel like they are very similar trains of thought that led me to both. It was after my first birth that I researched running and landed on the barefoot running website. If I had not had that birth experience, I don't think I would have been nearly as open to it.

CBR-Congrats on your

CBR-

Congrats on your successful "monthiversery"!

I'm also taking it slow... trying to avoid injury and/or setback.

Sometimes I count myself lucky for having never really run before BFR. I don't have to fight the urge to compete against my past performances or standards.

For me trying not to go too hard and fast was my biggest obstacle, but since I switched over to using a HR monitor for "aerobic base training" on my runs I don't really care how slow I am anymore. If I push too much it puts me out of my training zone... my watch beeps at me... I cuss a bit and slow down. Boring sure...Slow absolutely... but it works for me and I have never felt this good during and after any sort of exercise in the past. So being slow on purpose is turning out to be Okay with me.

Good luck on reaching your goals. I can't even conceive of doing a 1/2 at this point.

S. Pimp.

Pimp, what you're doing is

Pimp, what you're doing is actually the best way to build endurance. Look into the teachings of Arthur Lydiard if you're curious. He used to say that if he could get someone to train for as long as he wanted them to without ever "peaking" for a race during that time he could make just about anyone a world champion. He kind of proved it too, the runners he trained were all regular guys and some of them went on to win numerous Olympic events.

Beth, congrats on your first

Beth, congrats on your first month of BFR! Nice write up.

jschwab said:
Congrats on your great births! I wonder how many of us chose that route and if there is a correlation? I think Angie B. did homebirth. I had three home waterbirths. I feel like they are very similar trains of thought that led me to both. It was after my first birth that I researched running and landed on the barefoot running website. If I had not had that birth experience, I don't think I would have been nearly as open to it.

Natural childbirth was the first thing I thought of the first time I ran without heavy running shoes. (Both of my children were born without meds. The first was born in a hospital attended by an OB. The second at a birth center attended by midwives.)

Peace,

Karen

I just wanted to thank you

I just wanted to thank you all for the encouragement. I'm so glad that WendyBird invited me to join this community and that it was so soon after I'd started BFR. It makes such a difference to have people to get advice and encouragement from since I'm the only local barefoot runner I know. (I need to change that; I did join a local BFR Meetup, so I should go to one of their runs soon!)

jschwab & peacekaren--Also awesome to connect with fellow natural childbirthers! I've felt like running been similar to natural childbirth; both give me a high/feeling of being Superwoman. I'm just lucky to be have been able to experience both...and glad that I can keep running for a lot longer even though I don't plan to give birth again!

Jimmy--I'll email you the

Jimmy--I'll email you the info!

Blind Boy- Not wanting to

Blind Boy- Not wanting to hyjack this thread, but I think you are right on the money.. Ever read anything on Maffetone/Hadd? Perhaps someonce could start a dedicated thread on the benefits of LHR training?

cbeth-Congrats on your accomplishment. I think those that get past the first month will stick with it...

Thanks, Blind Boy! This type

Thanks, Blind Boy! This type of training y'all are talking about is interesting to me. I LOVE long, slow runs (it's been so hard for me to cut down my mileage!) I don't think I'll be running any Olympic mid-distance races any time soon :) but it's good to hear that the long, slow runs are so good for me! I'll be able to run long distances again soon!

Beth in comment to your

Beth in comment to your original post. AWESOME!!!

t takes time and it sounds like you are doing everything right for you. It does get frustrating to cut back miles and that is why I have my KSOs. If my feet have had enough BF then I put on the five fingers for distance. However, that may not quite be the best for you unless your feet are really strong. 'd suggest a few more months doing what you are doing and gradually stepping it up.

Yesterday I realized that after a 6 mile std training run barefoot that I was not even sore. I would have and could have gone 10 easily but I had friends waiting for me at home. I have done 10 BF before and it was a bit painful. I am over that hump and I actually surpassed my shod speed pace yesterday. I averaged a 9 min pace BF and shod that never happened.

I tell you this because there is light at the end of the tunnel and you are getting there.

Also, you have very good looking feet ;) OK, Since running BF I have acquired a bit of a foot fetish, Something I am proud of since barefoot runners have health in mind at the highest level and healthy is the new sexy!

I am surprised you don't have a little more callousing on the mid outside edges of your feet. You look like you are strictly landing forefoot and no mid foot. Whatever works for you. I tend to have a outside mid to forefoot landing. Not right or wrong, just different.

Babysteps: I'll see if I can

Babysteps: I'll see if I can take care of that later on today. I've come across both Hadd and Maffetone, I've read some things by Hadd and had people explain Maffetone's ideas to me. In short, Hadd and Lydiard are very similar, Hadd being the more scientific since most of Lydiard's work is from the 50's and 60's so he didn't have access to the same amount of research. Most of what he said has been proven by science by now though. Maffetone on the other hand, the way I've understood it, is quite different. He says you should always keep your heart rate low in training. But, as you say, let's not derail this. I'll write something more thorough later.

Beth: I forgot to say this before but congrats on your first month! I agree with the others, if you can get through the first month without doing something stupid, you'll most likely keep on running.

Lava--Thank you for the

Lava--Thank you for the comments! I think I do have more of a forefoot landing. I'll have to think about that next time I run. Your experience is encouraging! I can't wait until 10 miles BF is doable (without much pain)!

For my run today (2.16 miles) I did about 3/4 mile in huaraches because there was no sidewalk on that part of my route; it wasn't practical to run in the street, and there were lots of rocks in the grass/dirt. I really enjoyed the freedom of the huaraches, not having to worry about those rocks (which slowed me to a walk when I was BF last week on the same route.) I can see how minimalist shoes will be a really nice addition to use as needed; I see myself being a part BF/part minimalist runner as I go on. I still want to be primarily BF at this point though, so I can keep making sure my form is good and can keep building up my plantar skin.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7