One inch fully healed scar on sole of foot

HealthisWealth

Barefooters
Mar 16, 2024
Hi Everyone
I have a fully healed 2 year old scar one inch scar on the sole of my foot that causes me zero problems currently. I plan on starting my barefoot journey and just want to know will this adapt over time the way the rest of the skin does to accommodate the demands its placed under? Provided i start slow and increase gradually?

Thanks

Where is the scar exactly? If it’s in the arch, I wouldn’t be too concerned. If it’s in the typical pressure points, especially those that you may use to push off, I would advise you to be extra careful to not push off, which is good advice for everyone scared or not, and to be gentle with your stride. Think lift. Lift the foot instead of pushing off. It may take you a little longer to get it right, but that may be what is required of you. Don’t rush the process. Let us know how you progress.

Thanks for replying.
Yes its in the area you’d push off. But it’s full healed just over 2 years now. Will it adapt over time to become stronger like the surrounding skin? Providing i ease into it ?
I have no experience with scars on the ball of the foot, although I have many other scars on my feet elsewhere.

I would advise you to take it slow, easy, gently, and evaluate after each run to tell if you are damaging your scar.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Reactions: HealthisWealth
Dr. Mark should be with you shortly. ;)

I wasn't paying attention to where you post this thread when I responded. I thought it was from one of the other forums. We try to let the doctors be the ones to answer questions in the Ask the Docs forum. Sorry about that.

Reactions: HealthisWealth
Scar tissue most often is tougher than your native skin :) so other than the usual adaptation and staying on smooth surface you should be good. smooth surfaces are like pumice and it might even smooth out the scar and create more beautiful feet :)

Mark

Thank you very much for the response. This has put my mind at ease.

I haven’t had any issues at all with my scar but I panicked when I read some online journals saying it’s has a much lower tensile strength (70-80%) than healthy skin and a lower resistance to failure rate.

But my logical Brain would tell me scar tissue in weight-bearing areas will exhibit greater tensile strength compared to scar tissue in non-weight-bearing areas, as a result of adaptive remodeling in response to mechanical stress. Almost a similar principle to wolfs law but applied to skin instead of bones and connective tissues.

I wasn't paying attention to where you post this thread when I responded. I thought it was from one of the other forums. We try to let the doctors be the ones to answer questions in the Ask the Docs forum. Sorry about that.

No problem thanks for your input 😊

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7