Ok, You're a runner, Get Over it

TJ - yeah I remember those now. Were they actually available? Were they going to be square or or put onto a similar oval shape? And just stickers or magnets? I suppose from your clear background description they are square as shown and only available as a sticker, which is fine, I think they look great. I was just thinking the other day when I finally got to put the 26.2 magnet on my truck how hardly any vehicles have bumpers anymore, or even metal. The idea I had floating around was also going to have 'barefoot' printed along it somehow, or maybe 'Barefoot Runners Society' though the text would be small but thats fine.

I wish we could have them cut to the image, instead of a simple square or rectangle, but I know that costs a lot more money to have a die created. I need to find the time...and desire...to add these to the store. I don't think we would do magnets, just stickers.

Reactions: dharmadan
As a casual newb, I like seeing all those 13.1 and 26.2 stickers all around town (and on some motorcycles, scooters and bicycles).

RE tribal markings, I lol'd at this:

tribe.jpg

Ha, ha, ha, ha! Hey wait, that's sad.

Reactions: dharmadan
My friend has a sticker on the back of his truck's window that says 135...for Badwater. Now, if you had completed Badwater, I'm sure you all would proudly display that sticker. Just sayin'.

Ha, ha, ha, ha! Hey wait, that's sad.

Sad might be just perspective. Embrace humanity. *** group hug ***

Each spirit brought here to earth, with free will, chooses to do what they feel is best (or not).

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

I have box jump bumper stickers with my heights written on them, in metric, so folks will think I'm a cosmopolitan plyo guy. Unfortunately, the squirrels and jack rabbits mock my accomplishments. But the neighbors are impressed--they're always asking me to come over and change their light bulbs.

Butt seriously, I like to run alone in relatively unpopulated areas, when no-one's looking. Unfortunately again, it's hard to do that in an urban setting.

In general I think bumper stickers are lame, but no one makes you look at them, right? I also have very little urge to enter a race, but to each their own. Live and let live. Of course, I might reconsider the whole racing thing if I actually had a chance of winning a pretty ribbon.

The thoughtful followup article doesn't have nearly as many comments.
online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303289904579199992837374388
Wow, scary. I've never felt that kind of hostility towards me as a runner, although a few times adolescents have laughed, and a few blue-collar road construction types have given me some cold stares, presumably more at the barefoot and middle-aged aspect than the running aspect. I guess I live in a good part of the country; most of the responses are either neutral or approving.

I think the author's point about fitness-envy concords with some of the comments here. Some people do resent those of us who trouble ourselves a mere 30-60 minutes a day to stay fit and healthy. I have never been really unfit, but I've lapsed enough to know it's not really even a choice. Life is better in every way when you're fit, and can really suck when you're unfit. I can't believe everyone doesn't know this simple fact. They must know it, and so any resentment is just a displacement/projection of their dissatisfaction with their own laziness. Sometimes when I see fatties obese people I just want to tell them to stick with it for six months, let 'em know it gets easier and fun, and they'll feel soooooo much better. Instead I just murmur to myself, "there but for the grace of running go I."

I don't put the 13.1 or 26.2 stickers I've earned on my car. I'm afraid I'll park next to the 135 sticker and look foolish.

Love the stick family sticker above. I saw one with the father grilling under it it read loves to grill and the mother with a drink under it it read loves to party. I laughed but almost hung out to see what she looked like.

My hubby said he saw a family sticker that had the usual characters on one side of the dad, then a pregnant girl friend on the other side.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts