I used to love running way back when, before I joined the military. At the time I was able to run 5 miles in 25 min flat. Then I joined the military and learned to hate running. Being forced to run, not in the footwear of your choice, is not my idea of fun, and often it's very painful. I finally got out about 6 years ago.

I got into cycling after that and did the Seattle to Portland ride in 2007. I finished with a ride time of 10 1/2 hours. I hit my goal for the 204 mile ride.

Shortly after that I started having major back problems and had to go in for back surgery due to damage done while in military. 3 months after that surgery I started trying to work out and run again and trying to lose the 20 pounds I had put on. I ended up barely able to walk. Was 32 and walking with the aide of a cane.

I ended up having to have another back surgery, this time to fuse some of the vertebrate together. 8 months after, I was still having pain that radiated down my legs, my doctors cut me off my meds for fear that I would get addicted to them. I was told I would probably never be able to run again, and would be lucky to be able to walk without pain.

I started trying to run, despite what I was told. I had put on 40 pounds by this time. Was up to a whopping 210 pounds on my 5'7" frame. I was never able to run very far and kept having to take weeks off due to the pain that I was having in my back.

A buddy of mine, whom I had made fun of for years because he runs in those funny looking toe shoes, KSO's I know now, told me to read this book called Born to Run. I'm sure you all know it. After reading this book, I figured what's it going to hurt if I try running barefoot? It can't really get much worse can it?

Within a couple weeks, I had very little back pain, and my supposed degeneritive arthritis in my foot had gone away. Knee pain, forget about it. Gone as well. 5 months later I have no back pain what so ever. This is my story for how I ended up here, and running barefoot. I have now lost 12 of the 40 pounds and hope to lose the rest by next summer. My story sounds a bit dramatic now that I've writen this all down.

I am glad to be a part of the BRS now and I hope to get to know some good people and maybe find some running partners in the Beaverton area. Don't feel comfortable in Downtown Portland as I am a small town boy from Montana origionally.

Happy running everyone!

Man, Nick, you've been

Man, Nick, you've been through a lot. Back surgery? Makes me cringe. I'm so glad you've found BFR. Welcome!

Welcome! That's wonderful to

Welcome! That's wonderful to hear you can run again with no back pain!

I'm finding barefoot running to be full of suprises. I'm only in my 3rd month but am really enjoying it.

Happy running!

Nick, welcome and congrats.

Nick,

welcome and congrats. i live in beaverton next to Nike. i don't tend to run around here too often but like to drive to forest park instead. it depends on where you want to run around beaverton. if you're willing to go with me i can drive. we do a lot of group runs here also quite a few informal runs as well as meeting at races.

just pm me.

Mike

Sat, 09/10/2011 - 3:20 PM

Sat, 09/10/2011 - 3:20 PM GMT
JosephTree

Hey, Nick! Welcome!

Very few of us are as fast as we used to be, but nearly all of us appreciate simply being able to get out and RUN a whole lot more.

Keep it up!

That would be great Mike!

That would be great Mike! Right now I am recovering from a calf injury so hopefully we be able to start running again this week with some real short runs and building back up from there. Look forward to being able to get some runs in with other barefooters.

wow!  that's a hell of a

wow! that's a hell of a story! Glad to have you on board! :)

That's a great success story

That's a great success story of your perseverance and commitment to health, Nick. Welcome to the family from another old soldier. Take the process slowly and steadily, and run barefoot as much of the time as you can. Enjoy, and keep on succeeding like you've already started. Hooah!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7