Newbie in sweltering NC

Hi. I'm Michele & I am totally new to barefoot running. I ran track and cross-country in high school waaaaay back in the 80's. I loved running but sadly I had persistent shin splints & even a stress fracture. Every practice & competition meant extensive taping of my feet and legs. Ever since then, each time I've tried to resume running, the ol' shin pain would just come back again in less than a week. Now that I am in my 40's I find I get some knee pain too when I try to run. (((sigh))) I walk a good deal and I do workouts that involve jumping rope.

I am really hoping that barefoot running might be the answer for me. Currently I soaking up information and I am spending as much time as possible barefoot. I am also doing any exercises I can find that encourage flexibility and strength in my feet. I have not even tried to run yet. I am being as patient as I can possibly be.

It seems that most information I find is geared towards runners who are making the switch. However, I consider myself a non-runner since I've not been able to run consistently for years. I wonder if this changes anything? I know my stride is ALL wrong for barefoot running. I was definitely brought up in the era of wearing heavily cushioned shoes that compensated and taught to run with the heel-toe rolling motion. I am trying to wipe all that old info from my mind and muscle memory and go at it with a fresh and clean perspective. I really want to make this work!

Any advice or recommending reading is greatly appreciated!

You are approaching it correctly, and could probably start running 30 seconds on paved roads per day to help your adaptation process along.
Oh, and WELCOME!

Reactions: happysongbird
Welcome!

I am not sure what everyone else's opinions here are, but you should look into the "Couch to 5k" programs. My only recommendation when doing those is to of course listen to your body and only advance to the next "level" when you.feel you are ready.

Another thing to remember is that EVERYONE has a different experience. We all work at a different pace and have different priorities. That being said I don't think you will find a more supportive community than the one here.

As long as you don't have any current injuries, you don't have to do anything to prepare before you start running barefoot (although spending as much time barefoot as possible will speed the process). Find a hard surface and get out there and run (but very short distances at first!). If your stride or form is wrong now, by far the best way to fix it is to run barefoot. Just please, please, do only a little bit at a time starting out. As long as you do that, you'll be fine.

my advice: barefoot on 145° blacktop is probably not a good idea, yet ;)

And Hi There, NC :)

(I've got family in Pinehurst)

Reactions: NickW
I was more successful in learning to run barefoot by resisting the urge to use minimilist shoes or running on grass. Instead of transitioning from padded to minimalist to barefoot...it was easier for me to go directly to a hard surface without any footwear. As I have very poor form in shoes, running barefoot forced me into better form and accelerated my goal of running without injury.

My wife tried the cushioned to minimalist approach and was quickly injured and unfortunately returned to traditional trainers.

I would start by running about a minute barefoot on a smooth road and stop immediately if you feel discomfort. Double your time if you make the minute and feel good the next day and your feet look good. You will most likely feel some transition pain as your feet strengthen and simply back off when you hurt and keep plowing forward when you feel good.

Everyone is different but I was able to run a half marathon in October after starting Barefoot in June.

Best of Luck!

my advice: barefoot on 145° blacktop is probably not a good idea, yet ;)
)

Oh yeah. I made the mistake of forgetting to slip on some flip flops the other day when I crossed the street to my neighbor's house...midday. OUCH! The road in front of my house is blacktop with the rocks/gravel embedded in it. I've been walking on that some to help toughen up my soles. Doing it midday when the heat index is 112 degrees was a very BAD idea! :eek:

As long as you don't have any current injuries, you don't have to do anything to prepare before you start running barefoot (although spending as much time barefoot as possible will speed the process). Find a hard surface and get out there and run (but very short distances at first!). If your stride or form is wrong now, by far the best way to fix it is to run barefoot. Just please, please, do only a little bit at a time starting out. As long as you do that, you'll be fine.

Thanks. I am trying very, VERY hard to not jump in too fast. It is my pattern in life. Anything I tackle, I tend to dive in head first and with gusto. This time I keep reminding myself of the old tortoise and the hare fable: slow and steady wins the race.

I was more successful in learning to run barefoot by resisting the urge to use minimilist shoes or running on grass. Instead of transitioning from padded to minimalist to barefoot...it was easier for me to go directly to a hard surface without any footwear. As I have very poor form in shoes, running barefoot forced me into better form and accelerated my goal of running without injury.

My wife tried the cushioned to minimalist approach and was quickly injured and unfortunately returned to traditional trainers.

I would start by running about a minute barefoot on a smooth road and stop immediately if you feel discomfort. Double your time if you make the minute and feel good the next day and your feet look good. You will most likely feel some transition pain as your feet strengthen and simply back off when you hurt and keep plowing forward when you hurt.

Everyone is different but I was able to run a half marathon in October after starting Barefoot in June.

Best of Luck!

There is a smooth, paved greenway just a block or two from my house. Hubby and I walk it daily. I think it will prove a great spot for me to start trying some of those short runs you suggest.

As for running a marathon...in my dreams! :D Maybe some day, but definitely not in a few months. I probably can't even run a mile in shoes at this point.

Welcome!

I am not sure what everyone else's opinions here are, but you should look into the "Couch to 5k" programs. My only recommendation when doing those is to of course listen to your body and only advance to the next "level" when you.feel you are ready.

Another thing to remember is that EVERYONE has a different experience. We all work at a different pace and have different priorities. That being said I don't think you will find a more supportive community than the one here.

I am very familiar with Couch to 5k. I've tried a few times, but injury reared it's ugly head. Here's hoping barefoot & better form will be the charm for me.

There is a smooth, paved greenway just a block or two from my house. Hubby and I walk it daily. I think it will prove a great spot for me to start trying some of those short runs you suggest.

As for running a marathon...in my dreams! :D Maybe some day, but definitely not in a few months. I probably can't even run a mile in shoes at this point.
I bet you will find running barefoot you can do a lot more than you think you can... That said, make sure to take it easy because it is way to easy to get excited that you're running again and push yourself too hard and right into an injury. Like you said up above, remember the tortoise and the hare. If you are the tortoise you should be just fine.

Thanks for the welcome. I just got back from my first barefoot run! I'm feeling pretty ecstatic at the moment. I did a 2-mile walk with some barefoot intervals mixed in. I was able to do almost the whole distance barefoot which really amazed me. I've been going barefoot around the house and yard most of the time for the last few weeks, but never on my walks.

I bet you will find running barefoot you can do a lot more than you think you can...

You are absolutely right! I was so pumped up I decided to go ahead and give it a try. It had cooled down to a nice, chilly 92 degrees outside, so I ventured out. I just did a short (2-mile) walk with running intervals mixed in and it felt GREAT! It truly felt so much better than when I try to run with shoes. I had to make myself stop. Near the end, the feeling that I might be working on a blister on one of my toes encouraged me to remember to stick to my "slow and steady" promise & just walk the rest of the way.

I'm pretty pumped! :D And my dear feet are getting rewarded with a nice cold, ice water soak. ;)

You are absolutely right! I was so pumped up I decided to go ahead and give it a try. It had cooled down to a nice, chilly 92 degrees outside, so I ventured out. I just did a short (2-mile) walk with running intervals mixed in and it felt GREAT! It truly felt so much better than when I try to run with shoes. I had to make myself stop. Near the end, the feeling that I might be working on a blister on one of my toes encouraged me to remember to stick to my "slow and steady" promise & just walk the rest of the way.

I'm pretty pumped! :D And my dear feet are getting rewarded with a nice cold, ice water soak. ;)
It's hard to remember to take it easy in the beginning. I had a really hard time with that. Congrats on your first barefoot run!

Reactions: rik
Michelle,
Congratulations on your new found freedom. Almost any road condition your feet will adapt over time and almost any condition chip-seal, dirt, glass, snow it can all be overcome with slow persistent training. I cant say that I followed most of my own advice. I like most read born to run and when I finished I did 2 miles of sprinting long strides and headphones cranked up. I had images of my self as a Raumari runner light fast and free. As it turned out I was 25 lbs overweight and two weeks of persistent pain. Invest in a good foam roller and spend as much time working on your calf muscles, strenthing your feet, balance and core work as you do running. I chose to take a class on Michael Sandler he is a great person and a professional coach that will tell to you listen to your feet and body. You can look him and Jessica up at Runbare.com GO Light and FREE enjoy your freedom and remember dont impose others limits on your own feet.
GO LIGHT N FREE.. winter is coming get your feet tough and try to keep them tough in the winter. I have found running in place in the garage with sand, kittie litter (not used ) gravel can help you to get thur winter months. And an occasional run in the snow for short periods of time can be refreshing.
Cheers, Rik Utah chapter

Michelle,
Congratulations on your new found freedom. Almost any road condition your feet will adapt over time and almost any condition chip-seal, dirt, glass, snow it can all be overcome with slow persistent training. I cant say that I followed most of my own advice. I like most read born to run and when I finished I did 2 miles of sprinting long strides and headphones cranked up. I had images of my self as a Raumari runner light fast and free. As it turned out I was 25 lbs overweight and two weeks of persistent pain. Invest in a good foam roller and spend as much time working on your calf muscles, strenthing your feet, balance and core work as you do running. I chose to take a class on Michael Sandler he is a great person and a professional coach that will tell to you listen to your feet and body. You can look him and Jessica up at Runbare.com GO Light and FREE enjoy your freedom and remember dont impose others limits on your own feet.
GO LIGHT N FREE.. winter is coming get your feet tough and try to keep them tough in the winter. I have found running in place in the garage with sand, kittie litter (not used ) gravel can help you to get thur winter months. And an occasional run in the snow for short periods of time can be refreshing.
Cheers, Rik Utah chapter

Thanks for the advice. Here in eastern NC snow is quite a rare thing...maybe once or twice a year and quickly melted away, so assuming that I can continue this journey into the winter, I'm hoping to be able to run barefoot almost year round.

Reactions: rik and NickW
Welcome, Michele!

Welcome to another fellow North Carolinian, Michelle. I work at Ft. Bragg and live in Fuquay-Varina. Sounds like you're getting great advice all through this thread and wisely taking it slowly. Yeah, hot asphalt is fairly self-policing. I like the mornings better as its still cool and I can see better. But evenings can certainly work, too. Don't get impatient, and you should be just fine through this transition. Glad to have you with us.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7