New southern bare footer

Grizzly16

Barefooters
Aug 21, 2012
Hey all I wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for the inspiration of the BRS.

I'm pretty new to running in general (been at it since June) but I'm making good progress. Mainly I'd say that is do to the minimal/barefoot running. Previous to this year running had always been punishment in football practice or track since I was a fat shot/discus guy in High School. And since then every time I'd run anything over a mile I'd spend the next day wanting to bathe in icy-hot.

A friend loaned me a copy of Born To Run and after reading it everything kind of clicked. I adjusted my running from "heel striking pound the pavement into submission at a sprinting pace" to "run natural and let your body work" style. I'd since lost the weight in college and been playing basketball etc so my cardio was decent already. That combined with running the way my feet and body were designed to run was a miracle. I quickly got to being able to log 10+ miles a run. Currently the longest is 16 miles in a day and 12 miles at once. I'm running in a kind of minimal shoe for most runs over 5 miles (brooks pure flow) and vibram/fila toe shoes for shorter runs.

I started walking with my wife and son barefoot to build up some foot toughness and today was my first barefoot "run". I ran 3.5 mi in my bikilas then yanked them off for the last .75 miles. I LOVED it. I can definitely tell I'll enjoy the barefoot runs more and more. Right now Arkansas heat made the roads unpleasantly hot to pad around on. Thankfully there were white stripes and light colored concrete to enjoy occasionally. Then when I hit grass it was like heaven to finish the run!

So there you go.. that is grizzly in a nutshell :)

Reactions: Sid
Grizzly in a nutshell? That's a big nutshell, Griz.

Always good to see new blood. Running barefoot is an excellent way to escape things that attack you in the middle of the night (there's never enough time to put on shoes). Good for you for being able to hit the long distances; some of us (like me) take a lot longer to get up to the double-digit miles...

Welcome to BRS. We're weird here. Well...at least I am :D

Welcome, Griz!

Sometimes you feel like a nut... Welcome, Griz. You've been officially monikered by TJ, so my alternative "Grizznut" will have to fade away. Glad to have you with us. It's still mighty hot most days here in NC too. The good thing is that in the southern winters, that asphalt can get decently warm in the afternoons even on cold days so long as the sun peeks through. Enjoy!

Welcome to the crew.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7