New runner seeking some advice :)

Barefootlife

Barefooters
Jun 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

Just a quick background; I'm new here and also a new BF/minimalist runner. I'm currently alternating between bare feet and also my minimalist running shoes. To expand a little; I'm following a c25k program to allow myself to adapt over time.

My long term goal is to eventually work up to running in a marathon or ultra as running has been something I have become passionate about and find to be enjoyable for a number of reasons. I'm just afraid of being plagued by injury to the point I am unable to enjoy injury free running. I usually get niggles like shin splints etc quite easily when I wore my Brooks Glycerin shoes. I found these shoes to be quite unnatural compared to how my body wanted to run naturally.

I have heard from some friends that low arches or flat feet will find it hard to successfully run long distances (Marathon +). I have included some reference photos of my arches if anyone might be able to share some wisdom and insight to this matter as I'm still learning about these things. :)
foot arch1.jpg foot arch2.jpg

Welcome, BL! Hopefully, some of our flatfooted ultra runners will respond. :barefoot:

Thanks! Hopefully have some replies. I'm thinking my arches may be somewhere between low to medium maybe? Always after a second opinion though haha. Not sure if it really matters all that much if I work on foot strength?

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I personally think that there is no perfect or imperfect foot type for running barefoot or running barefoot long distances as long as your feet are strong and healthy.

I've got my first ultra coming up July 7th (50K). Prior to that I've DNFed a trail marathon at mile 18 in the ND badlands (I'm now realizing I was suffering hyponatremia BAD at that one. Keep up the salt intake!) and finished a full city marathon in Minnesota unshod.

If you're worried about injury prevention I'd say trust in unshod! Back in March I got a slight pulled calf muscle from doing too much too soon early in the year and I couldn't have done that without my shoes. I was running almost full-time in my Xero DIYs or Merrell Vapor Gloves because it was still cold and snowy here in MN.

I took a week off to let the calf heal and when I started up running again I stuck to unshod running as much as I could. There are a couple of things working in favor of injury prevention when unshod:

* The skin on the bottoms of your feet are an early warning system. If the skin hurts or is getting blisters or bruises that's evidence of you moving in a way that will cause injury over time. Figure out how to run unshod without damage or discomfort to the skin.

* The direct, tactile feedback immediately encourages safer form. I have an ankle tendon that acts up slightly every once in a while and mostly if I'm running in sandals. When that happens if I take off the sandals and run unshod the pain starts to go away. I don't know at all consciously what's going on but it's clear that putting something on my feet can occasionally aggrivate that ankle.

* Running barefoot frequently prevents bad habits for when you do run in shoes. This reduces overall chance of injury no matter what you are or aren't wearing on your feet.

* Figure out how to run long distances unshod without hurting your feet and you'll have mastered efficient running. That simple. I struggled to go more than 5 miles unshod because I was just "toughing it out" through the pain in my feet. Once I committed to just being gentle with the ground and running with finesse not force the long miles absolutely unlocked. 6 miles is now my easy distance. 10 miles is my minimum for getting in a decent workout. 15 miles is my weekend fun run because I've got more spare time. 20+ miles is certainly a challenge, it takes hours but very achievable and you meet some great people out there at events.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7