New runner in Chicago

How do you run in the snow and ice?

• with regular shoes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • in socks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If you've already built solid soles and foot musculature, then I'd go with something like VFFs. They are my shoe of choice when I have to wear one. I'm a southern boy, so I can't speak to heavy snow, ice and salt, but I can't imagine that any of those three things are good for bare feet. That said, I know some of our crazy - I mean, dedicated - yankees and midwesterners run BF in the snow. Sounds to me more like a good story to make up to tell your kids about how tough life was when we were younger ("this new fangled internet thing wasn't around when we were kids - we only had 3 channels on TV!"), but they do it. I'll let some more qualified and experienced northerners chime in here with their advice. But welcome to the crew - glad to have you with us. You will get some good ideas from the others here who are more experienced. You'll have to learn to weed out who's fully crazy, and who's only partly crazy but still gives workable advice. It won't take you long on your own, but I'm not naming any names here.

Reactions: NickW
Welcome, Dean! Try to find paths or a trail where there is no salt. Run barefoot, but carry your shoes, just in case. Don't go more than a couple of miles in below freezing temps. Then put the shoes back on. Build up your distance a little at a time. Also, you can warm your feet by the fire or heater if you are at home before you go out, or your car's heater. I found it was easier to acclimate to the drop in temps as the temps dropped. You might have to miss some runs, but whatever you do, run smart.

Reactions: happysongbird
If you've already built solid soles and foot musculature, then I'd go with something like VFFs. They are my shoe of choice when I have to wear one. I'm a southern boy, so I can't speak to heavy snow, ice and salt, but I can't imagine that any of those three things are good for bare feet. That said, I know some of our crazy - I mean, dedicated - yankees and midwesterners run BF in the snow. Sounds to me more like a good story to make up to tell your kids about how tough life was when we were younger ("this new fangled internet thing wasn't around when we were kids - we only had 3 channels on TV!"), but they do it. I'll let some more qualified and experienced northerners chime in here with their advice. But welcome to the crew - glad to have you with us. You will get some good ideas from the others here who are more experienced. You'll have to learn to weed out who's fully crazy, and who's only partly crazy but still gives workable advice. It won't take you long on your own, but I'm not naming any names here.

Thank you for the advice, Phil! I envy your North Carolina winters....

Welcome, Dean! Try to find paths or a trail where there is no salt. Run barefoot, but carry your shoes, just in case. Don't go more than a couple of miles in below freezing temps. Then put the shoes back on. Build up your distance a little at a time. Also, you can warm your feet by the fire or heater if you are at home before you go out, or your car's heater. I found it was easier to acclimate to the drop in temps as the temps dropped. You might have to miss some runs, but whatever you do, run smart.

Thank you, Barefoot TJ, I will look for a clear path. I usually use the sidewalks here in Chicago, but I know they will be thoroughly salted. Maybe one of the parks will allow nature to take its course....

Where I live, I can run on the earth, or I can run on paved trails. Look for those. Maybe you can google some.

From what I've heard, your area is about to get a cold spell. I was looking at the weather south of Chicago (Hinsdale specifically) last week and the weather looked so nice. Now that I'm going to be going up that way to visit family, it looks like weather is going to be much colder!

From what I've heard, your area is about to get a cold spell. I was looking at the weather south of Chicago (Hinsdale specifically) last week and the weather looked so nice. Now that I'm going to be going up that way to visit family, it looks like weather is going to be much colder!

You are right -- we had temps near sixty last week, but since then they have dropped to the thirties. We're supposed to get our first big snow within the next couple of days. Good luck in Hindsdale, especially if you decide to go running!

Wowzers! I'm a southern girl and certainly NOT used to that cold weather. The high here tomorrow is 71. But it looks like while I'm up there, the weather is going to get cold here with highs in the 40's.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7