New Member Question

cbradt

Barefooters
Nov 23, 2011
Hi everybody. I have a question regarding my new adventures in barefoot/minimalist shoe running. If there is a better forum for me to put this question, just let me know.

I have been running for about ten years, but in the last few years, whenever I have tried to extend my mileage beyond 3-5 miles a couple of times a week, I have had trouble with my right IT band. I have been working with a physical therapist who specializes in running for the past two months, and she thinks my problems will go away with some increased hip strength and a quicker running cadence. The quicker cadence is, of course, in line with the natural running technique encouraged by barefoot running, which excited me because I had just recently finished reading Born To Run and wanted to go in that direction. She encouraged me to try minimalist shoes, which I did, but then things got complicated. Apparently, I have a slight tibial varum (bow-leggedness of the tibias), which causes a pinching of the tendons underneath my outside ankles when I run barefoot or in shoes with no support. It's hard to explain, but basically I'm looking for a pair of minimalist style shoes to encourage the quicker cadence and forefoot striking, but that offer some medial support. I have tried the new Brooks PureCadence, but they didn't fit my foot well and caused some pain on the outside of my foot.

Has anyone else out there had this problem, and/or does anyone have any shoe recommendations? Thanks! I'd love any advice because I really don't want to go back to the "normal," chunkier running shoe if I don't have to.

There are a lot of people out

There are a lot of people out there who overcome physical deformities and problems that run barefoot and minimalist. I think as you become a stronger barefoot and minimalist runner your bowleggedness will not bother you as much. You have to find what works for you and your body style and type in your running form. There are so many shoes out there that claim to be minimalist and are not. A true minimalist shoe will not have any support in them. I don't believe any of Brooks shoes are considered minimalist either.

In any case, I know it's hard to build up the new muscles and we all want to "run far and fast now" but going minimalist or barefoot is just the first step. The second is to actually build up the muscles that you haven't used for so long. This can take awhile despite you having been a runner prior to making the switch. You may not even notice as time goes by that you are getting stronger and better until one day you realize you don't hurt anymore or have the same problems. There is no quick fix just temporary solutions that don't actually fix the problem at its source. I'm no doctor mind you and this is just my humble opinion from my own experience and from what I've heard from others. Good luck and I hope you get this leg problem worked out.

No advise on the deformity

No advise on the deformity here, but welcome to the site! I hope all goes well, and good luck!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7