New from Southern California

ladycheshire5

Barefooters
Aug 16, 2011
I suppose it's proper to introduce yourself to a new group. :) I'm Laura, I live in Laguna Beach, CA and I just started barefoot running about a month ago. I had plans to use a minimal shoe but since I'm tight on money I decided to just go barefoot! I had hip pain at the start because I pushed myself too hard for an event and my shoes were worn out. Since barefoot running, no more hip pain. That was exciting! I love the feeling of being barefoot, it's so liberating, I fell in love with running because it was so minimal, a good pair of shoes and that's all I needed! I don't like the gym at all, I love being outside. Now it seems I don't really even need a "good pair of shoes". ;)

I've gotten through the calf pain, I'm currently struggling with blisters. :( I don't know how long it takes to build thicker skin but I sure hope it's not too much longer, it's holding me back. I posted about that in the doctors forum.

Looking forward to gleaning some helpful wisdom from this forum. Thanks in advance. :)

Welcome, Laura!

Welcome, Laura!

Glad to see you here, Laura. 

Glad to see you here, Laura. I also had hip pain (no cartilege left after 25 years of heel-striking) that is gone with BFR. Patience is key to a successful transition. It will take you a few months of slow, steady building up to be able to run any reasonable distance or length of time safely. Start short and slow, every other day, to let your sole (plantar) skin get thicker gradually. This also gives you time to allow your running-shoe-high-heel-shortened achilles' to ease back into their natural length; and it gives your fine motor control tissues in your feet time to get used to working again, which shoes prevented for however many years you ran in them. Enjoy, and ask lots of questions of the broadly experienced and very friendly folks here.

Phil

Hey Phil,  Great advice.

Hey Phil,

Great advice. Problem I had when I started was the broad advice of "take it slow at first" meant something different to me. I didn't have much specific information at first, so going slow meant 1 mile and feeling great one day pushed it to two. :-/ Then regularly 1 mile or so, I did do every other day though. And I wound up hurting myself. So now I'm off running until my foot recovers. Looks like I'll be a cyclist for a while.

Thanks for the welcome. It's so awesome to see so many people that have relieved their pains and problems with BF running! :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts