Mystery injury

Hi all,

I've been having fun running hills and stairs here in Korea. Apparenlty too much fun because now I've jacked up my foot. I posted a message to Dr. Mike and hope he has some info for me. I can't find anything like it anywhere on the running injury sites.

Of course, I have a half marathon in 2 weeks, grrrrr. It started hurting Monday so I didn't run again until today. I waited until it wasn't sore anymore, but not I can't even walk, ARG! I'll go to the doc on Monday, but I know he is going to have a fit about the barefoot running. There is a doc that wears VFFs to run, but I haven't met him yet. I'm also pretty sure this has more to do with walking down stairs than actually running.

Here is a pic of where it hurts. Ignore the other blisters etc. it is an old picture.

ouchfoot.jpg

Wendy, I've developed a case

Wendy, I've developed a case of Plantar Fasciitis (PF) too from walking on my heels trying to avoid putting weight on the balls of my feet where the cyrosurgery was performed. I did this for the first three months after the surgery and still do it a little, since my problem with Morton's Neuroma (MN) (directly caused by wearing and running in shoes) was not resolved by the surgery; if anything, it's worse than before the surgery. Sucks, I know!

But anywho, I've dealt with PF before, and YES, you can have PF in that exact area just like the doc said. In fact, the first time I had PF (developed while running in a pair of ASICS Kayanos), I was dealing with it, doing all the usual treatments, when one morning, I awoke with the worst pain I have ever had in my feet in my life, exactly where you described, and it radiated up and down, just like you described. Apparently, I had slept with my foot in the wrong direction and tore the PF even more or cramped it up. It hurt like Hell! I'll never forget it.

I recommend if you have PF and sleep on your stomach, then try to sleep on your side or your back. When you have PF and sleep on your stomach, you are allowing the plantar fascia to recoil, opposite from the position you want your foot to be in while sleeping with PF. You want your foot to be in a flexed state (not pointed) throughout sleep and as much as possible during all times.
The second time I developed PF, I got it again from putting on a pair of Kayanos. I was going to pick up my race packet for a half marathon I was running the next day. It was raining, and I didn't want to get my VFFs wet, since I was going to run the half in them, so like an idiot, I put them on instead. I took two steps, and the PF reignited in my right foot. Hurt like Hell, but somehow, I managed to run the half the next day.
Now mind you, your foot will feel much better if you can walk around in soft, spongy shoes, but it will take you twice as long to get over PF if you baby it that way, so I don't recommend it...but I am NOT a doctor.
This is what I did to get rid of it:
  • I got a night splint to keep my foot in a flexed state while I slept. (A little difficult to do now with two afflicted feet.) If you can't get one, be sure to gently but seriously flex your feet several times as soon as you wake up before you even take that first step. Any exercise that points your toes to your knee/shin will work. PF is known for "the first step in the morning pain." The reason is, the fascia recoils while at rest when the foot is in the pointed direction, and when you take that first step, you are forcing the fascia to stretch rapidly without warm up which in essence redamages the fascia even more.
  • I got a Step Stretch (below) and used it religiously throughout the day starting with as soon as I woke up, before my run (once I had rested enough and was able to start running again), and before I went to bed. It comes with good exercises to follow in order to do it best. They even have a double one for those of us too lazy to spend the time doing each foot separately.
  • I used a frozen water bottle and rolled it under my foot while I was sitting at my desk and table.
  • I took anti-inflammatories for the maximum allowed dose for the maximum allowed duration.
The first time I had PF, I followed these treatment, but I also relied on the cushyness and "comfort" of shoes and ran in them as well (not understanding that they were the cluprit to both my MN and PF)--it took two whole months to get over the PF. The second time I had PF, I cut the shoes out altogether and got over the PF in just one month.
This info took hours and hours of experience, research, and experiment, so I know it's good advice. I realize you probably know all this already, but just in case, I wanted others who might be suffering the same to know as well.

I've never dealt with this,

I've never dealt with this, (and frankly as a BF runner, never thought I would) :( so it is all new and helpful info, thanks!!! What is weird is it doesn't particularly hurt in the morning and I read that PF hurst worst when going up stairs. I can go up fine, but can't go down. I'll see a doc tomorrow to be sure and try to talk him into giving me a prednisone pack in case it is mostly my RA flaring. AAHHHH!!! I hate injuries!!!!!

If you have PF, and since

If you have PF, and since your injury isn't in the "usual" location, it's very well possible that you won't feel that "first step of the morning pain."

Will you order the double Step Stretch? I mean if you're lazy like me, it helps to get it over with in a hurry.

After looking at it, I'm

After looking at it, I'm thinking the 60 or so stairs in my house will work :) I put my forefeet on the lowest step and did some calf raises today. If I go really really slowly, it is okay. It is now 7 pm and I have been almost walking normally for the last couple of hours. It is funny, I can walk right if I think about it, but the minute I stop concentrating I start limping.

How I feel in the morning will be a big decision maker. Fortunately, I sleep on my side so I'm not worried about my foot pointing. I learned years ago to stretch in my sleep with my foot flexed to avoid calf cramps. I also realized I was a day late with my RA meds so that probably added to the inflammation. RA complicates everything :p

Those steps may have hurt

Those steps may have hurt you, but it sounds like they may help you too. Steps should work, since you can basically do some of the same exercises on them, as you described. I don't know if I added earlier, but anytime you are at rest then get up to walk around, be sure to point/stretch your toes to your chins/knees a few times to avoid retearing the fascia.

Barefoot TJ wrote:(developed

Barefoot TJ said:
(developed while running in a pair of ASICS Kayanos)

The Kayanos is the last shoe I had before I went barefoot/minimal. I looked at that thing and said, wow that is alot of shoe and rubber.

BF Wendy: Sorry to hear about your PF issues. From what I have heard, and the many testamonies I have read, barefoot running is supposed to cure PF.

I notice that your foot seems to be pretty beat up, blisters here and there, and the one blister on the heel stands out. Not sure if that is from stair running? I know you have been running barefoot for awhile now, but maybe your form is still a bit off?

Funny, I was about to get a

Funny, I was about to get a pair of Kayanos when I started barefooting. I'm kinda glad I didn't.

Wendy, good luck with your recovery. It seems I have a case of PF too, I just didn't know it until I read this. For a few weeks now, the first few steps in the morning have hurt like hell. Time to stretch, I think.

The Kayanos is the last shoe

The Kayanos is the last shoe I had before I went barefoot/minimal. I looked at that thing and said, wow that is alot of shoe and rubber.

I know. Crazy, huh?

Those were old pictures of Wendy's feet, BTW.

Guys, just because we are barefoot runners doesn't mean we are immune to injury. We are runners first and foremost, and whether or not we have something on our feet while running, we can become injured. We would just hope that with barefoot running, we are better able to run in a way that allows us to listen to our bodies better AND allow us to know when to back off so we don't experience injuries, the same injuries that shod runners run through because they are unable to feel that they are pending injury with the pillowed cushions on their feet.

Most of the damage you

abusedfoot.jpg

Most of the damage you see if from running on really hot pavement a few months ago, then the the peeling started :) The one tell-tale form issue is the calus above (or below) my pinky toe. I land too much on the ouside of my foot, which I definitely agree contributed to my current issue, but would have been okay if I hadn't over done it so badly. The rest of the damage has all healed. That was the worst my feet had looked since I started BFR last summer so it was kind of funny. Moral of the story is: Watch out for hot pavement!!!!!

Doc says it is called,

Doc says it is called, "Osan Syndrome" so many people get hurt because their is so much walking, so many hills, and so many stairs. Had and x-ray, scheduled an MRI, going to try to stay off of it for a while. When I asked him about a half marathon in 11 days he said, "We'll see." Which is way better than a hearty l...augh!! Oh yea, and the doc runs in VFFS, WHOOT!

Wendy, sorry I didn't know

Wendy, sorry I didn't know that was on old picutre of your foot. Thanks for clearing up the injuries, loved the foot chart!

"Osan Syndrome" never heard of it before, amazing the new things we can learn medically from running barefoot as well, I really don't think I would be paying to much attention to my feet, and injuries, if I was still running shod.

Rest sounds like a great idea, I hope things turn out for the best.

I couldn't find anything on

I couldn't find anything on Osan Syndrome on the net, Wendy. Osan is Korean. What is the American equivalent to this syndrome? Have you looked this up online? What is Osan Syndrome? What happened to your foot? Is it a bone problem? Is it a muscle problem? Is it a ligament problem? I want to know more, please.

TJ, livebyfaith: I'm guessing

TJ, livebyfaith: I'm guessing it's a local term, not an official name.

That's what I thought too.  I

That's what I thought too. I still want to know what it refers to...what injury, what part of her foot was injured exactly.

I believen the American

I believen the American equivalent is "TMTS due to environmental change" Osan syndrome is tongue and cheek :) Many people end up in the doc's office here because they aren't used to walking so much, let alone up and down hills and stairs every day. I really think it was the walking that got me. I still heel strike when I walk, even though I was wearing VFFs mostly.

The doc isn't sure yet what is going on. He did an x-ray, just on the off chance that something showed up, but it takes a couple of weeks to get scheduled for an MRI. I'll keep everyone posted and make a copy of the MRI before I turn it in. If it shows anything, I can send a copy to Dr. Mike! Heck, I'll post the MRI on Youtube, LOL.

I'm actually depressed today because I had to make the decision not to book my seat on the bus to the HM in the DMZ. That was REALLY hard for me!! Losing a race registration sucks, but it is the idea that I won't be running any time soon that really gets me. I need to run!!!!! TJ, my sympathy for you increases every moment!

Oh, I'm doing okay, I guess,

Oh, I'm doing okay, I guess, Wendy. I got 22.2 healthy barefoot miles last week, not my 30 - 40 mpw, but I'll get there. What really troubles me is the heel pain I've developed from walking around on my heels those 3-1/2 months after the surgery. I am able to run without feeling the heel pain, but when I start walking around, it feels worse. I really DO believe that my running barefoot is making it better each day and the stretching is SO KEY in getting over the heel pain as I notice a huge difference, since I started doing it regularly. It's just that when I walk through the stores or into the preschool to pick up and drop off my son, my heels start to hurt so bad again. It's like two steps forward, one step back with this problem. I wore my VFFs (for the shock factor. Hee.) yesterday into the school, and they did nothing to help me stay up on the forefoot, yet allowed me to heel strike (as is so normal with so many people while walking, including me...if I were normal. Ha!). When I'm barefoot, I can walk with my knees bent a little and that really takes the pain off the heels and adds a little stretch at the same time.
I'm sorry you are going to miss this race, Wendy. That bites. I know you were so looking forward to it too. BUT, there will be others, so start looking for the next one, and make your plans. For now, you did the right thing by canceling, especially since you don't have a definitive answer as to what is wrong with your foot.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7