My IT band is winning (and I'm determined not to let it)

Just thought I'd update that

Just thought I'd update that I had a 5 mile race today and my IT band did GREAT. I used KT Tape on it and focused on my form. Still going to my appointment tomorrow because this has come and gone so many times I expect if I don't get it resolved it'll come back. But I was thrilled it didn't bother me today.

I asked in that other thread

I asked in that other thread about how you figured out how to configure the taping that way (in the picture), but I probably should have asked that here.

Since there is no real

Since there is no real science behind elastic tape therepy, you can just apply it in a pattern that you think might help.

If it works, keep using that pattern. If it doesn't , try another.

It had been around since the 70's, but only in 2008 did American athletes start sporting it.

It will probably go down in history as just another fad, sort of like boat anchors.

Invented by a Japanese chiropractor, it only enjoyed widespread visibility after 50,000 rolls were donated to Olympians

at Beijing.

Us barefooters/minimalists must be extra careful to not substitute one over-hyped crutch for another.

Shoes are not the only thing that had been sold to us hook, line, and sinker.

Longboard--Yeah, I honestly

Longboard--Yeah, I honestly don't know if it works or not. I know on my hip in particular it feels good when I put it on, like it's adding a bit of stability, but who knows; it may only be stabilizing my skin! I'm just willing to try stuff right now, especially to get me past this race & long training runs, and the tape only cost about $9 so if it's a placebo effect, it's a cheap one. Hopefully by getting some real help tomorrow I won't feel the need to use the tape soon.

It can't hurt. Despite plenty

It can't hurt. Despite plenty of evidence suggesting avoiding it, my wife is popping NSAIDS daily for her knee pain.

We know that can't be good. If the tape works, use it!

Longboard--I'm thinking of

Longboard--I'm thinking of using it for some arch issues I'm having. (Maybe mild PF, but doesn't really fit the pattern--it starts hurting in the middle of a run, and doesn't hurt in the morning.) It makes sense to me that it would work for that because it provides arch support. HOWEVER, I know what you mean about replacing boat anchors with something else. I'm hesitant to automatically use it for the arch issues because I feel like I'm getting them primarily because of some form tweaking that needs to be done, and I don't want to cover that up! So I may just bring a couple of pieces of it along on my runs, and use it on my foot when I really need to, to complete a run.

Here's how I see tape--IF it does work, it doesn't actually fix the problem. It may help to protect a bit (like keeping me from further inflaming the muscles or whatever they are in my arch), and it may help relieve pain, but generally it doesn't get to the root of a problem. If I can use it to help in training, great. But with issues that come up repeatedly (like the IT band stuff) it's got to be secondary to doing things that actually FIX the issue.

Sounds like a plan to

Sounds like a plan to me.

Remember, 95% of people who take up running for health, fitness, weight loss, or any other reason end up giving up on the activity due to acute or chronic pain of some sort.

Us Kool-Aid drinkers believe that we know the answer to that problem, but we still have'nt achieved the 95% success rate we like to brag about.

K Tape, despite it's lack of scientific proof, is better than most other choices, i.e. quitting, drugging, etc.

Give it a chance, we all have a lot to learn regarding what works and what does'nt for each of us as individuals.

It will probably go down in

It will probably go down in history as just another fad, sort of like boat anchors.

I often feel this way about TRSs too. The problem is it's been one of the longest running fads going.

Mini plugs to connect to an

Mini plugs to connect to an audio source for mind wandering or cadence assistance?

Naw, not as long.

Naw, not as long.

No, that's what I thought

No, that's what I thought TRS's were (tip/ring/sleeve plugs)

What were YOU refering to?

I need to know what TRSes are

I need to know what TRSes are too!

I forgot, TJ's from

I forgot, TJ's from Georgia.

Traditional Running Shoes

Traditional Running Shoes (TRS) are your "today" boat anchors.

Ah! Should have known it

Ah! Should have known it would be something simple like that. :)

Just to add some of my input,

Just to add some of my input, though I found everyone deals with an IT issue differently. I sufferedd an IT issue during marathon training. I am sure it was mentioned but IT issues start with weak hips. I went to a PT for a bit and he found that hips were not probably aligned, that can be an issue as well. So he gave me some hip strengtening exerices to do, and I saw improvements. Just from doing these excersices I could tell my right side was weaker than my left, the right side was my problem area.

Check out this link, these excercises help me tremonduously with my IT issue.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18359&PageNum=1

Thanks, Adam! I've actually

Thanks, Adam! I've actually been doing hip strengthening exercises for awhile because I'd read about the connection between hips and knees. Unfortunately not as consistently lately though. :)

I had my first appointment at the rehab place today. The chiropractor did some ART (Active Release Therapy) which I think helped. And then one of the other guys showed me how to better use the trigger point therapy stuff I've already been doing! I got some great techniques that should help really work things out. It was amazing how using their tools and techniques I was finding trigger points I didn't know I had (even with all my foam rolling.) Also learned one more strengthening exercise, and they'll be showing me more exercises to do in future appointments.

I'm going back on Wednesday and Friday. Want to get things loosened up so I can do my long run (10 mi) this weekend. The doctor thinks this will be totally worked out in 2-3 weeks, which is awesome since my race is in 5 weeks. I don't have anything torn or badly injured; just common sports injuries caused by tight muscles. He said he's not giving me any activity restrictions and thinks I'll be fine this weekend.

He confirmed I've been on the right track, with focusing on adjusting my running form and the trigger point therapy. They're just helping me to focus that better. Also I do strength training but they'll help me to target exactly what exercises are going to most help with my issues.

I appreciate all the input here! There are just so many ways to approach this; I feel like I need to listen to one person so that I'm not trying to go in a bunch of different directions. I feel good about this doctor and know how much he's helped a friend of mine, and other athletes.

Plus he was totally cool with the BFR/MR thing. Didn't even suggest I get shoes with arch support to help with the arch pain I'm having. It's not plantar fasciitis, he said; it's probably connected to calf tightness, which I know now better how to deal with.

Good luck,  you will find

Good luck, you will find what works for you. When I fisrt started asking about IT problems, the number thing I was told to do was stretching. Stetching did absolutely nothing for me, it actually works against me. So you will find what works for you.

I totally understand about going in different directions because there is so much you can do with an IT issue, but once you find something that is helping, stick with it and forget everything else.

Thank you, thank you, thank

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone who contributed to this thread. I have read all of it and gone to the links and done the exercises recommended. I plan to get on a weight program too. Having learned to run in the early 80's I have discovered that I have a sort of old-school approach that assumes I don't need things like weights to be a better runner.

Jimmy you suggested it after I asked about how to skinny down a mile time so I'm now ready to do it.

Nate, I look forward to doing the yoga postures. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.

Adam, the Running Times article was very good too. "See if this sounds familiar: First your Achilles flares up. The next week your knee starts bothering you. Then your hamstring gets all hitchy. And all on your left side. It can't be a coincidence." All that did sound familiar so I look forward to doing those exercises.

It's been driving me crazy not running in hopes that it will heal on it's own. I feel much better now that I can be proactive in the healing. THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7