My First Triathlon - Barefoot

Discussion in 'Barefoot & Minimalist Triathletes' started by JEFF CT, Jul 10, 2014.

1. JEFF CT

JEFF CT
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Connecticut
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

Hey- Just completed my first SPRINT Triathlon tonight. Great race. I have more work to do on my swim, but Im happy with the results.

I hopped out of the water with 23:25 for the half mile. Jogged up to the bike in T1 for 1:48. Got on the bike and despite some rain and slowing for some intersections kept a 16.2 mph avg, which is good for me. Hopped off the bike, and racked it, then ran out of T2 (still barefoot) and did the 3.1 mile run. The roads were a bit more pitted than I would have liked. Near mile 1.33 the road smoothed out on the out-and-back course. So I got about 1/3 a mile of smooth, warm, wet pavement. I was able to keep a 7:59 pace on the run. Overall happy with results.
    [​IMG]

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    mokaman, Scratch, The Ramzev and 6 others like this.
  2. Abide

Abide
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Nederland -...

Congrats and all barefoot. Do you wear a wetsuit?

3. Nerobot

Nerobot
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Got my first triathlon - sprint distance - in September and if my feet are up to it (I've just started learning to barefoot) I hope to do the run barefoot.

happysongbird likes this.
  4. JEFF CT

JEFF CT
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Connecticut
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

no wetsuit. I ordered one, but it isnt in yet. I like the idea of a really fast transition, but my next race is 2x the swim and frankly Im a little nervous about that part. I have been told "if you dont get a chance to try out the wetsuit before the race, dont race in it." its in the mail and cutting it close right now.

5. Abide

Abide
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Nederland -...

I just ordered one online and tried it on and it seems to fit great, going to take it out for a swim tonight.
    I can't say I would recommend to swim a mile in it without practice but I have done it before. At the very least can you bring it to the pool? If its a full suit getting out of the damn thing does take some practice.

happysongbird likes this.
  6. happysongbird

happysongbird
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

great job on the race!

JEFF CT likes this.
  7. Mikkel

Mikkel
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Denmark

What about the ride. Did you also do that BF?

8. JEFF CT

JEFF CT
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Connecticut
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

yes. I bought "Avenir Comfort Pedals" - They were great! I have done 26 miles on them so far. $10 on Amazon! !

[​IMG]

9. JEFF CT

JEFF CT
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Connecticut
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Presidents

HEY ALL - 2nd TRI coming up. Ive put in the time, just enjoying the taper. (brownies) whatever. I am not 100% ready, but as ready as I can be from here. The wetsuit was on backorder, but it came in this Monday. No time to test it out, but I have put it on once. I plan to practice on & off next couple days. Might be able to get a pool swim in just to check it out, but timing will be tight and its not really recommended for the suit. That reminds me- I think its the chlorine that is bad for the suit. I was in a pool this week that seemed.. salty. I wonder if they are using a saltwater filter system??? Anyway - I have biked the actual route 2x and today I was able to run the run route. Its not ideal, but Ive done worse. My feet arent 100%, but they should be fine. I got a couple sore spots on my run today. Mainly mile 1.6-2.6 is really rough. The rest of it has some spots of gravel where there is construction going on, and I hit one spot with broken glass, but it just felt like small sharp stones. So, the hay is in the barn. I'll just focus on my sleep. :)

10. Abide

Abide
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Nederland -...

It's easier to get them off when they are wet so if you can get it off quickly dry you should be fine I think.
    I went for a short swim before I got inundated by seaweed in mine, swimming in it really doesn't feel all that much different in my opinion and I would just go for it. Unless the water is warm and you are comfortable swimming without one?
    Salt water pools still use chlorine, but I can't imagine chlorine would really hurt it once or twice. Maybe it would void a warranty? Who knows you can always try it in the shower to see the difference.
    Have fun this weekend? Its cool to see you doing it all barefoot. I biked one in flip flops and people thought it was hilarious, was gonna run it barefoot but it was on a gravel road.

JEFF CT likes this.