My first barefoot 5k race

NickW wrote:I was shocked at

NickW said:
I was shocked at the negativity. I wonder if maybe part of it had to do with the shop that runs this seems to ignore me and not help me when I come in there because I'm a barefooter and dont purchase shoes. I refuse to go to this shop if I dont have to. I'm still going to run barefoot TJ. People in my neighborhood give me odd looks sometimes but for the most part I've never been made to feel like this. I love barefooting and I am not going to let anyone tell me I cant, but I also dont want to be made to feel like crap because of it either. I do have a question for some of u. I didnt end up with much for blisters despite running much faster than I normally do, but I did develop holes so to speak on the ball of each foot just below the big toe. I noticed theres a pointy bone right there. Is this a sign of pushing off or is it just because my feet arent tough enough? They arent blisters at all, just spots that are worn down. Thanks for the advice and thanks for all the support!

dingdingding!!! we have a winner. If the shop that runs the event is a bad attitude to bfr shop, then it follows that they have influenced their clientele in a similar fashion. It's BS really and I will gladly not give that shop my money. I do appreciate your choice to run in support of the memory and cause, so good on ya. I've gotten no negativity in my (all of two) races so far; just lots of encouragement. It's a shame they soured your experience with a closed-minded reaction to you.

If entering races is a motivator and sense of enjoyment for you keep doing it; In the Portland area you're bound to find like minded souls (soles?? Har Har) with which to enjoy the experience. From what I've read here and on your blog you are a great ambassador for bfr, so definitely keep it up!

man that sucks. i ran today

man that sucks. i ran today and got great responses from everyone. only one guy at the start of the race was like "serious". i heard others saying things about me but i just kept running my race. other people high fived me, one lady kept teasing me but i gave back harder than she gave to me. we laughed at the end. i just smiled through it all.

no one can make you feel like anything. how you feel is all up to you. like TJ said, it takes time to get comfortable being bf at a race. jeez, i even felt weird running through the start and seeing spectators along the course. i even heard my friend yell at me when i was crossing the finish line. i didn't know he was there, his wife ran, so i didn't look. i sure freaked everyone out though and that was fun.

Mike

Ya Lomad, that shop is the

Ya Lomad, that shop is the one out in Tualatin by the bbq place and bestbuy. I refuse to go there if I don't have to. Unfortunately I had to go there on Friday for packet pickup. They gave me a 25% discount and I still won't shop there. I actually drove way out to Fit Right NW and bought my Altra Adams and some other stuff even though it is way out of my way. They are very helpful and despite my mostly being a barefooter. I guess the owner wants to cater to everyone, not just shod runners. Had a great talk with them on Friday.

Mike, I actually was fine prior to the race for the most part and I didn't mind the dirty looks so much. My wife has explained to me more about the dirty looks, and I don't understand this but this is how she was raised, but being barefoot in public is like a huge faux pas and a lot of people find it really disgusting and unhygenic. Just the sight of the barefeet. I find this very weird because these same people will go on a beach barefoot or take off their flip flops at someones home and walk around barefoot. Anyhow, I am getting over that part pretty easy, I think it was the combo of the cheating comment and the dirty looks that really got to me. Normally I'm not such a sensitive feller.

Hopefully I will get to run with some of you all that are local sometime in the near future. I would love to meet everyone and hopefully I may get some pointers from some more experianced runners that will help me out.

I do know that store. I

I do know that store. I stopped shopping there after the first time I went in there. Told me I didn't know anything about my own needs (this was pre-barefoot, even). Fit Right is awesome. They have been totally cool about barefoot running with me, and I've dealt with several of the folks there between the Vancouver (where I live) and NW Portland locations. They have never downplayed barefoot and one guy actually supports it. They get my accessory dollars, for sure.

Keep me posted on how you like the Adams, btw; I'm interested in them for winter shoes...

i'll talk to Joshh about

i'll talk to Joshh about setting up a group run soon. we haven't done one for a few months.

i understand about people being grossed out about being bf. i used to as well. now i obviously think different. if they tell you it's unsanitary just tell them you don't touch your food with your feet and you also wash them daily. remind them not everyone washes their hands after using the bathroom and then touches food, your hands, door handles, etc..

you can't change the world but if you can get people to think, that's great.

Mike

Nick:I think you are looking

Nick:

I think you are looking to much into this, and maybe imagining some things. I can relate because way back in the beginning of my barefootness, I was really consumed by it. Most likely people are not looking at you angrily, in fact it's probably more fascination, and what the hell moments! In the beginning I used to think there was a negative vibe, but in reality there was none. These feelings you have dissappear at time goes on. In today's society transitioning into barefoot running, or a barefoot lifestyle, the mental aspect of it is more challenging than the physical part of being barefoot.

So far I have ran maybe a total of 8 barefoot races, and all have been completely positive. And I would say out of 6 of them I probably was the only barefoot runner.

So far lomad I really like

So far lomad I really like the Adams, but I haven't run except a coupple hundred yards or so in them which I don't consider a run. There's one part that kept me from buying them origionally, which is the achor point for the front strap. It goes across the base of the toes for me and I was really worried about it rubbing my toe raw. I ended up taking the advice of jimmy on here as he said that he was worried about that too but within a few minutes he didn't notice it anymore. For me I had the same results, and I am super picky about shoes.

I love how easy they are to slip on and they remind me of kso's only without having to fight to get the toes in. I wear them all the time without and insole in them and the outsole is just 3.4 mm thick! These are the closest shoe to a vff without having toes on the market "I believe". I am finding I need to wear a small liner sock with them because I have sensitive skin and they are "itchy" I guess is the word I'm looking for. They just feel a touch rough on the inside, but they are brand new only had them since Friday, so once they break in I'm sure they'll be just fine.

I will write up a proper review after I get some miles in these, but this is my initial thoughts. ajw has a pair and I believe saypay just won a pair so they may be able to chime in as well.

Gentile, thats what I thought

Gentile, thats what I thought at first too, but I really dont think I was being hyper critical. Like I said earlier the looks don't bother me as much as that comment did. I met some nice people there too and some who just thought I was weird and I did get the odd look from time to time.

It wasn't all negative and in fact I was very pleased with a lot of it. I talked to a nice gentleman at the start line before the race about barefooting and why I did it and he told me about when he lived in Guam that they would run around the island completely barefoot. He was always amazed by it.

I also got a word of enouragement from the only person there that was wearing vff's. There were exactly 4 people ho wore minimal shoes there and two of them I saw still heel striking in them and the other two were running in more of a barefoot manner. The dude in the vff's was super fast. There was no way I was keeping up with him.

Congratulations Nick ! Great

Congratulations Nick ! Great job and time for a first race barefoot :smile:

Sorry to hear about the negative reactions.

I have to say I must have been lucky so far, only encouraging comments from people around.

This reminds me, I was

This reminds me, I was running where I normally run, and I saw this guy (Jesse) running toward me barefoot. Of course, I put on the breaks, turned to talk to him, found out he was new at this, then we decided to finish our run together and talk. He tells me that a golf cart full of teenage boys passed him earlier and yelled something about his being barefoot. Just as he finished telling me this, a cart (the same cart) full of teenage boys pass us, now going in the opposite direction, and I hear a couple of them comment something like, "They're BOTH barefoot!" Ha! Jesse says, "That's those guys I was telling you about." What they must have thought to see two people running barefoot! Hysterical!

Like I said, when we represent, we are represented. We gotta stick this out together. That's why these forums are so important for us. We can lean on each other and support one another to help us through the tuff times.

(Hi, Jesse, if you're reading this! I got him to join the BRS's Georgia Chapter, and he joined us on our run.)

Paraganek, from what I hear

Paraganek, from what I hear your quite the fast runner so I doubt anyone would question your methods. I'll get there eventually, or maybe not, I don't know but right now I'm enjoying just being able to run. Hopefully I'll get to meet you this weekend in the 'Couve if I'm able to go. Not sure if my inlaws are picking up my son or not yet from his class on Saturday. Hopefully they are so I can go run with you all.

The more of use show up to

The more of use show up to races or popular training spots the more it will be accepted. The lone bf runner can be kept in the wierd freak catagory. But 2, 3, 4 can't be ignored. Give it enough time and we will have our own herd.
smile.png

Look, you freakin

Look, you freakin cheater...you got busted! You were running in a smoother, gentler, efficient and more fun way...that's cheating! Most people think this is tough stuff and you're a Billy-bad-ass for being able to do it, but this guy saw through your charade. Take your lumps like a man! LOL

I guaranty, there were people who went home, after seeing you run, and they googled barefoot running and researched it! Eventually, you doing what you enjoy, is healthy and better for your body, is going to help someone else. To me, that's worth the odd comment of the ignorant variety! (and that one was odd!)

I feel a little sorry for people who run in shoes. Not that there is anything wrong with it, if done corrctly, but they miss out on the good stuff! Textures, temperatures, the tickle of crass, a cool puddle on a hot day, feet never get soggy, the wind in your toes...I could go on. Instead, their feet are locked in socks, in shoes, crushed, suphocated, deformed. It's brutal! Who wouldn't be a little grumpy!

-Jonny

Speaking of feeling the

Speaking of feeling the ground beneath your feet Jonny, I just remembered part way through the race when I was stuck behind a group of sprinters who had slowed down, we were on a narrow paved trail and I couldn't get around them. I was looking to run off the side of trail and there was a footwide bed of woodchips. Its been quite awhile since I ran on any woodchips and it hurt like the dickens last time. I debated with myself for a good 30 seconds while trying to find opening I could squeeze through before I decided to just run past them on the woodchips. I was amazed at how well I handled them and they didnt hurt at all. Almost felt like running on a padded mat or something. Was quite nice actually. That right there was an accomplishment in itself for me, especially when a couple of the people didnt want the barefooter to pass them so they sprinted up, only to be passed by me again a couple minutes later.

Kickin' ass and takin' names

Kickin' ass and takin' names right there!

Walking on wood chips sucks,

Walking on wood chips sucks, I would much rather run on them. There's a little park by my house that we sometimes take my son to and I've walked around barefoot on the wood chips there quite a bit and hate every minute of it. It's been at least a couple months since the last time I was there so I was very surprised at how well I did on them in the race.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts