My feet are toughening up, but when.........

Jeepmonkey

Barefooters
Oct 13, 2010
will the nipples start to toughen up? I swear! My feet could've gone a few more miles tonight, but my nipples were on fire! Any other guys here have that problem? I'm going to get a UnderArmor shirt, but is there anything else I can do? I was thinking maybe some Vaseline on them before I start?

Or am I a total wimp?

My wife actually suggested a

My wife actually suggested a sports bra. I don't think I'm that desperate yet. I thought about band aids or even scotch tape, but that might get expensive after a while. Plus, band aids and chest her probably don't mix well.

I've heard either band-aids

I've heard either band-aids or tape work. Personally I've never had a problem, but I don't have pecks at all, so it probably makes a difference. (Running hundreds of miles will get you into great shape, but unfortunately the muscles you aren't using, i.e. most of your upper body, actually shrink so you don't have to carry the extra weight.) Perhaps the curse of my ribs still sticking out is actually a blessing of not getting my nips sanded off.

Band-aids & chest hair

Band-aids & chest hair DO NOT MIX!! 'Course, that's only a problem early on... ;-)

I apply band-aids on any run longer than 10 miles, or if my shirt is/or is going to be too "clingy". I have a buddy that ran a marathon and it looked like he'd been shot (twice).

(Hint: run only in maroon shirts) Just sayin'... ;-)

what about an ace bandage? Or

what about an ace bandage? Or a tight fitting moisture wicking shirt or tank underneath your t shirt?

One more reason to run where

One more reason to run where the weather better suits NS/NS

Does this guy not know his

Does this guy not know his nipples are bleeding? I mean why not just yank off your top, wipe yourself up with your shirt, and toss it? Or hold onto it? Whatever. It wouldn't look as silly as this.

The under armor shirt should

The under armor shirt should work well. It must not fit loose. Friction is the problem and my underamor technical shirt solved the problem.

TJ, there is a really good

TJ, there is a really good chance he didn't know about the bleeding. I was running a 1/2 marathon last year and there was a lady running in front of me that had...ummm...well....let's just say I think it may have been that time...

(WARNING: Eye Bleach moment ahead) Anyway, it finally dawned on her and she was trying to be inconspicuous (hard to do, btw). I was going to offer her my shirt to use however she needed/wanted to, but all the runners were doing a pretty good job of pretending nothing was happening. So I also avoided eye contact, thus allowing her some modicum of modesty.

But, you know, you're out there sweating and stuff, and sometimes you just don't know.

Or it could be early onset of Alzheimers...Hey! who are you people and where is the horse I rode in on... ;-)

if you are someplace

if you are someplace relatively warm why not just ditch the shirt. I'm horribly jealous of guys that can run with no shirt on especially on hot days.

Vaseline works, but I prefer

Vaseline works, but I prefer to just wear a moisture wicking compression shirt on days when ill be sweating heavily. The worst part is how bad it stings after it happens. :stare:

Oh that photo, TJ! I'm not

Oh that photo, TJ! I'm not sure whether to laugh or puke!

I remember seeing a product one time at Road Runner Sports' website that was SPECIFICALLY an anti-chafe product for the nipples.

Most of us women who have breastfed have experienced some sort of nipple soreness, so we don't feel too bad that you men get your turn. :p

I can't believe it took two

I can't believe it took two pages of posts before someone brought up breastfeeding! :)

It's not quite warm enough anymore to go shirtless. Plus, I'd like to lose some weight, so wearing a sweatshirt and sweating a little more is alright.

I will say that I was lucky

I will say that I was lucky enough to never BLEED so it sounds like some men are going through far worse than I ever experienced. Owie owie owie.

C'mon, Miker.  If you're

C'mon, Miker. If you're bleeding, then more than likely you're hurting pretty bad in the titties. He's dressed like an experienced runner. I mean, he's heard of bleeding nips before, right? Why wouldn't he just look down and see "why" he's hurting so bad there.

By the way, how do you spell titties? Is that correct?

Mike is right, the real pain

Mike is right, the real pain comes "after" the run, when you take a shower. HOLY MOLY!! Talk about stinging!! But seriously, look at the guy's face. He is not having a good run anyway. He's tired, hot, probably has leg cramps, and he's just trying to finish (and I can tell he's not bf, 'cause he's not whistling!) :)

I assure you, that even though this looks like it hurts like a mo' fo', right now he is having other issues. But later...oh yes...later he will wish he had not had this happen. Guaranteed!

I was going to suggest the

I was going to suggest the tight shirt as well or something like body glide. I had two babies who were labeled "barracudas" by the lactation consultant. I'm no stranger to bloody nipples. OUCH!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7