My 6 biggest breakthroughs as a runner

1) Ditching bulky shoes
2) Increasing my cadence
3) Building gradually
4) Crosstraining intelligently
5) Not running on consecutive days
6) Realizing that running smarter is more important than running harder
(I discuss the list in detail here)
How does my list compare with your experiences?

I'm more or less in that same grouping.

1) I still have my running shoes and use them at the gym sometimes when I'm working on weights - I notice the soles a lot more, now. When I first started BFR, I would run part way BFR and the rest shod; over time, I would phase out the shoes entirely, but when I was running in the shoes, I definitely noticed the bulk.
2) I'm not sure if my cadence has changed - I never measured before and after shoes. I know that my stride changed, so there might be an increase in cadence as a function of that.
3) The gradual re-building was the second-most painful experience I have had BFR (gravel is the first). It was difficult going from running 10K w/shoes down to 0.5 miles BFR and gradually building it back up. It's been ~7 mos and I'm back up to 10K, more or less.
4) Crosstraining has always been an issue for me. I've done other stuff - paddling, cycling, weights, climbing - but I go in and out of those. Running is the thing that -despite occasional motivation failures - I've always gone back to. Right now, the fact that I bicycle commute to work a couple of days a week sort of provides the bulk of my crosstraining.
5) Not running on consecutive days is something I picked up a long time ago. When I first started running I would run 5 to 6 days a week, no more than 3 miles at a time and was fine, for the most part. As I got older and started to run longer distances, I learned the importance of the rest day. Part of this involved coming to grips with my intermittent obsessiveness on certain activities that I do - I can control my all-or-nothing behavior on some things, but not all.
6) The harder/smarter thing sort of goes along with #5 for me. I used to gut it out when I was having knee soreness because I had to get my daily 3 miles in, otherwise I was somehow "less". Now, I have a much different stance and try to suss out what's going on: Do I really hurt? or am I trying to rationalize being lazy? If I'm tired, is it because I've already cycled 65 miles and ran 15 this week? Then maybe it's time to take a day or two off. One thing that I've started doing recently is stop being so schedule-oriented, or "I run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, I ride on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and Sunday is for Yoga". Some weeks I ride more days than I run; some weeks I run more. Some weeks I'm the epitome of sloth...and I'm good with that.

Reactions: happysongbird
Not in any specific order.

1) Learning to be more efficient allowing me to work less but run faster and injury free(like your #6).
2) The importance of recovery. I do run consecutive days, but never run hard more than once a week. I also, leave the watch at home on easy days to avoid the temptation.
3) Being in your 50's is not even close to being old.
4) Discovering the camaraderie that runners share.
5) Patience.
6) Re-defining possible.

In no particular order ...

1. I can actually run.
2. I can actually run without shoes.
3. Leave the headphones behind, enjoy the run, and don't try to drown out my surroundings.
4. Pay attention to what my body is telling me (i.e. "Stop and walk you idiot, your knee is hurting!").
5. I can run on both road and trail, and enjoy both now.
6. Working harder is not always better.

1. Running comfortably with good breathing....I used to cough up a lung after running.
2. Running farther than 5 miles, due to succeeding with #1.
3. Working through the calf/achilles issues till they just, poof.....went away.

#4 is going to be learning to run fast, which is beginning, but still in progress.

All of this is due to barefoot running, since before shunning the shoes, I thought of running as one of those painful things I should be doing, instead of something I really wanted to do.

Oh....and Hydration. Learning my body's limit of water storage was a big one for me.

Reactions: Agnesd
Well, some of this is of questionable validity, because I tweaked my knee a month ago. This may have been a one-off chance of happenstance (the same thing happened to Jason, a veteran runner), but it may be due to my 'breakthroughs', in which case they're more like 'brake-throws,' as in throwing the brakes on my running.

1.) Variation. Realizing I don't have to run the same, steady pace all the time. I can vary my paces and ranges of motion. This makes recreational running much more recreational for me. I can even sprint if I want to, dammit, despite being middle-aged.

2.) Speed. It's better to run faster than farther (for me). I would rather run three miles at 8mm pace than 10 miles at 10mm pace (although the two are by no means mutually exclusive). I used to think serious running was all about mileage, but I just don't enjoy the plodding feeling of running slower. So better to learn how to run fast first and then add distance, just as the Kenyans do (although their fast and distance are quite different from mine, obviously).

3.) Gadget. I like having a running gadget. I bought a Garmin in June. I like using it on new routes and for checking my pacing progress, but I also like running without it and not thinking about pace at all, like in the old days (before June).

4.) Zoning Out. There is no number four.

5.) Gravel. Yes, I can run on gnarly, backwoods gravel, just like Ken Bob says you can. But no, I don't want to. 13+ mm pace is not my idea of a good time. Although I like the pure barefoot challenge of running on gravel, it hardly feels satisfying qua run. The sandy gravel of the nearby HS track, on the other hand, is an abrasive blast--gritty soleful pleasure at its best. Still, nice to know hardcore gravel running is possible in case I need to make a beer run or run from a bear while camping.

6.) Jewelry. I look good with toe rings. My wife has a gold band representing her on my ring finger, so I figured my kids deserve some silver bands on my toes. I like the incongruity of wearing them on my otherwise unadorned, straight-out-of-the-box body. G.I. Hippie.

4.) Trails. Opps, I guess there is a number four: one can run on trails. I used to think they were just for hiking, until I started reading BRU. Too bad the nearest trail is a 25-to-30-minute schlep away. Ignorance was bliss, now I feel deprived.

7.) Gravity. Are we allowed seven breakthroughs? If so, I learned that gravity can do all the work for you. I tried this once, but I didn't get a workout, so I went back to using my body. But seriously, it's been helpful, if not necessarily a breakthrough, to learn how to distinguish the useful ideas floating around BFR circles from the wacky quackery.

8.) Massage. Opps, I almost forgot. I discovered the importance of massaging, especially my shin muscles. I spent over a year with on-and-off-again top-of-the-foot-pain until I re-read Jimmy Hart's article on it and got clued in to 'referred pain' and how the tendons in the foot are connected to the muscles in the lower leg. I wish this breakthrough would've come a lot sooner. I would've made a lot more progress during my first year back into BFR if I had, and maybe would have even more breakthroughs to report by now. I guess this was probably the real number four on my list of breakthroughs. Actually, it's probably number one. Have the email notifications gone out yet?

0.) "Avoid pain and injury", has been, and always will be, my number one goal. And it has served me well!!!
1.) Learning to listen to your body - both the bad messages AND the good messages.
2.) Just because I "can" do it, doesn't mean I "should" do it.
3.) Quality is more important than quantity.
4.) Running is just as much about the mind and spirit, as it is about the body.
5.) I am going to be that rare 70+ year old that you occasionally see, still running.
6.) A PVC pipe and foam rollers really ARE a runner's best friend - I would absolutely NOT be able to run without them.
7.) Pavement running sucks and trail running rocks!
8.) My body is far more resilient than I originally gave it credit for.
9.) I have more in common with other barefoot runners (I mean outside of barefoot running) than I do with the general population.
10.) And most important revelation of all...everyone secretly races for the drunken beerfest and socializing at the end!!! ;)

5.) I am going to be that rare 70+ year old that you occasionally see, still running.
Is that a projected breakthrough, or are you just really young-looking for your age?

9.) I have more in common with other barefoot runners (I mean outside of barefoot running) than I do with the general population.
A unique combination of fitness-orientation and iconoclasm.

1. Feeling uncomfortable that people would think i'm nuts for running BF
2. Realizing that i was probably a sandwhich short of a picnic so i might as well just roll with it.
3. Finding out that people actually did think i was nuts.
4. Not really bothering about what people thought as i persued my BF endeavours, although i haven't resorted to painting my toenails yet, but if it makes you go faster then i'm game ;)
5. Greatful for finding this forum, with all its diversity and open mindedness.
6. Happy to be a BF runner and to shoot the breeze with you all. :)

Reactions: jldeleon

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7