My 3rd race with fellow barefooters! Woohoo! (And a mini vent session)

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
The "Get Healthy Texas 5K" on Saturday was a blast! It was my co-worker Hagan's first race, so I was instructed by my wife to be her wing man. My wife was running with her BFF, Abby. I did too good a job as wing man cause Hagan ended up beating my first 5k time by almost 2min with a 32:25! So proud of her!

The temps were in the mid 30s and a bit on the windy side, so imagine my surprise when Tonic walked up! This race was a good 40min drive for her and she's not a fan of the cold, but so glad she came! One of the guys from my Meetup.com Barefoot McKinney group, Dhruv (pronounced like Dru) also showed. He's got about 4mo of barefoot under his belt and did fantastic!

Toni did the 1 mile and reported back that the surface was grooved. She said she'd not been running much and was out of shape, but we'll circle back to that little Sand-bagger! We all went out to the starting line with about 3min till start time...supposedly. Then there were 3 people that took turns saying something over the PA that I couldn't understand while we all froze. Once they let us go, it was a good half mile before I warmed up. The course is very flat with a few down and backs, but it was nice to be able to see where you were going to end up since most of the race was unobstructed road and parking lot.

At the first down and back, I see another Barefooter! He actually just joined the site, so I hope he'll forgive me if I slaughter his name...I suck at remembering people's names and asked him twice after the race. I'm gonna go with Davadid for $200, Alex? Anyway, he killed it! I think he said he placed in his age group!

On the way back up the down and back, we see Toni and Dhruv not that far apart and maybe 1/4 back, I'd guess. I told Hagan that I'd bet money, Toni comes blowing by us with about a mile to go, cause that's what she did to me at the Barefoot race in Lewisville to beat me by about 40sec! Then we see a 7yr boy and his Mom running together and we pass them. He's walking and running. Next thing, we see his mom come up along side and get to talking. I had my Dallas Whiterock shirt on and she said that was her first Half. We chat about barefoot, wet shoes in that race and after a bit she said she had to go catch her son. The little devil had blown by us at some point, Ninja style!

2miles in and "POOF", here's Toni! She kinda startled me and I yelled, "I freakin KNEW it!!!" She slowed to chat for a bit maintaining that she was out of shape and hates the cold and blah blah blag, translation, "Ha HA, sucker! I hope you enjoyed your false hope! I will go forth and crush you now!" She then decided to take off and see if she could hold the pace. She stayed about 100 feet ahead of us, taunting us with her, "this is too easy" stride the rest of the race.

We catch up to the Mom and the boy with about half a mile to go and I tell him, "If you're Mom beats you, you're grounded!" He giggles and takes off! The Mom yells after him not to let us pass him, but Hagan and I real him in and I inform him he's grounded. Hagan finds another gear with about 200m left and we run it in just behind Toni. Dhruv is not far behind. We beat the Mom and the 7yr old, so I call that a victory! Haha! It was really cool that they gave out little medals to everyone for finishing. It was a smallish event, but a lot of fun, in spite of the cold. Trisa and her Bestie, Abby, finish in under 45min doing the 4:1, which was their goal. This was only Abby's 2nd race.

It was a blast! My only regret is, I totally suck at getting pics of these things! They had some photographers out, so I'll have to see what can be found.

The only negative was that some guy who worked at "The Field House", the building the even registration and post event activities was held in, came up to me and Dave after the race and told us we had to put on shoes. I didn't bring any and I'd seen a Martial arts instructor walking around barefoot before the race, so I just laughed my "that' so funny, get the F outta here, I'm not gonna" laugh and ignored him.

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7