Mountain climb report - Mt Adams, NH

Well, since 2 weeks ago I was looking for exactly what I am about to write in here, I figure I simply had to put it down, right?

Some friends called for a trek to Mt Adams, 1760 meters, just 154m less than Mt Washington.

I climbed mountains 10 years ago... highest was the Katahdin (1600m). Then maybe 8 years ago, Mt Albert (1154m). So the least I can say is I am not a climber :)

I run in my VFF since Xmas. 8 months. I failed with the VFF in the beginning, 13 months ago. Bought some new shoes last X-Mas and well... I used them ONCE since then. ( I have to sell them to a poor soul!! yeah I fell bad about this :)

I now run 4 times a week since 2,5 month. Before that it was 2-3 times/week. I am training for a half marathon (which, part of the training, I just ran las sunday!! - real race is sept 23rd)

So, all that so people that are about to try climbing a mountain in VFF can have a better understanding... where they stand, etc...

For the occasion I bought some pretty nice mountain shoes (Salewa Firetail GTX) which, well... glad to say, are still almost brand new (I wore them 2 days before so they would not be completely new for the climb or going down...)

Another pair of shoes for sale :) :)

For the record, my backback was weighting about 25 pounds with the water, wine (yes!), clothing, lunch for two, shoes and poles...

The climb went super great! I never even though about using the plan B shoes...!

For the occasion I bought two climbing poles. I haven't used them to go up. (I should have!!!) BUT I used them on my way down. It really made a difference, worked for me, I recommend!! So much relief for the knees!

Last thing I want would have been to destroy my precious knees a week before the half marathon, right? (Some said I was crazy to go mountaineering barefoot 7 days before my half, which I agree. But hey... I did it, that's what count... Don't be so reckless, might not work out for everyone though!)

The way down was wayyyyy harder. On the way up I was on par with the fastest climbers. Coming back, my knees and ankle were getting tired. I was literally talking to myself sometimes, telling me to stay alert. No support for the ankles means extra caution in an all terrain environment. Again I was thinking about my upcoming race and all the training I would be wasting if I was stupid :)

So the 4 pounders boot wearers were way faster. They got down a good half hour before me. Thing is, they don't really care or look 100% time where they put their shielded foot. The more I was getting tired, the more I cared. Oh and the day was pretty hot and I ran out of water 1 hour before the end. Not good. I had a 2L camel.

Total time was 7.5 hours up and down, 14km, 3000 calories, that is... 6 Big Macs worth. (Which I don't eat at all...)

My calves were destroyed. For a good 4 days straight! But then I went for a run and everything was back to normal. Hey I ran 21.1K exactly 7 days after!

In short (!) I am proud, happy and looking forward for more!!! Perfectly doable.

As always and in that particular setting, the face of the hardcore climbers checking the VFF out was priceless. I enjoyed talking about them at least three time on my way down, showing my plan B shoes getting a tourist ride in the backpack side pockets :)

Hope it can inform and inspire some others!

Patrick

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon