Miserable Run

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
It was raining (still is, for that matter) and 50 degrees, but I had already called my GF to tell her I was on my way out the door to run. I was wearing a pair of shorts, a cotton long sleeve shirt and a Goretex rain jacket. No shoes. I ran from my door, across the road and onto a paved bike trail (the Audubon Loop off the Schuylkill River Trail)

It wasn't too bad for either my body or feet. I decided I preferred to stay on the crest of the trail rather than run in the puddles. My feet stayed senitive enough to know when I hit a pebble wrong throughout the run. By the time I turned around at just under 2 miles I had to take off the hood and opened up the jacket to fly around me soon after.

I felt great for having the gumption to get out and do it.

My kids school bus got home just as I did and my 10 year old boy was NOT happy to have his mates see his crazy Dad out in the rain barefoot and be-Lycra'd. Oh, well. We can't make them happy all the time.

The only negative was that I found my first ever Blood blister on the ball of my right foot, about the size of my little finger finger print. What does one do with a blood blister?

So I'm still waiting for the

So I'm still waiting for the miserable part. ;) What you do with a blood blister is simple, you take pictures and send them to TJ. Follow the process here to take care of it: http://barefootjason.blogspot.com/2010/05/proper-care-and-feeding-of-blisters.html

Always something to be

Always something to be learned from every run, good and bad;) Gotta embrace the bitter with the sweet in order to know how gooood that sweet really is ;)

It was a good day to run in

It was a good day to run in this region. I actually got through about 3 miles with a jacket on - Fall is here. So glad my kids go to cyberschool and have no idea going barefoot and running are freakazoid things to do.

The operation was a success! 

The operation was a success! I followed BFJason's recommendations and drained the blister. It only took one hole. The relief was nearly instantaneous.

I just wonder why I tore my foot up so badly. Actually, I could feel irritation in my left foot , too, but it didn't blister. 3.5 to 4 miles was not a big deal for me. Something about the rain / wet feet. I was paying lots of attention to my cadence and form. Maybe I'll just have to dust off the Bikilas for running in the rain henceforth.

I'm very happy to have read that I'll be able to run again soon with VFF's to ease the injured parts through their recovery.

Blisters aren't really that

Blisters aren't really that much of a problem for barefooting either. My procedure last year was like this: run, take a shower, pop blisters and remove the dead skin to allow the skin underneath to dry faster, wait 24 hours and then I would be good to go again. I got blisters on almost every run at first and when I did what I did the area was more sensitive which I found helped a bit with my form. Pain is a good teacher. ;) Do this at your own risk though, removing the dead skin raises the risk of inflammation, I didn't have any problems with that but as they say, your mileage may vary.

I may have MT but I have

I may have MT but I have never gotten a blister. Tradeoffs.

Had a miserable run today

Had a miserable run today myself. Two days ago was my first BFR without the VFFs. It was so good I decided to go again today. Today, however, was horrible. My feet felt and refused to accept even the small pebbles and tiny thorns. Pain city. So I hobbled home, pondering what was different.

I think it was from wearing moccasins all day. The other day I had socks on, becuase it was cool in the house. But today, I think, the moccasins kept my feet warm AND moist, which tenderized them to the point it constituted a huge setback.

It also got me thinking about what I'm going to do when it really is too cold to run barefooted. All winter my soles are going to lose what little toughness I've built up this summer, and by Spring I'll have a long painful transition to go through again. Thoughts?

ckelly wrote:Had a miserable

ckelly said:
Had a miserable run today myself. Two days ago was my first BFR without the VFFs. It was so good I decided to go again today. Today, however, was horrible. My feet felt and refused to accept even the small pebbles and tiny thorns. Pain city. So I hobbled home, pondering what was different.

I think it was from wearing moccasins all day. The other day I had socks on, becuase it was cool in the house. But today, I think, the moccasins kept my feet warm AND moist, which tenderized them to the point it constituted a huge setback.

It also got me thinking about what I'm going to do when it really is too cold to run barefooted. All winter my soles are going to lose what little toughness I've built up this summer, and by Spring I'll have a long painful transition to go through again. Thoughts?

Ckelly, I think the gravel box idea is one of the best for inclement weather "sole toughening".

I'd take a bad day running

I'd take a bad day running and the Blood Blister!

Wet surfaces certainly do seem to increase the chance of blisters if your form isn't spot on.

Hi, Lava!  Where have you

Hi, Lava! Where have you been? I was just thinking about you the other day. Glad you're back!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon