Minimal shoe for sports?

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
Preferably for playing basketball. I used to play tons of basketball back in the day, and might be starting up again. The thought of running in traditional basketball sneakers is scarey, and don't want to destroy my achilles going back into regular shoes. Any thoughts on a all around minimal athletic shoe?

I am not a minimal footwear follower (except casual footwear), so a bit out of the loop on what's out there.

Gentile, first I think you

Gentile, first I think you need to figure out what is important for you in a shoe. For me, they must be thin and flexible, zero arch, light weight, zero drop, and wide to fit my flintstone feet. I have had a problem with finding minimalist shoes that fit these criteria and don't hurt me. I have found TP Vivobarefoot Neo shoes to be the most comfortable for me, although I do not run in them. They are made as running shoes I think, but I just use them when I go to stores or to my inlaws. They are expensive, but for me, they are well worth the price. I really think they would be ok for playing basketball, but maybe someone who is less picky or has more experiance with minimalist footwear may have some other ideas for you.

I would look for some that

I would look for some that fit a little tighter, like your KSO's. I think Vibram has one that was designed for Xfit that may work better for basketball though. Cutting can be kind of painful if your shoe is too loose.

I think inov8 has a talon shoe that may work well in the grass if you are playing field sports.

Hopefully you find something

Hopefully you find something you are happy with. Let us know when you do find something, I'm always looking for a good minimalist shoe for times when my wife does not want to be embarressed by my naked soles. :)

Hey Gentile,I play

Hey Gentile,

I play basketball too and have been thinking about the same thing. I haven't tried it yet, but taking it back to the original Converse Chuck Taylor All Star is something I have been thinking about. They seem pretty minimal and I found one that is a slim-up version of the All Star. So its a "slimmer, lighter take" on the original.

http://www.converse.com/#/products/Shoes/ChuckTaylor/113893F

I have a generic version of a low top and removed the insole. The outsole is zero drop and seems very thin. I use these as a casual shoe sometimes. The Chuck's toe box isn't all that big so that's not good if you have a wide foot. It fits my foot fine, but my foot is pretty narrow.

The best part is you can get these for $30 in some places but they are always less than $50.

Anyway, I just thought I would share. I would still recommend the hi-top for basketabll, because unlike running there is a lot of stoping and starting in all directions and your ankles will appreciate the help with support.

John

Vibram Fivefingers

Vibram Fivefingers KomodoSport LS. It's straight up made for sports with a lot of lateral cuts. I am testing a pair right now. Very nice. Also good on the trail.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7