Minimal Moves Closer To Mainstream

pbarker

Barefooters
Sep 19, 2010
Looks like RW is promoting the minimal shoes coming out.

Merrell Trail/Pace Glove wins the Best New Debut from Runners World Spring Trail Guide.

RW
"The bare-bones Glove combines a durable Vibram outsole with a traditional mesh lace-up upper—and not much else. It has a superlow heel height (only 10.7 millimeters off the ground) that leaves very little between your foot and the ground. While the thin sole is excellent for strengthening feet and legs, our testers said it made them think more about where they planted their feet since they could feel the terrain underneath. Recommended as a training tool for efficient runners. The women's model is called the Pace Glove."

Still not an endorsement for a go to shoe.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400--13856-3-1X2-3,00.html

I think the Luna sandal was the runner up. ;) Kidding!

main_img.jpg

A huarache sandal considered

A huarache sandal considered a "runner up" to a toe-binding shoe?

Merrell is advertising like

Merrell is advertising like crazy on RW, it doesn't surprise me at all.

Who would buy a shoe to wear occasionally as a training tool?

The way I see it is, these

The way I see it is, these minimalist footwear options are a whole lot better than the traditional crap that's out there. The more we support these minimalist shoe companies, the better the offerings will get, especially when they listen to their consumers...us.

Until they do listen to what

Until they do listen to what minimalist runners have been asking for, they're getting nothing from me but scorn. They want my money and I want a shoe similar to the VFF Sprint but with a roomy toebox shaped like that of Crocs and the NB Minimus Trail. If they are interested, great, let's see it.

There are several

There are several barefoot/minimalist runners working with these companies to bring about change to the design/structure of the shoes, Nyah. Jason, Angie, Dean, and Jimmy are just to name a few. Their guidance is what is making these shoes much more healthy to run in than they were before. There's more work to do, but it's a whole lot better than it used to be.

In response to the title of

In response to the title of the post in general. "Barefoot running" (quotes to really mean minamalist) are going quite mainstream here. I see HUGE amounts of VFFers around and if you include reduced shoes (read Nike frees) I think 50% of my gym are using the two.

Around here, too. We saw 2

Around here, too. We saw 2 guys today running in super low profile fashion-oriented Pumas today (http://www.futurecats.com/puma-future-cat-low-c-29/men-puma-future-cat-low-in-black-white-p-296) - serious runners. Tons of VFF's - sometimes it feels like almost 20% of the people on the trail. 75% of the other runners are in low profile shoes like the Frees.

RW is very behind the times.

RW is very behind the times. Running Tmes has a very minimalist-friendly editor and they are very up on the trend and publish useful articles.

Running Times has an ad for

Running Times has an ad for VFFs.

Today I opened the local

Today I opened the local commuter newspaper (Metro) and there was a full page ad on the second page placed by City Sports exclusively to advertise that the Trail Glove, Pace Glove and Minimus were in stores. It's more than hit the mainstream, methinks.

If minimalist footwear has

If minimalist footwear has hit the mainstream, why are the shoes that are available to us such crap? If someone were to examine the 3 shoes in that City Sports ad, they might actually think that the Merrells just needed a heel-lift and the NB Minimus just needed a last-shaped toebox.

Nyah wrote:If minimalist

Nyah said:
If minimalist footwear has hit the mainstream, why are the shoes that are available to us such crap? If someone were to examine the 3 shoes in that City Sports ad, they might actually think that the Merrells just needed a heel-lift and the NB Minimus just needed a last-shaped toebox.

I think it's absolute crap, too. I am always shocked that other barefooters can put up with wearing this stuff. I put on the trail glove and got the willies. I am not super hardcore about going bare, but I can't stand the built up stuff they say is minimalist. But alot of folks here appreciate these shoes, and it's a big step for someone in clodstompers to move down to a pace glove.

Exactly, J.  It's better than

Exactly, J. It's better than what it was (or is), and I'm sure more improvements will be made to future models. But it's a step in the right direction. We are getting there.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7