Merrell Sonic Gloves, initial impression

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Well in the title I was going to put 'bad impression' but I don't want to sound to overly pessimistic since these shoes could be great for those who fit them better. But as a 'barefoot' shoe :rolleyes: these certainly don't fit the norm. Ok, they are a tougher trail shoe, so that explains some of the bulk, thicker stiffer soles, and such, but still...

IMG_4169_800.jpg
They look great, not too flashy, and go well with jeans.

Ok so I have been searching for some minimalist shoes lately. I'm slowly switching over to being all minimalist/bf. I've got huaraches, minimalist dress shoes, and a couple pairs of VFFs. Especially now that its cooling off I'll be doing the shoe thing more and huaraches less. But VFFs can be a pain, I hate to wear them without socks, and only have a few pairs of those expensive toe socks. Plus sometimes you just dont want so much attention about your crazy toe shoes. So I've been debating for a while which 'normal' looking minimalist shoes to buy. Thought I could kill a few birds with one stone since its more for cooler temps, and I want to run trails more, thought I'd get a trail shoe, which I could use for trails, winter running, hiking, and just out and about. I had heard good things about the Merrells, and I've really liked the Vivo's I've had so was looking at those two mainly. I liked the Trail Gloves but they were just expensive. And for some reason the bright fluorescent orange ones were usually cheaper, but what I really wanted was a normal looking shoe. Well it just so happened the Sonic Gloves came in dark blue and black and my size was on a huge sale, like 60% off on amazon, so for $57 I figured I'd try them. They were suppose to be the same as the Trail Gloves but with a thicker fabric instead of mesh.

This isnt a full review, just my initial impression. I havent run trails much with them yet, and I dont have much to compare them too other than my VFFs and dress shoes. So no official review, just pointing out the stuff that I think would apply to most.

The main issue is... THEY ARE VERY NARROW! Now I never thought I had wide feet, and have NEVER had an issue with shoes not being wide enough. I've even had a few narrow sized shoes in the past. But then again I usually bought shoes bigger than my true size for a looser fit. Also size wise I think they run a little small. Both my Vivobarefoot Ra's and VFF Bikilas are size 42. 41 was my true measured size but seemed awfully tight plus for use with socks the 42 was perfect. Vivo correlates their 42 to a size 9, but Merrel says their 43 is a 9 and 42 is 8.5. I havent worn anything under 9 since I was like a kid, and I'd rather have just a little extra room than be cramped, so went with 43 with Merrel.

IMG_4171_800.jpg

Well Merrells 43 isn't any bigger than Vivo's 42 and since the material of the shoe is a lot thicker, it is smaller on the inside. The Vivo is a medium/D width. Apparently the Merrells are stick -figure guy width. Can you see how much narrower they look?

IMG_4172_800.jpg

Hard to see from the pic but the actual measured difference is a good half inch wider on the Vivos at the widest part. Also not to level the widest parts I had to move the Merrels back a half inch or so too. That could explain why I feel them squeezing up against the inside of the ball of my foot.

IMG_4173_800.jpg
You can see the width difference a little better. Not just at the widest part of the ball, but pretty much the whole way, but just slightly at the heels which is where you want it tighter anyhow.

IMG_4176_800.jpg
And now side by side with my Bikilas. Bikilas have about the same width as my Vivos.​

IMG_4177_800.jpg

IMG_4179_800.jpg

IMG_4180_800.jpg

I know many who think the VFF's arent minimalist enough. If you believe that I wouldnt even consider these then. The Merrells actually have a little EVA cushioning, along with a pretty stiff rock plate under the forefoot. But this should be good for rugged trails, just dont expect a great minimalist feel for roads or just walking around. That heel there looks almost like a regular cushioned shoe with all that EVA wrapped up around the sides, whereas the Bikilas have just a very thin coating of rubber that hardly wraps up the sides at all.

Another negative is these things are hot! I've tried to wear them around a few days, to work also. My feet burn up in these things. The fabric is kind of like a heavy canvas to me, not breathable at all. Some other minor complaints... these things have a lot more cushion under the arch too. I know on the trail thats a sensitive spot but while walking around these things feel like they have as much arch support as any regular hiking boot I've ever had. They also feel like they need a break in, with the fabric of the shoe being a little stiff around the heels and openings. The inner fabric is also very grabby. I don't know how else to say it, but since these shoes are so dang tight its hard as heck to put em on with socks. Especially regular socks, they want to stick to the sides as you put em on and when you finally get your foot in the sock is pulled so tight your toes are like under pressure! Injinjis, especially the thinner wool ones, work much better. They glide in easier, and even if they drag on the way in they dont put pressure on the tips of your toes but in between them which is fine. But I bought these so I wouldnt have to wear the toe socks!

So right off the bat without really even testing them on the trail much I can tell you that unless you have very narrow feet and dont mind hot shoes, I would look elsewhere. I can honestly say I really want to like them and hope maybe they loosen up a little after breaking them in, but I would have sent them back already hadn't I worn them out on a safari the first day I had em.
facepalm.gif

IMG_4179_800.jpg

This is a good example of what to focus on when contemplating the purchase of an un-tried shoe. After seeing the shape of the Merrells, from their very first so-called minimallist offering, the Trail Glove, to everything else they've offered since, I know what my foot will feel like while wearing them. Altra and the ill-named Leming are the only brands, that I'm aware of, making minimalist shoes without using lasts brought over from conventional shoes.

Interesting perspective, Tristan. I use the Sonic Gloves for winter use. Being female, I find the width fine, but I certainly agree they would be too narrow for most men. They are rather stiff in general, but work great for rocky areas.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out Jason Robillard's review of the Flux Glove Sport at Barefootrunninguniversity.com. It might be better suited for you.

Wow! I nearly ordered a pair earlier today. I tried on the Trail Glove and it felt like it was just wide enough but they don't have the Sonic locally. Nor did they have KSO's in my size (42). I am glad that I didn't press the "order" button. Instead, I ordered a pair of KSO's which came to only 65 dollars total to Alaska. Not bad.

I love the look of you black Vivo's. Those would be perfect for work wear. Are they non-slip?

I haven't seen anything yet that compares to Stems *ahem* Lemings :rolleyes: in terms of fit and comfort. It's pretty much the only shoe I wear these days, every day to the office, aside from cycling shoes. When I run it's either real BF or in VFF's.

PB - I must have missed that review, I'll check it out. BTW I think these would probably be great if they were simply wider, and it seem the trail gloves which they are similar to do come in wide, but then I'm back to paying like $100 which I don't plan on doing. I just didnt expect them to be so narrow, but I should have tried to find them locally first. I always use the excuse that even return shipping is cheaper than gas for me to drive into town to try them first, but I made the mistake of wearing them out all day and I should have worn them around inside on the carpet.

And yeah, I suppose these would fit a womens foot better assuming it was narrower.

DrD - Well those Bikilas are 42, not sure how they compare to KSO's but width wise they are fine on my foot. Although the one pic that PB quoted it seems my foot actually looks wider the the shoe does my foot do literally fit inside them, so it might depend on what your used too. If your used to shoes that fit tighter than maybe they would be fine (I assume the Trail Gloves you tried were the normal and not wide version?), but I dont think it promotes good minimalist form and feel if they are tight in the forefoot. But perhaps they would work for you. I can wear them around, I just wouldnt say the squeeze is ideal. Wore them all day today for jeans and sneakers friday. I think the fabric is loosening up a little, and I keep the laces pretty loose to promote that.

And yeah I really like the Vivos for the office. They are very non slip. If you try to make then slip they squeal on a smooth surface worse than any basketball shoe on a basketball court does. Its a very soft & grippy rubber. Thats all just IMO they arent like OSHA rated non slip or something like what a work boot is rated for, but on a hard smooth floor they are more grippy than my non slip work boots. I haven't tested them on ice yet... give me a couple months.

Patrick - If I get a pair for just out and about those will be on my short list to consider. I dont think they would classify as business shoes for my office though, but the Vivos work great for that. I'm just not one to wear dress clothes except for when I am required to, so thats why I'm wanting another pair of shoes.

Just an update...

I haven't really worn these since the initial review. I mean I did try to wear them back then a few times around the house and to work, but they were just to hot! Figured I'd save em for cold weather, and thats why I broke em out today.

IMG_4492_800.jpg

First run on snow this year. I got the laces way stretched out and the shoes are a little more broken in so they don't squeeze quite as bad though I'd gladly take the wide width if only it was available. I normaly wear the ultra thin liner weight Injinji wool socks, but I havent done laundry in a while and defaulted back to my old UA synthetic running socks though they are a bit thicker.

Todays conditions... 28F mix of smooth pavement, rough eroded pavement, chipseal, trail with gravel sections and dirt sections, mix of slush, snow, and ice (1-2" at most). I could tell with 95% certainty that with the VFF I wore last winter my feet would have been very cold from snow/slush getting in between my toes. With these I was kind of worried they would still be too hot, but temp wise they were perfect. A little cool at first, but warmed up and cruised in my comfort zone. No snow or slush soaked through, and my feet werent quite to the sweating point, so they were surprisingly dry at the end! I'd say for freezing temps or less and snow, these will be my go to minishoes. I still had some issues that my feet have had running in anything other than bare, but thats for a different thread. The only real negative today I could think about them for using in these conditions was they were slippery on icy roads. I had to be very careful and still had my foot shoot out a few times. I'd usually head to side of the road were there was a bit of snow for the shoes to bite into. Kind of reminds me back of wearing spikes in high school cross country. We wore 5/8" spikes for races, but was thinking pin spikes would be great for ice! They probably don't make such a thing for minimalist do they? They had great traction on the slushy, loose and firm snow, etc. Just the ice was a problem, but thats to be expected with most shoes.

i have some trail gloves, or had, and some tough gloves. i can wear them with the laces untied and run with them that way without any problems. tying the laces makes the shoes too tight. try them that way and see if that helps.

i have some trail gloves, or had, and some tough gloves. i can wear them with the laces untied and run with them that way without any problems. tying the laces makes the shoes too tight. try them that way and see if that helps.
If you are running with them untied Mike, does that not mean that you need the wide versions of the shoe? Somethings wrong if you can't wear a shoe tied... That's why I don't have a pair of the TG anymore. I would love to try the wides, but nobody local has them in the wide and I hate ordering shoes online.

it's what i have to do to wear them comfortably. there was no choice for wide when i got them. i learned of altra's "no tie" method. don't ask me to link it because i won't be able to find it. it works though. especially since i'm high across the instep.

Reactions: NickW
I actually had to tie them tighter today, with the laces a bit loose the opening (mainly when flexed) would cause a gap on the outside of the ankle and snow would get inside the shoe there. Snugged the laces just a little (the end atleast, left em loose up by the toes) and that helped keep the snow out. I wasnt too worried about form or anything, going through about 8" of snow threw my form way off anyhow. Luckily there were some ski tracks to help, but of course the shoes are wider than the skis so there was still some drag trying to lift me feet, and I sank in another inch or two compared to the ski tracks. It was 31ºF and working through 6" of snow or more worked up a bit of heat in the shoes, but they still didn't soak through except a little bit around the ankle. This is my first run in deeper snow and I think I'll stick to the roads from now on when the snow gets that deep!