Marathon training

macdiver

Barefooters
Dec 22, 2010
I'm thinking of running my first marathon next fall. Have any of y'all used one of the 1st time marathon programs like Higdon or Galloway barefoot?

Is there a better program for barefoot first timers? I figure I will have from march 1st though end of sept or oct to prepare (30 weeks give or take).

A little history, before I quit for the winter I was running 3 miles 3 x per week with a 4 miler as my longest.

I did my first marathon

I did my first marathon (2007, in shoes) with the book The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer, by Whitsett, Dolgener, and Kole (well, first if I don't count my DNF in 2002). 16 weeks, plus an additional 'preliminary program' to get up to the starting level of 30 minutes of running (any pace) 4 times per week.

Pros: It is a comprehensive training program with physical and psychological aspects suitable for someone who doesn't run, is coming back to running, or doesn't do high mileage.

Cons: It's a shoe-y kind of book, so there is a bit of info to be ignored in terms of gear and form.

Possible Cons (depending on the runner): It is designed around one goal only: to finish a marathon. Time goals, weight goals, no-walking goals are all discouraged.

Bottom line: I like it, although I don't really have any basis of comparison. I'm pretty sure that I will have to abandon it if I want to PR this fall though.

I'll be running my first

I'll be running my first marathon the end of May and am following this schedule...I sort of just put it together based on some other plans so can't say for sure that it follows any true marathon plan. It's about 30 weeks of training.

Yes keep running. The

Yes keep running. The marathon is along way off and time is on your side. It is hard to focus on a goal for that long so find other running
goals to keep the modvation up. Your body will thank you on marathon day.

Just go for it. My longest

Just go for it. My longest run ever prior to my first marathon was 9 miles (I usually average 6-8 a day) and that was 3 months before the marathon. I know what you are thinking and sure I could have prepared better, but where is the fun in that? I had less then 2 weeks to prepare for the marathon, you have plenty of time to be prepared. For my next marathon I am going to prepare better but given the situation I was in I had little time to prepare.

I ran 3 quality runs a

I ran 3 quality runs a week.

One for speed, one for hills, and a long run. If I wanted to run just because then that was fine.

I planned out my progress mainly on the long run. I did a long run of marathon distance before the race and new I was ready. It helped to have done the distance since not once in my marathon did I question my ability to finish.

I didn't have any injuries and I didn't run when I didn't want to.

AngieBee's got the key:  Have

AngieBee's got the key: Have fun through every step of the way there if you can. Don't miss the joy of just running without it having to fit into some structure People can make themselves miserable with plans.

...and do find a way to run as much as you can around the snow. Winter running is good for your soul (soles).

While I realize most of you

While I realize most of you keep running in the winter and the cold does not bother you, I absolutely hate the cold. That is why I stopped running for the winter. I don't have access to a treadmill to run inside. My winter routine is focused on weight lifting and gaining muscle. I am following a full body, progressive, muscle building routine. While it does not equate to running, it keeps me in the exercise mode. I'll start running again in March when the morning temps are above freezing (my threshold of pain).

If you're looking for a way

If you're looking for a way to keep some cardio & foot strength over winter, you might want to try barefoot jumping rope, if you have enough space. I don't really have any science to back that up, but it's aerobic, and landing on the feet might help keep the 'shock absorber' muscles/tendons/bones stronger. Going barefoot inside (or wearing warm socks instead of shoes) when you can is a good idea, too.

If you can't run in winter, make sure in spring that you ease into it. TMTS isn't just for first timers.

I like doing barefoot

I like doing barefoot Plyometrics in the winter. I am not a fan of winter either. I don't get out much in the cold mainly from being too depressed to get out the door. Did I mention i really don't like winter!!

I do like some aspects of P90X and the Plyometrics is great. I need the structure of doing it to a DVD but you could make your own workout too. Just keep moving and try to be barefoot as much as you can.

Did you see the gravel box training video? I don't have the youtube link in front of me but it would help to keep your feet conditioned.

GeorgesRun wrote:If you're

GeorgesRun said:
If you're looking for a way to keep some cardio & foot strength over winter, you might want to try barefoot jumping rope, if you have enough space. I don't really have any science to back that up, but it's aerobic, and landing on the feet might help keep the 'shock absorber' muscles/tendons/bones stronger. Going barefoot inside (or wearing warm socks instead of shoes) when you can is a good idea, too.

If you can't run in winter, make sure in spring that you ease into it. TMTS isn't just for first timers.

I do go around barefoot inside the house all the time (socks only in the winter). Always have. I also do all my weight lifting barefoot.

Jumping rope may be a good idea. I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to make it a full cardio exercise though. /build2/sites/all/modules/smileys/packs/Roving/wink.png

Mac!I used Greta Waitz's

Mac!

I used Greta Waitz's book "Run Your First Marathon"

http://www.amazon.com/Run-Your-First-Marathon-Everything/dp/1616080361/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293817352&sr=8-1

It was helpful espeshily with the mileage and the weeks. Like other books it does not focus at all on form or BF for that matter but it has good information regarding preparation and other odds and ends. I ran my first marathon Shod and followed the schedule and did great. I found it easy to follow and it gave good break weeks. I did a slightly modified version for my BF marathon but it was close. I decided on 2 taper weeks in stead of 3 and that seemed to work better for me.

I would agree that trying to get outside even if it's in VFF's or ZEM's will be very helpful in preparing for a marathon.

You can do it. Be careful, have fun!

i DO NOT recommend jumping

i DO NOT recommend jumping rope bf. hitting that leather rope with your toes is very painful. i had to stop. if you can do it, then more power to you. as for me, when i decide to pick up the rope, i'll do it with shoes.

good luck,

mike

reading the post about using

reading the post about using a bucket of gravel to keep the feet tough in the winter makes me realize I really should be running this winter.

The AC marathon is Oct 16, which should give me enough time to prepare if I start running March 1st. I think I'll start training then sign up in the early summer if training is going well.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon