Luna Sandal Equus Lace Review

I got your email earlier on

I got your email earlier on this SP. I was going to ask if we could place it on the front page, but of course, I will have to go through it looking for that special SP humor we all know and love so well. ;-)

How thick are the Luna? Does Ted use the same thickness for all of his sandals, or does he offer different thicknesses? I ask because they look thick in the pictures.

As a training run for a 50

As a training run for a 50 miler I'm doing in April I ran a trail half-marathon with my Lunas and my new Equus laces this past Saturday (12 Feb). It was called the Dances With Dirt Half in Dade City, Florida. The other races involved with this were a 50m, 50K, marathon, and 10K. Much of it was running through swamp. Not a whole lot of rocks but definite swamp with some hills and some off-road, non-trail running. Also did a river crossing. The sandals with the new laces worked great until I hit that river crossing with about two miles left to finish. Once I got out of the water the tops of the sandals were so slick I finally had to take them off and finish the thing barefoot.

The new laces worked great. The last long race I did with my Lunas was the Disney marathon about a month ago with hemp laces and they worked well but what I like about the Equus laces is not having to tie them up above my ankle. They also feel better against my skin. The ability to take them off and put them right back on again is also really great. I didn't notice much difficulty with getting them properly readjusted when putting them back on so that wasn't an issue for me.

Once thing I noticed on this half-marathon that I also noticed when I was running the Disney marathon is pain in my left foot at the point where the lace goes betwen the big toe and the toe next to it. I had hoped the new laces would prevent this burning pain but it didn't seem to matter. It seems to be some kind of nerve pain in the toe that is next to the big toe on my left foot. After running about 10 miles with either the hemp laces or the Equus laces it begins to alternate between burning and becoming numb. I've never had that happen until I started running in huaraches. For some reason that lace presses up against my toe on my left foot and burns. So far I haven't tried any cushioning under the lace but I'm getting there because it really hurts after a while. There's no skin damage, so it's not rubbing. The pressure just seems to cause a nerve to malfunction.

TJ, of course you can use it

TJ, of course you can use it for the front page. There isn't a lot of the traditional SP humor, so it's probably fine.

The original Lunas are 6mm. Ted has a 2mm Equus model, which uses a special kind of leather top and sells for $130, then he has the Leadville, which is 10mm for around $110. I think he might have a 4mm as well....not sure.

i got some new equus and i

i got some new equus and i love them. i have to learn how to adjust the laces. when i got them i was soo excited that i couldn't pay enough attention to follow the video. i just put them on and went after loosening one lace and struggling to retie it.

the equus sandals are 4mm thick. 2mm for the leather and 2mm for the rubber. the reason i paid for them was Ted says you can replace the rubber when needed and use the same leather. cool. if that's true i can make that investment. nobody has had anything good to say about the lunas with the suede top and rain. we get a lot of rain here in Oregon so i needed something to keep my foot from sliding around. Ted said he had no probs so i went with them and i had no probs yesterday in the rain.

i just took my dog for a walk in the falling snow/slushy ground in my lunas with hemp laces. they held well. my foot slips in them always.i guess i sweat too much. toes aren't numb, just got red. i was slipping until i started running and they gripped great.

i like switching between the two models. there's not a lot of ground feel and i like it. i had some invisible shoes and while i liked those sometimes my soles couldn't handle gravel. i don't feel it in either of these and the new laces keep the soles bound to your foot nicely.

mike

I really like the suede top

I really like the suede top as well migangelo. It is super comfy. I'm not a big naked top huarache fan because the material just feels cold and wet all the time to me.

I don't find that the suede top gets too slippery when wet. I went for a run in them yesterday and stepped in a bunch of huge puddles. They got completely soaked. No issues...

for real? i've read comments

for real? i've read comments from others that it did so i didn't get them. someone from here also said they had problems with their suede top so i thought it would just be better to stay away from them.

i'm only having trouble with my left foot in them. it keeps turning in. i know i have them tied right as i had the other ones for close to a year. maybe i just need to trim down the lunas and it won't slide anymore.

mike

The suede will get slippery,

The suede will get slippery, but I find that it doesn't unless it is totally soaked. Last time it happened was after I crossed a creek in them during a trail run. They were submerged for a minute or so there. Otherwise, nothing...

migangelo wrote:  i'm only

migangelo said:
i'm only having trouble with my left foot in them. it keeps turning in. i know i have them tied right as i had the other ones for close to a year. maybe i just need to trim down the lunas and it won't slide anymore.

Try relacing them so that they lace through the back holes from bottom to top rather than top to bottom and then make sure the heel segment is tighter than the rest. It should stay put if you lace them neatly. Fixed the same issue for me. I finally took a good 30 minutes of independently moving each lace segment back and forth in different combinations until I figured out what each adjustment did for fit. Also, the turning in was made worse by form. I didn't realize I was rotating that leg as I lifted off my toes. The relacing stopped the sliding but I corrected the form anyway.

I met up with Sweeney last

I met up with Sweeney last weekend and he let me run around the parking lot in his. I'm a fan. The laces are a lot more comfortable then the leather ones I currently have on my Lunas.

I do have some concern regarding the stretchiness and Pat agreed that he doesn't like to use them when he is racing since they stretch all over the place when he is banking around corners and such.

I will probably get me a pair for casual every day running and walking around and maybe even use them in a race or two where speed isn't my top goal.

I am very excited about luna,

I am very excited about luna, i am yet to own a pair but im going to pick up a pair.

what would you suggest for a new luna starter?

How long do they last?

and is it just the laces i will have to switch out often?

thank you for the info.

The Original Luna is, at

The Original Luna is, at least to me, the standard by which all other huaraches are judged. Can't go wrong with it. I would say buy one without the suede top to start, just to make sure you like it. You can always add one later. Start with an 1/2 inch Equus lace. It is the most comfortable and easiest to tie. If you want traditional laces as well, I'd recommend the hemp over the leather. The leather takes a lot of fiddling to get right, and isn't for beginners in my opinion.

I have several hundred miles on my Lunas and they don't show any significant wear. I've broken a lace, but that's just a couple bucks to replace. The footbed on mine is starting to come off as well, but again...that can also be replaced. They will last you dang near forever in my estimation.

sounds good brother i will be

sounds good brother i will be oredering mine here in a week or so thank you for the info

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7